Autumn in Stoke wood

I would honestly like to see considerably more contrast and color here. Maybe you were going for a foggy look but without the actual fog this doesn't really work for me.

#2 for me, nice muted colours ... #1 & #3 would be better IMO if the distracting top edge were cropped out :)

I would honestly like to see considerably more contrast and color here. Maybe you were going for a foggy look but without the actual fog this doesn't really work for me.

Thanks for taking the time to comment Tomas, I really appreciate it. There was a little mist about, though not a lot, and you're right that I've tried to encourage that look a bit more through gentle split toning and crushed blacks. Thing is, in real life the scene was quite a lot like this, but the raw images were much too contrasty, and I didn't want the usual high-vibrance autumn look. But I may well have gone too far the other way, and so your perspective is good.

Such delicate, soft and sensuous images. Love #1 & #2 in particular, but overall a lovely series IMO

Thanks D, glad you like them. :)

Nice shots. I would have edited them slightly differently but that's what makes the world go round ;) The second image is my favourite though.

Your autumn colour shots have been a high point in the A7 thread recently, Lee, and I think that 2 is my preffered shot as well.

#2 for me, nice muted colours ... #1 & #3 would be better IMO if the distracting top edge were cropped out :)

Thanks Gramps - I may well do a re-edit to focus on the trunks more and include fewer leaves & bits of sky.

Thanks for taking the time to comment Tomas, I really appreciate it. There was a little mist about, though not a lot, and you're right that I've tried to encourage that look a bit more through gentle split toning and crushed blacks. Thing is, in real life the scene was quite a lot like this, but the raw images were much too contrasty, and I didn't want the usual high-vibrance autumn look. But I may well have gone too far the other way, and so your perspective is good.

Autumn is all about vibrant colours so there is nothing wrong with it...
I think the key about foggy look is gradual fading of contrast deeper into the scene; the foreground I expect would retain nearly standard levels of blacks and contrast. I'm not sure if this is easily achievable in post without spending hours, or all else by dropping a few smoke cans in the distance

These are 3 very nice images. No 1 is my personal favourite.
One comment I would like to make is that 1 & 3 which are in "portrait orientation" are difficult to appreciate when they have been posted so large. Having to scroll down to see the full image is rather off-putting. I did click on them and view them on Flickr to see them in their full glory but wouldn't it be much better if they were reduced in size before posting and that step was not needed?
Perhaps I'm missing something as no-one else seems to make the same comment??:cautious::asshat:

These are 3 very nice images. No 1 is my personal favourite.
One comment I would like to make is that 1 & 3 which are in "portrait orientation" are difficult to appreciate when they have been posted so large. Having to scroll down to see the full image is rather off-putting. I did click on them and view them on Flickr to see them in their full glory but wouldn't it be much better if they were reduced in size before posting and that step was not needed?
Perhaps I'm missing something as no-one else seems to make the same comment??:cautious::asshat:

You're probably right about the sizing. I find it difficult to remember about that, and don't usually bother to re-size portrait stuff, but perhaps I should.

I like less contrast than most when I process but these seem a bit too washed out - I certainly don't think you need to fill all the histogram and usually make a point of leaving a bit of room at both ends (what's the point of having a camera with lots of dynamic range only to kill it all in curves/levels removing lots of fine detail with obscene blacks and whites that just wouldn't be there) but there is room here for a bit more visual punch.

Woodland isn't my thing but there isn't neither enough mist to add a sense of mystery, or enough punch to pull you in. They're just a bit too flat.

I like less contrast than most when I process but these seem a bit too washed out - I certainly don't think you need to fill all the histogram and usually make a point of leaving a bit of room at both ends (what's the point of having a camera with lots of dynamic range only to kill it all in curves/levels removing lots of fine detail with obscene blacks and whites that just wouldn't be there) but there is room here for a bit more visual punch.

Woodland isn't my thing but there isn't neither enough mist to add a sense of mystery, or enough punch to pull you in. They're just a bit too flat.

Thanks Steve. I understand about the lack of dark tones particularly, and they could probably have been a bit stronger in that area without losing too much of the softness. I suppose this is something of a response to the pictures I see with strong contrast and luminous colours presented as autumn.

Is this Stoke Wood near Bicester? I've been there a few times but not come away with anything I liked yet. Cracking images and it's a lovely place, I'll probably go back there this weekend.

Is this Stoke Wood near Bicester? I've been there a few times but not come away with anything I liked yet. Cracking images and it's a lovely place, I'll probably go back there this weekend.

That's the one Mark, and thank you. There are some lovely nooks and crannies - these were mostly on the far side from the carpark.

Back