Awesome Beardy me (Again)

Name
Marcus
Edit My Images
Yes
I love my new-ish beard and wanted a low key self portrait showing a more contemplative side to me (asleep with my eyes open more to the truth) so decided to take a self portrait and make this. Lighting comprises of two Lencarta elitepro600, girdded softbox front (of me) as key with a gridded softbox behind me to give just a soft rim glow. Canon 5DMkIII with 85mm 1.2L.

Processed in photoshop and lightroom, with a stock images blended for the backdrop.

C&C Welcome please.

Awesome Beardy Me Again by Marcus Charter, on Flickr

There's that Tony Stark dude again ;)

Great work!

Looks cool. Like this better than the other images youve been posting. Obviously they are soooooooo good but just prefer this :)

Gaz

There's that Tony Stark dude again ;)

Great work!

If only! Thanks

The lighting is beautiful, but the position/posture of your hands doesn't quite work for me... then again, what do I know?.

Thank you. All C&C is valid, I'm not sure what you mean with my hands, should they be up a bit, down a bit? Clasped, unclasped? Maybe holding a hamster? :)

I'm no expert but my eye is drawn to your......ear!

Yes.... now you mention it...

Looks cool. Like this better than the other images youve been posting. Obviously they are soooooooo good but just prefer this :)

Gaz

Thanks Gaz. I'm working my way through a set of ideas in my head, trying to nail a certain look and this is a step closer.

Sorry, I meant that your hands look tense/strained... maybe gently interlocking your fingers would have been better. Now, that ear... :)

Ah yes I get you now! And my ear.... It aint that big in real life, honest (in my mind...).

I like the shot and the lighting on you works. When I look at the image as a whole though, with the chandelier, the light on you doesn't look as if it's from the chandelier - which looks to be in the background due to it's size. Is that what you were aiming for? You would have less light on the right of your face (left side as you look at the shot) and there would be a shadow from your nose. Perhaps if the position of the chandelier was moved so that it looked more towards the front and less in the background the light on you would look correct?

Last edited:
I like the shot and the lighting on you works. When I look at the image as a whole though, with the chandelier, the light on you doesn't look as if it's from the chandelier - which looks to be in the background due to it's size. Is that what you were aiming for? You would have less light on the right of your face (left side as you look at the shot) and there would be a shadow from your nose. Perhaps if the position of the chandelier was moved so that it looked more towards the front and less in the background the light on you would look correct?

I tried this image in a few ways, larger chandelier which seemed to dominate the shot, then moved it around, even removed it to see if that would work and with a little bit of fiddling it landed here at this size which as you say is still not the best position. Might re-edit with it removed. Thanks for looking at the image for this kind of detail, great C&C. Thank you!

As I never see you in a suit did you set up kit after a funeral?

Still look like Bran Blessed

I love the way its put together.... Something not gelling with me... Maybe it's you? If was a sultry raven haired maiden scantily clad with her Rack on display might work.
That's NOT an invitation for you to take your shirt off!!!

Actually I had in mind a Class Weddings Photography 'WE ARE SPARTA' shot. I should be able to edit a six pack on to our one packs.

Still trying to get used to the beard.... would suit wind cheater on top of mountain with frost bitten fingers.....

Back to the image. It looks simple enough and hard to comment on lighting as I know you will have 40 odd layers and dodge and burn a lot... Be interested in the before and after.....

I have a Spartan Helmet in the props cupboard... read that how you will

Pensive expression, great shadows, like the (apparent) simplicity of it. Really enjoying the images you are putting up. Now about that ear ... (just kidding, not that big a deal for me).

What a superb self portrait. If you set that up on your own you've done exceptionally well. How many attempts did take to get a decent exposure and in focus?

I really like both shots, with the shot without the chandelier probably just eging it. I like the empty space and that floor really adds perspective to the image. Did you create that floor in PS? I think i saw Glyn Dewis or Calvin Hollywood create a similar effect from scratch a few years back and remember thinking at the time how cool it was and that i must use it one day which i never did and completely forgot about until now.

I also love the way you have lit this, i gotta get myself some grids. Did you feather the grid facing you? because its like it has just 'kissed' the front of you.

Great work Marcus.

I prefer the one without the chandelier, I don't think the image loses anything by it not being there and it makes you think: "Where is the light coming from, what are you looking at that is out of shot?". Well, I thought that anyway!

You're gonna hate me, but....assuming you are sitting on a chair the floor looks a bit high/not far enough away (to me it looks like you are sat on the floor, though by looking at the bit of your left knee that is visible this is not the case). Didn't see the floor yesterday when I was looking at the image on my phone.

Like I said before, still a great image.

Without chandelier but with a different crop for me.

Cool shot mind :clap:

Thanks everyone for the comments!

What a superb self portrait. If you set that up on your own you've done exceptionally well. How many attempts did take to get a decent exposure and in focus?

I set the focus up manually and then leave, as long as I've done this bit correctly and sit myself correctly it is all ok. As for exposure, looking at the histogram is a good way, however for this shoot I shot tethered with the laptop next to me, so could see how I as doing as I was going along.

I really like both shots, with the shot without the chandelier probably just eging it. I like the empty space and that floor really adds perspective to the image. Did you create that floor in PS? I think i saw Glyn Dewis or Calvin Hollywood create a similar effect from scratch a few years back and remember thinking at the time how cool it was and that i must use it one day which i never did and completely forgot about until now.

I have created checked floor in PS but this one is a paid for stock image, I loved the texture of the floor.

I also love the way you have lit this, i gotta get myself some grids. Did you feather the grid facing you? because its like it has just 'kissed' the front of you.

The gird was square on, however the 'kiss' effect was produced using curves with masks combined with some dodge and burn.

Great work Marcus.

Thanks Dan![/QUOTE]

Back