Autumnal Scotland

Edit My Images
No
In my humble opinion the very finest place in the UK for railway photography is the Scottish highlands in the Autumn, the combination of mist, sunlight and golden brown background of spectacular scenery is unbeatable. The only problem is getting all of these combinations to happen at the same time is a near impossibility!

I spent a week up there at the end of the Jacobite season with some friends and for once it all came together spectacularly well for most of the week. The following(last) week alas was a washout for most of the week, sometimes it is just the luck of the draw.

The train featured here is "The Jacobite" that runs between May-October between Fort William and Mallaig, the engine is Stanier Black 5 45407 and was driven all week by its owner Ian Riley whose help in making sure a good trail of steam was put on at agreed various points was massively appreciated.

If you get the chance to go up to this wonderful part of the UK just do it, it will always be worth the trip, but it can become addictive!

Steam, Mist and the Ben ... by Inspiring Images, on Flickr

The very best of Scotland - Loch Eilt by Inspiring Images, on Flickr

Corpach and the mirror like Loch Linnhie by Inspiring Images, on Flickr

Glenfinnan waterfall in the long shadow of the Ben by Inspiring Images, on Flickr

Browns in Autumnal Morar by Inspiring Images, on Flickr

Out of the mist into the light ... by Inspiring Images, on Flickr

"Concrete Bob's" finest monument at Glenfinnan by Inspiring Images, on Flickr

#1 for me… outstanding!

Me again…
As I revisited this thread, I noticed the thematic of "trains" recurrent in these shot…
detail I did not take onboard the first time I was impressed by the first take!
Now that that I see it, I'm even more.

No.2 for me too.
I love the red of the train and the white of the steam against all the green and blue.
Fantastic shot.

It certainly is a quality set- the work and commitment that has gone into it must have been all-consuming. The standout shot for me, though, is misty six. The low angle back/side lighting accentuates the natural drama of the setting to great effect IMO.

Thank you for all your kind comments. There is a reasonable amount of planning for these shots but you are at the whim of the weather, I was very lucky this year. I must get fitter though, some of these locations were quite tight timewise and I could barely hold the camera up after running up a hill to get to the right spot :)

All really cool, 2nd last for me too.

Thanks again, it turned out to be the best week of the Autumn, a lucky break for a change!

As said a stunning location and subject. My personal favourite is the last one with the wonderful curve of the viaduct.

Stunning photos! Truly inspiring:agree:!

Damn awesome set and most certainly can't pick a favourite, stunning location :)

These are all superb!
Look even better in full screen on your flickr stream.
More stunning photographs on there too!!!

lovely set ,
I loved this place when the wife and I was there in 2012, I took some pics of the jacobite, and to top it off we saw harry potter owl as well LOL.....it was a young kid dressed up as harry potter with mum and dad,
got to agree a cracking place, somewhere we will revisit.

Great set of an area with all of my favourite places, we stay in Blaich around Easter each year and love that whole stretch first golden eagle we ever seen was high about loch eilt we usually stop and picnic there as great northern divers in breeding plumage are there around April time

"Excellent" set of images Duncan, not really much more to be said.(y)

George.

Well this is the thread that just keeps giving! Many thanks for all the kind words, whenever I need a confidence boost after another lousy day out, I'll just pop back and look at this thread :) If anyone is inispred to go and have a fun day or two chasing the train next year, just drop me a line and I'm happy to help with the many locations on the line.

Back