SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Time for some nice bright reflections. I always like taking a walk round Lochan na h-Ahclaise and seeing what I can come up with. I had been here since dawn but the sun didn't break through until a good 2hrs after "sunrise" so none of these have the subtle golden rich lighting I crave but the stillness is hard to beat. Rarely is it ever so calm up there and these are the conditions I love being out and about in.

_DSC9746 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC9748 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC9754 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC9759 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC9760 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC9763 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Lovely set of landscapes

Reactions: ST4
That's a nice set Steve, I think No2 and 3 are my favourites. The changing colour in those grasses gives the impression of golden light, certainly imparts some nice rich tones. Nice reflections throughout. Lovely light in 1. Nice work again...

It's beatiful at this time of year, just before the snow comes and covers everything !

These are all kick arse good Steve.
One and two really speak to me.

Very nice. It's a toss-up between no's 1 and 2 for me. I love the necklace of cloud in no 2 but the greater expanse of sun in no 1 is good too.

What a fabulous spot. In theory a mirror calm lake is so calming but the photographer goes and spoils it all by taking photographs. This one does anyway.

Very nice. It's a toss-up between no's 1 and 2 for me. I love the necklace of cloud in no 2 but the greater expanse of sun in no 1 is good too.

What a fabulous spot. In theory a mirror calm lake is so calming but the photographer goes and spoils it all by taking photographs. This one does anyway.

Don't worry this photographer uses live view which enables mirror lock up which in turn makes the act of taking photographs quiet and peaceful ;)

All very nice Steve, I'm particularly fond of no.3 but if I'm nitpicking it feels a little cluttered with the amount of foreground rocks.
No.2 is also very nice.
The last one seems unbalanced somewhat probably due to the bottom dominant rock and cluster being quite centralised.
Nice set though mate.

All very nice Steve, I'm particularly fond of no.3 but if I'm nitpicking it feels a little cluttered with the amount of foreground rocks.
No.2 is also very nice.
The last one seems unbalanced somewhat probably due to the bottom dominant rock and cluster being quite centralised.
Nice set though mate.

Thanks.

That spot where I took 3 is very cluttered but I like it for that reason. It's a feast for the eyes and the sheer volume of features when you're there has your eyes darting all over the place in amazement. Although I always aim to present work that has a soothing feel I wanted to mix it up a little and show some of the chaos that nature has thrown into the mix. One one level the image is calm and serene but on another full of the chaos that is the natural landscape

I agree about 6, I tried cropping it differently but then you cut off other features and start moving key things to close to the frame edge. It's a hard one

Thanks.

That spot where I took 3 is very cluttered but I like it for that reason. It's a feast for the eyes and the sheer volume of features when you're there has your eyes darting all over the place in amazement. Although I always aim to present work that has a soothing feel I wanted to mix it up a little and show some of the chaos that nature has thrown into the mix. One one level the image is calm and serene but on another full of the chaos that is the natural landscape

I agree about 6, I tried cropping it differently but then you cut off other features and start moving key things to close to the frame edge. It's a hard one

Fair points mate!

But don't you feel the pressure to get results whenever you come across a beautiful scene? As you know it can be over in a minute or less...

It can often be that way, particularly with the light coming and going but you just do what you can. I live nearby, I'll be back countless times before I'll die (I'm 31) so I know I'll always manage to get the shot I want some day)

The worst one is Kilchurn when there is fisherman there. It's quite exposed so reflections come and go anyway then these pesky fly fisherman can ruin it too. Which kind of happened last week but I got two ok ones.

With this series the forecast was for 1mph winds with gusts of 2mph from sunrise to 12pm, wind just wasn't on the agenda. That's reflection weather the only issue would be light. But you wait for light. I was in position for 2hrs before it came, just waiting focused and composed. When it came I took the shot then wandered round taking a few more making this series.

Right now I'm reviewing forecasts for the next few days. Probably reflections going in Perthshire so that is where I will go

Last edited:
It can often be that way, particularly with the light coming and going but you just do what you can. I live nearby, I'll be back countless times before I'll die (I'm 31) so I know I'll always manage to get the shot I want some day)

The worst one is Kilchurn when there is fisherman there. It's quite exposed so reflections come and go anyway then these pesky fly fisherman can ruin it too. Which kind of happened last week but I got two ok ones.

