Autumn selection (7 pictures) picture added

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
A selection of pictures taken over the last week in and around the Scottish Highlands.
Since coming back from the Outer Hebrides in August I lost all motivation or any interest in taking new pictures, partially down to the summer season and partially felt burnt out. Lots of landscapers feel like that over those months, but I'm glad to say with the change of season the motivation is back by the bucket load.

A walk through Steall Gorge last week. Very little light on show but for ten seconds a small amount punched through the thick heavy clag to illuminate Sgurr a'Bhuic.

Through Steall by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

Some birch perched high up on Steall's blue black rock.

do not delete by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

The mountain needs no introduction. I'd walked this section of The Coupall the previous day when it was in spate after two days and nights of heavy rain. Picked out a couple of foregrounds I'd like to use but returning for sunrise the next day they had all dried up. Such is the nature of Glencoe the rivers rise as quick as they fall.

do not delete-3 by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

Nowt special, a very simple shot of Criese. I just liked the way the first light hit it's eastern slope filtered by the fine drizzle which was in the air at the time. I was taking this shot at the same time as the shot above. It's for such circumstances it pays to lug around two bodies.

do not delete-4 by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

Decided to take a walk up Stob nan Cabar for a nosey. You never see shots from up here and for a very good reason, there's much doing, but did like this tree clinging on to life. You have to admire natures determination. The Aonach Eagach Ridge in the background looking quite tame in the gloomy Scottish clag.

do not delete-6 by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

Wasn't going to bother with this picture but did end up processing it. Taken yesterday to show the crazy skies the UK witnessed during storm Ophelia accentuated with the dust and smoke from Portugal's wild fires. Looks like a sunset but was taken in the middle of the afternoon.

do not delete-7 by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

And lastly, Loch nan Uamh viaduct on the West Highland Line. Probably the most scenic rail line in the world.

do not delete-8 by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

Please excuse the Flickr titles on the pictures, most of these are not public so it's just a reminder to myself.
Thanks for looking. Scott.

I know how you feel Scott about the summer months and long days trying to squeeze in a sunrise and sunset. I'm not a fan at all but then happily sit in the rain or snow and think its heaven during winter with a flask and camera to hand.
Anyway I digressed, but when I see the third one from that mountain it fills my heart with what the next few months will hopefully offer. And then POW, No.1 and No.5 are exactly why I love the winter months going up North amongst the mountain areas, brief moments of light and that's the day sorted.
Looking forward to more images like that ;)

You're hired! :):):)

That light is gorgeous!

Great work, l can only dream of capturing scenes like those.

:clap::clap:

Lovely work Scott.

Fabulous set Scott, no,3 being my pick but all wonderful (making me feel a little more excited about my trip up that way next week)

Great shots.... #1, #3 & #7 I would hang on my wall :)

Thanks Scott, appreciate that. Likewise congratulations on your too.
Thought the book might have arrived in the post today.
Ordered last years book before the results were out and received two as part of the prize packages so ended up with three last year.

A very good set of landscapes, #3 is most impressive :clap:

I wouldn't delete them either!

#1 is my fave. Lovely light. Right place, right time? Maybe but that's what it's all about, no luck involved!

Thanks folks, appreciate the kind comments.

I wouldn't delete them either!

#1 is my fave. Lovely light. Right place, right time? Maybe but that's what it's all about, no luck involved!

Thanks, quite a bit of luck Mark. Only one of those shots is from setting up and waiting for the right light to arrive. All others are from wanders just shooting what catches the eye, what appeals or what comes my way. Much prefer to operate this way reacting to the conditions to catch brief fleeting light. Never seen the sense of sitting at one spot filling up a card with all the same shots, like to explore an area over an over again looking for something new or different from what I've seen before..

Thanks folks, appreciate the kind comments.

Thanks, quite a bit of luck Mark. Only one of those shots is from setting up and waiting for the right light to arrive. All others are from wanders just shooting what catches the eye, what appeals or what comes my way. Much prefer to operate this way reacting to the conditions to catch brief fleeting light. Never seen the sense of sitting at one spot filling up a card with all the same shots, like to explore an area over an over again looking for something new or different from what I've seen before..
Excellent but I still say no luck involved.

Or you make your own ;)

You chose when and where to take a walk with a camera. A lucky shot would be taking a random snap out of your living room window and capturing a nice sunset.

A masterful set I must say! #1 is spectacular, beautiful light, tones and contrast. I am also drawn to #5, such raw beauty, love the tree, this is my second pick it has an extraordinary compelling feel about it.
#3 & #4 have a hairs breadth between them, the shutter speed in #3 is just so, its given that immediate foreground an additional element that movement in the water has real interest and texture about it.
The muted autumn tones throughout are really appealing.
Superb set(y)

Omg. Those are just stunning. Fabulous compositions amazing light/colours and mood. That MOOD and ATMOSPHERE is whats making them so stomach churningly good !!!

Gaz

Very much my cup of tea. All lovely, but the stand out for me is no.1. Although quite flat, no.5 is drawing me too. Cracking work on the whole set though.

Very much my cup of tea. All lovely, but the stand out for me is no.1. Although quite flat, no.5 is drawing me too. Cracking work on the whole set though.

Hi, thanks.
I struggled with the 5th picture for quite some time. Just couldn't get the crop or tones the way I wanted. Conditions were exceptionally flat with fine drizzle in the air but was fortunate enough a little bit of soft light broke through to light up the mountain in the background.
Eventually settled on this version which is fast turning in to one of my favourite pictures this year.

do not delete by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi, thanks.
I struggled with the 5th picture for quite some time. Just couldn't get the crop or tones the way I wanted. Conditions were exceptionally flat with fine drizzle in the air but was fortunate enough a little bit of soft light broke through to light up the mountain in the background.
Eventually settled on this version which is fast turning in to one of my favourite pictures this year.

Definitely see why. (y)

The first 2 are utterly excellent. You have achieved a real 3d feel to 2d imagery, and captured the atmosphere of autumn and the conditions beautifully. Really like the processing on these 2 (and the final image). For me, some of the others like the third for example are a little bit too sepia toned, but great work.

Back