Avon Old Boys v Coney Hill

A strong, active set.
I prefer No1, with the less intrusive backgrounds, and you can almost hear the 'thwump'

Hi Ive had a go at shooting Rugby this weekend and now know how hard it can be to get good images so well done great first photo. Can I ask your settings

Last edited:
Setting for you
1/1000
F2.8
Auto ISO
And site on a stool :)

Len's
120-300 f2.8 & 70-200 F2.8

Last edited:
Setting for you
1/1000
F2.8
Auto ISO
And site on a stool :)

Len's
120-300 f2.8 & 70-200 F2.8

these are far too over exposed... Setting manual exposure and shutter but auto iso on a bright day meant the iso went down to 100 and couldnt go any lower so your pictures where over exposing as it couldnt change anything... I wouldnt use 2.8 especialy when your backgrounds too far away to make much difference at f4 ... but if you must then up your shutter so your iso doesnt hit a wall :)

these are far too over exposed... Setting manual exposure and shutter but auto iso on a bright day meant the iso went down to 100 and couldnt go any lower so your pictures where over exposing as it couldnt change anything... I wouldnt use 2.8 especialy when your backgrounds too far away to make much difference at f4 ... but if you must then up your shutter so your iso doesnt hit a wall :)

I understand what your saying but my eye is always on the exposure meter :) so no hitting the wall :) and the images above in LR are not overexposed, in fact LR is trying to increase exposure by .15+, there are also a very small amount of highlight clippings ( Ref Shirt) or shadow clippings showing no 13 black shorts under the belly of the defending prop.

Where you been ???

Last edited:
I understand what your saying but my eye is always on the exposure meter :) so no hitting the wall

Exposure meter is a guide and the reason we use manual to overide is because the camera can get it wrong... You where using semi auto mode with auto iso and letting the camera choose the exposure... does your camera go below iso 100 or did it get stuck down there ?:)

I'm using a D500, in Manual mode ( 1/1000 (or up it) & what ever I select :) ) with Auto ISO

1 Pict F2.8 1/1000 Auto ISO 100
2 Pict F2.8 1/1000 Auto ISO 100
3 Pict F5 1/1000 Auto ISO 110

Last week ISO was up in the 14400 range bloody winter ( Heavy mist/ rain getting dark and steam coming off the lads :) )

Where you been last time on was back in Aug

Last edited:
I'm using a D500, in Manual mode ( 1/1000 (or up it) & what ever I select :) ) with Auto ISO

that is semi auto mode not manual.. Any mode where the camera sets the expsure isn't manual.. auto iso is setting the exposure and if auto iso hits the upper or lower ends it has nowhere to go so your pictures will have the wrong exposure...

Where you been last time on was back in Aug

Averaging over one job a day.. massive busy :)

The images above are most certainly overexposed, the first two especially. That's the trouble with Auto ISO, it isn't good enough to rely on. Next time just go full manual, it's easy enough with consistent light.

Back