With this series the forecast was for 1mph winds with gusts of 2mph from sunrise to 12pm, wind just wasn't on the agenda. That's reflection weather the only issue would be light. But you wait for light. I was in position for 2hrs before it came, just waiting focused and composed. When it came I took the shot then wandered round taking a few more making this series.

Right now I'm reviewing forecasts for the next few days. Probably reflections going in Perthshire so that is where I will go

Another weather obsessive.........well you have to be, don't you........:)

Like these Steve, some good foreground interest and nice reflections. I actually like the portrait ones best with the 3rd my favourite, seems like a little more thought on the comps in these 2.

One is my favourite, especially in a toss up between 1 and 2, as you can see more of the lovely reflections.

The wide pano is nice too.

Lovely set Steve all are good #4 is my fave as I rather like the effect the curved grass has on it

I like 1&3 compositionally, with 1 the best with the quality of the light, excellent shot. I like 2 as well although the patch of grass cutting in from the left detracts a touch in comparison with 1. - the rock in the last one is taking over a bit too much for it to work I think although I can see why you've took it for something different.

I like 1&3 compositionally, with 1 the best with the quality of the light, excellent shot. I like 2 as well although the patch of grass cutting in from the left detracts a touch in comparison with 1. - the rock in the last one is taking over a bit too much for it to work I think although I can see why you've took it for something different.

Thanks.

I've got a better composed version of the last scene im going to work on. It's not sitting right but when I crop it im putting key elements to close to the frame edge and cutting off things that'll distract the viewer.

I wanted in two to show some of the form of the landscape and use the grasses in the foreground and the outcrop to push point the viewers eyes towards the mountains in the top left. It's a bit different to my normal approach though so may need to work on that.

Like them all but my pet hate is all the reeds in loch's!
That said, #2 for me is 5* and the stand out, the light works on the whole image and it works on the reeds too!

Like them all but my pet hate is all the reeds in loch's!
That said, #2 for me is 5* and the stand out, the light works on the whole image and it works on the reeds too!

I normally like unbroken reflections and a simple clean mirror image. Symmetry is beauty and all that.

With this place though you just have to go with it. It's utter chaos. Rocks, reeds, small islands there's actually very little landscapes like it.

For those of us who deliver workshops it's a gift as we can use it to teach the importance of front to back sharpness and how do achieve it in the field. There are endless compositions going and it's easy enough terrain. It looks like the wildness and feels like it unless the a82 which is just behind me is busy. Then it roars with traffic and horns blare at all the badly parked cars half off the road half in the road.

Best to come early in the am on a weekday when the plastic point and shoot camera and selfie stick brigade aren't about.

Stunning area Ranch Moor, I know exactly where you were to take these shots lol, Beautiful, I was in the exact location at winter time but didn't manage to catch anything as nice as this that time.

No.5 is my pick of the set although a good set. Can you arrange a dusting of snow for next week please when I'm up there?

All up to your usual standard Steve, very nice. The last portrait format image is my pick but it's a close run thing.

I see you use live view, something I've started doing, especially on my Fuji. How do you get on with battery life and do you get any noise issues with the sensor being 'on' for long periods?

All up to your usual standard Steve, very nice. The last portrait format image is my pick but it's a close run thing.

I see you use live view, something I've started doing, especially on my Fuji. How do you get on with battery life and do you get any noise issues with the sensor being 'on' for long periods?

Battery life is biblically s*** with it on. I have 2 bodies and just one battery in each. I fully charge both before I go and have an in car charger too.

In between shots I turn the camera off to cool the thing down.

Noise during long exposures is bad actually with a lot of hot pixels now. But none of my bodies are in their infancy :(

Fine set Ste.

I was just thinking about getting out for some Autumnal colour but then went and got myself a double fractured right leg lol

Nice set. Beautiful location(s).

Brilliant set Steve.... love Rannoch Moor, helluva a way from Cambridgeshire. (I get some time when I work in Glasgow but there's nothing quite like having some dedicated time - envious)

Another good group there, Steve.

I really like the simplicity of the last one and it is good to see a landscape shot taken on a grey day. The light and autumn colurs in the first two are great too.

Dave

Another good group there, Steve.

I really like the simplicity of the last one and it is good to see a landscape shot taken on a grey day. The light and autumn colurs in the first two are great too.

Dave

If you like grey day landscapes pop onto my other thread where the is no sunlight going...LOL.

Your post is making my mind up, its still up in the Coe today but very grey. Might take a run at Loch Achcrocitan again...

Back