AVIVA London Grand Prix Athletics

Edit My Images
No
Despite the pouring rain I still managed to go along the AVIVA London Grand Prix Athletics at Crystal Palace on Fri evening.

Not really done much Athletcis before especially in low light and rain but was fairly pleased with my results.

Would love to hear feedback from people. Only limited to two different positions of inside track or on outside often shooting round a bend due to everyone being there and hence why horizons may not look straight due to shooting at angles.

Any feedback welcome.

1. Mo Farah (Great Britain) 3000m

GRD_6004.jpg

2. Mo Farah (Great Britain) 3000m

GRD_6081.jpg

3. Oscar Pistorius (South Africa) 400m

GRD_6104.jpg

4. Conrad Williams (Great Britain) Winning the 400m

GRD_6111.jpg

5. Priscilla Lopes-Schiliep (Canada) & Lolo Jones (USA) 100m Hurdles

GRD_6153.jpg

6. Danielle Carruthers (USA) & Queen Harrison (USA) 100m Hurdles

GRD_6135.jpg

7. Wheelchair Racing (Not Sure of Race & Racers)

GRD_6173.jpg

8. Wheelchair Racing (Not Sure of Race & Racers)

GRD_6176.jpg

9. Nicole Forrester (Canada) High Jump

GRD_6204.jpg

10. Phillips Idowu (Great Britain) Triple Jump

GRD_6526.jpg

11. Star of the Night, Tyson Gay (USA) 100m Winner

GRD_6693.jpg

I have some comments, bearing in mind that I am an aspiring sports photographer and by no means a pro I would say that I like them all, you have seperated the subjects off the background very well indeed. Number 5 and 6 seem to be on a bit of a slant, not sure if this is the done thing (for effect) or they need straightening? My favourite is number 4 with Conrad Williams beginning to do a little celebration, guessing he has one the race here?

Can I ask what lens was used here?

Great photo's like them a lot, nice and crisp, bright and clear.

The guy in the wheelchair with the union jack is David Weir, winner of numerous London Marathons.

I'm not a sports tog, but I like my sport and I have to say that all of these are winners for me, bar the ones with the wonky hurdles, which you've already addressed in your opening post.

Great stuff.

Can I ask what lens was used here?

Thanks for the feedback. All shot with a 300 f2.8 lens but most of the shots were at f4 or higher as wanted to get other competitors sharp to and not blur them out at 2.8.

Angle of some of the images as I was just beyond the finishing line round a corner as all the photographers were congregated there which meant you had to work your way round the corner and shoot at a angle.

3,4,5,7 and 8 stand out for me Gareth, i know you mentioned about the problems with shooting positions but 5 (which is the best of the set for me) and 6 can easily be straightened in PS and will improve them massively IMHO.

Hi. Very nice. I'd straighten up the horizons (hurdles and high jump) just 'cos they make me tilt my head to see them.

Back