AVG Free anti virus

RobertP

TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been using this without problem for a couple of years now.

Just lately it seems to have taken to deleting or flagging trojans in files that have been on my system for, in some cases, years. I really don't believe I have any problems. To confirm it I have run the Kaspersky free download scanner and that came up clean. Spybot, hijack this, etc all clean too.

The most recent files it does not like are the Canon DPP update files that were downloaded direct from Canon about a year ago!

Just wondering if anyone else that uses AVG is seeing anything similar?

I'm about to replace my main HDD and do a new install so it would be a good time to change. Barclays offers fprot (i think) free to users so I might give that a go. No way I'll go near Norton products again - the AV might work well but is such a slow down.

So thoughts?

Ive used AVG free for years too, Robert, and lately getting lots of viruses which heal, then re-appear.

I have paid £14 for a year of Prevx1 and it works a treat.... I have it working alongside AVG and there are no viruses or malware now.

Used AVG for a long time but without fail after some time in use it would start to screw up, so I swapped away and I've been using bitdefender for nearly two years now without incident, it's anti virus and firewall in one. not free but worth every penny imo.

I've had no problems with AVG, currently using 7.1 but i'm being prompted to change to 7.5free in January.

I've also been using it for years without problem.

Well I say without problem as it VERY rarely find anything on my pc, maybe I'm very careful about which sites I go to and what I download or maybe it just does not work :LOL:

I have upgraded to 7.5 a month or so back without problem.

:agree: , been using AVG since I spent a day deleting McAfee from my machine.

Now that is a pile of steaming :bang:

Mine is 7.5 too. I have the schedule set to do a full scan every day at 8pm - which it does without noticeably slowing the system down. Maybe I'm giving it too many opportunities to dream up some new 'infection' :)

macafee is pants, slows the system even more than nortons!!!

You can get viruses in Java's cache which AVG cannot heal (even though it says it does, they come back). You need to disable cacheing in Java itself to prevent this from happening. Turning off the cache will clear the cache and all viruses out anyway. You will also find that AVG cannot heal infected files it finds in your System Restore cache. The only way to get shut of those it to turn off System Restore, then turn it back on again. You'll lose all your restore points in doing so, though.

If you still find AVG is discovering 'unhealable' files, boot in safe mode and rescan from there.

You can get AVG 7.5 now from http://free.grisoft.com - you don't have to wait til January!

Yes...I have had AVG 7.5 for a while now.

One thing I do with AVG (or any antivirus actually) is sometimes a virus keeps repeatedly showing up, its because it is in your system restore files.
If you turn off system restore..... do a scan...then turn system restore back on....the virused files will go for good.
Nothing to do with your first post, Robert, but useful for some people no doubt! :)

Have used AVG for years but changed to Avast which does a great job too..

Best bit is its free too..:)

I have used AVG free for a number of years and never had any trouble. I thought I'd read somewhere that AVG were going to cease with the free edition though.

I use PC Cillin - which is VERY good and catches everything and updates about 4 times a day and is a whole Internet Security package. The price, however, seems to keep increasing! its now £50 for a one year license :(
LINKY
I am sure it only use to be about £30, don't know whats going on there! it is good though!

If you turn off system restore..... do a scan...then turn system restore back on....the virused files will go for good.
You don't actually need to do the scan. Turning system restore off and back on is enough. All the files (viruses included) get deleted when you turn it off.

I used AVG for years too, combined with ZoneAlam ...very few problems, the Java Cache does need cleaning out regularly though.

I've also hear, learnt and found (I think, never quite sure) that mixing antivirus type packages together on the same machine can cause problems... I've recently also installed Ad-aware to remove a deep virus/Trojan and I think these two now occasionally spot each other as a problem, and certain shared files get deleted when they shouldn’t etc.
I tend to only use the ad-aware to clean when AVG can't, so most of the time it’s off.. It doesn't seem to cause a problem that way.

I'm not totally sure about the mixing bit; I've heard this said a few times now... it could be your problem?

You don't actually need to do the scan. Turning system restore off and back on is enough. All the files (viruses included) get deleted when you turn it off.

Sorry GFK......I didnt realize you had already posted that info in a previous post! Teach me not to look back!!:)

Back