B&W conversion - help needed

Name
Irina
Edit My Images
Yes
i am new to all post processing and currently using mobile version of LR and PH

Whenevr i try to convert image to b&w i dont get the result that i am happy with, but that might be because i am not using the right tools.

For example i've used "silvered" filter in PH for image nr 1 and b&w contrast 75 for image nr 2
In first example the face appears bit too bright and 2nd just does not look right
(Original also attached)

Any tips?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edit:

Ive used warmth opposed exposure (did not know that i could do that!) and pulled down bit more blacks and shadows and now happy with the result
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Basics — a good conversion…
  • always starts with the right colours
  • always starts with the properly set DRL
Once these correctly established, NEVER DESATURATE
but convert to B&W as you will be presented a 6 colour tool
box where the magic of cooking all happens!

A suggestion from your colour JPG…
not knowing the look you're after,
you could do better with the RAW!

irenpppp.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Kodiak!
What do you mean by right colours?

I am more after brighter, learer look, like my example nr 1, but with more defined facial features

Basics — a good conversion…
  • always starts with the right colours
  • always starts with the properly set DRL
Once these correctly established, NEVER DESATURATE
but convert to B&W as you will be presented a 6 colour tool
box where the magic of cooking all happens!

A suggestion from your colour JPG…
not knowing the look you're after,
you could do better with the RAW!

irenpp.jpg

What do you mean by right colours?
Not meaning at all that your colours are wrong but
that improper WB will cast inappropriate shades of
grey on your image.
I am more after brighter, learer look, like my example nr 1, but with more defined facial features
Cool! I have edited my post reflecting more brightness
since I didn't know. :)

Last edited:
Nice edit Daniel.

Hi Irina

I'm never happy when converting to mono either so it was good to see your examples.

Gaz

Last edited:
Nice edit Daniel.

Hi Irina

I'm never happy when converting to mono either so it was good to see your examples.

Gaz

:) i think if you see photo in colour first, its hard to imagine how it will be in b&w
b&w gives different feel to it, at least for me i have to look at that photo for a few days and accept that as original

i think if you see photo in colour first, its hard to imagine how it will be in b&w

That, Irina, comes with time.

It gets easier to determine rather quickly when a picture
would communicate better in monochrome.

Practice intent is to develop muscle memory and
endurance like for musical instruments and sport.
As repetition, oth, tends to ease the learning of
data, formulas, series, sequences etc.

Recognizing the potential conversion interest come
with repetition where tones are seen for their lumi-
nance alone ignoring their chrominance: dark red,
blue and green are very different tones in colours
but, once converted, they become similar shades
of very dark grey… almost black.

Sports trainers talk of practical exercise as in theatre,
or music, they say repetition for a play or concert.

:) i think if you see photo in colour first, its hard to imagine how it will be in b&w
b&w gives different feel to it, at least for me i have to look at that photo for a few days and accept that as original

Unless you're shooting B&W film you're capturing in colour any way, so just use the B&W adjustment layer method I linked to and you can alter any tonal relationship you like when you convert to B&W. You don't need to "see" it when you're capturing the image.

Unless you're shooting B&W film you're capturing in colour any way, so just use the B&W adjustment layer method I linked to and you can alter any tonal relationship you like when you convert to B&W. You don't need to "see" it when you're capturing the image.

I probably did not word it properly, but when i do convertion to b&w i dont like it 99% of the time, but if i see the photo first in b&w and then colour, i like it more in b&w. But that might be because i did not know how to make the conversion correctly.
Once i have laptop later in September, i will try out proper conversion with the adjustments.

Edit: there is option for b&w colour tones adjustment in LR mobile version, so will play with it now

Last edited:
^^^ It's not a rule and it never was - it was never Gladwells either, it was from a study by Anders Ericsson on Violinists at the Juliard School. Gladwell appropriated it for his book outliers and it became this "rule" - even Ericsson disputes they way Gladwell used it!

Back