Ayrton Senna - 19 Years Ago Today

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Was it really that long ago that the sporting world was shocked by the death of Senna? I remember it well. A shocking a tragic event.

Was it really that long ago that the sporting world was shocked by the death of Senna? I remember it well. A shocking a tragic event.

I remember it like it was yesterday, can't believe it was that long ago. Truly a sad loss to motor racing

I remember exactly what I was doing when I heard. Seems just like yesterday.

remarkable to think it was nearly two thirds of my life ago :puke:

certainly a true loss (y)

The only motorsport things that shocked me as much were watching live the fatalities of Jeff Krosnoff and Greg Moore in CART and Dan Wheldon in IndyCar.

I remember it also . A very tragic time , with some of the most fatal crashes ever seen in a race weekend . It just seemed like it was cursed from the start .

Still fresh here.

My youngest son was 3 when it happened and got bored when I used to speak of him.

Then I gave him the Senna DVD...

Raised a glass of wine to Ayrton at supper.

Steve

Last edited:
It's also 25 years ago today that he scored his first win for McLaren.

AND 20 years today that he won possibly his greatest race at Donnington Park.
I can still remember needing a whiskey in my coffee at 6.30am. God it was cold and wet.

And also to Roland Ratzenburger often forgotten.

Indeed, and him having the Austrian flag in the Williams Cockpit to wave "When" he won the race.

A bad weekend for Motor racing that's for sure. Very nearly Barrichello's demise too with a crash in Friday that he was lucky to survive.

:shake:

Hopefully a weekend the likes of which we will never see again

I assume you mean in F1. For those that follow other types of motor sport there have been a lot of tragic weekends since then.

Yes in F1. I appreciate the many tragic deaths since, in other sports, which is why other sports need to implement many of the safety features that have become common place in F1. The design and use of circuits also need to be considered.

I always thought the death of Henry Surtees at just 18 was a particularly cruel one - so much to potentially achieve and experience .

Today is the anniversary of Ratzenburger's death. Tomorrow will be the 20th anniversary of Senna's passing.

one of those things that you remember exactly where you were

My mother died on the same day.
I know which I will be remembering.

Back