Autumnwatch

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Autumnwatch is back again on BBC2 ... always love the 'Autumn/Spring/Winterwatch' programmes with the different birds and animals shown in the wild.

It's been on for 30 minuttes now and so far we've seen 3 Badgers and 3 Deer ... and a garden display ... and the International Space Station ... and an apple with a stick through it imitating the earth alongside the sun.

Has the programme lost it's animal way or am I just Mr Grumpy again?

Autumnwatch is back again on BBC2 ... always love the 'Autumn/Spring/Winterwatch' programmes with the different birds and animals shown in the wild.

It's been on for 30 minuttes now and so far we've seen 3 Badgers and 3 Deer ... and a garden display ... and the International Space Station ... and an apple with a stick through it imitating the earth alongside the sun.

Not at all Roger- I watched it too- very disappointing, wildlife wise - I see more on a morning out at Swell woods to be honest.

Les :)

Surely it has always been more than just an animal programme? The explanation of the seasons using the apple and the view from the ISS was entirely relevant to the name of the programme, while the changes in the environment at high and low level were also relevant. The explanation of apparent underground interchange between trees and fungi was surely interesting, as it would make a difference to foraging animals. The garden part was on how to attract wildlife into our gardens by suitable layouts and planting, since urban locations are becoming more important for wildlife.

Where I would agree with you is in the few minutes spent on Tellytubby type stuff, but they have to make it a bit more entertaining for some viewers and there is still the rest of the hour to get on with things.

Surely it has always been more than just an animal programme? The explanation of the seasons using the apple and the view from the ISS was entirely relevant to the name of the programme, while the changes in the environment at high and low level were also relevant. The explanation of apparent underground interchange between trees and fungi was surely interesting, as it would make a difference to foraging animals. The garden part was on how to attract wildlife into our gardens by suitable layouts and planting, since urban locations are becoming more important for wildlife.

Where I would agree with you is in the few minutes spent on Tellytubby type stuff, but they have to make it a bit more entertaining for some viewers and there is still the rest of the hour to get on with things.

I can agree to a point, my observation was made after the first episode, which was almost without wildlife.
My feeling is that the programme has traditionally been focused around wildlife and, for me, that very much took a back seat this time.

I was struck by the poignancy of the closing narrative by Tim Peake.

What it 'said' to me :-
When seen from space you realise how fragile a place our planet looks/is and we forget at our peril that we are only one species amongst many.,.......and why should we, by our action or indeed inaction, let other species suffer to the point of their extinction!

I never bothered to watch after the 1st episode ( apple on a stick WTF? ) :)

I never bothered to watch after the 1st episode ( apple on a stick WTF? ) :)
I felt it was a good explanation why we have seasons- moving the apple on a stick around a light source shown the rotation of the earth in its orbit around the sun affected where the light and heat feel hence our seasons.

I think they were trying to appeal beyond the normal autumn watch viewer. That’s a good thing. If we don’t get the majority more interested in nature then we are going to be in a sorry state. Let’s be honest the people interested in nature are in the minority. Isn’t there a saying the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome? I suspect the BBC have given autumn watch a new goal of appealing to a boarder audience hence the changes from the previous format. If changes get children more interested then it’s only a good thing in my eyes.

I know what you mean their focus was previously more on wildlife but Autumn is much more than just wildlife. There is so much change in trees at this time of year that it should be covered. I watched most of the first episode but not the rest of the series yet. I’m hoping to catch up on iPlayer soon when things get a little less hectic.

Last edited:
Back