B52's

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
On Friday, late afternoon, I became aware of of heavy aircraft passing over my home a couple of times. I checked Planefinder to see they were. B52's out of RAF Fairford where they've been stationed lately on exercises.It was too cloudy to see them but I suspected what they were.

I think, they were were about to fly back to the States, so had a full fuel load. One of them had technical problems .It landed safely at RAF Fairford where the fire detail was in attendance. I learnt that from the forum Fightercontrol and that what they were doing was burning up fuel to enable a safe landing.

This article states that there were three B52s involved but there were only two. The were doing circuits from Tewkesbury to Gloucester. RAF Fairford is 15 miles from Gloucester.

It mentions the massive armanents load they carry. Wouldn't want this crashing near me https://www.businessinsider.com/heres-how-many-bombs-a-b-52-can-haul-2015-6?r=US&IR=Tm

Here is a Youtube clip in which the crew can be heard on an open channel. The voices start at 21 seconds so silent for the first 21 seconds. I've checked to see what the full fuel capacity is. 19,875 US gallons . Imperial (ours,of course ... litres notwithstanding) is equivalent to 1.2 US gallons.

The calm tone is very re-assuring. Professionals,for sure.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO5dzrzCT_I&feature=youtu.be

I'd just like to mention one aspect re my photos. I had a lot of noise in them and I wasn't going to post them because of it..hence the delay in posting but I found a few that were ok..sort of.. My camera is a 7D11 and I used the Sigma 150-600mm on a Jobu Gimbal arm. The settings were f7. Some were at Ev + 1/3 and some Ev-0. 1/1600 sec. ISO 500. Not really much of a crop either.

I also thought some would be interested in the plane to ground conversations. Planefinder showed that one was at 9,000 ft and the other at 10,000ft. When I first started watching them, which went on for over an hour as they kept their circuits going, it was a matter of hoping to catch them between clouds..very little blue sky. Each time they were almost overhead before I was able to see them. Towards 5.30pm the skies began to clear and it became easier. Many of my photos looked exactly like the one in the newspaper article above, Euro Weekly...ie... a lot of noise. I don't know why as I've taken many photos of aircraft against blue skie and no noise,including these B52s and the Lockheed U2's (so-called spy planes). ..at RAF Fairford. Any suggestions welcome.

15 (15 of 1).jpg

16 (16 of 1).jpg

17 (17 of 1).jpg

18 (18 of 1).jpg

Maybe best, re any comments re the noise I had in so many, to post one. It looks worse at 50% increase.

19 (19 of 1).jpg

Interesting pictures but which B52's what? :naughty:

The general emergency squawk is 7700 (as opposed to 7600 radio failure and 7500 hijack) - shows my training 30 years ago made things stick! Nice pictures gf the Buff - one of my instructors in Texas was an ex-Vietnam era Buff commander based out of Guam.

I was at the fence of Fairford in 1991 when they were leaving for Iraq. I was 6 or 7.

They were fully loaded with fuel and bombs and were taking off quickly.. 3 or 4 went up and then one had an issue, there was a loud bang, and it’s wing dipped, the end striking the runway.

Ive never heard my mother scream before and never again since! There was a huge gasp from the crowd, but luckily the buff managed to lift off safely.

We later found out it had an engine failure on takeoff, and circled the north sea dumping fuel before going somewhere in Italy I think it was. Not sure why it didn’t return to Fairford, I’d have thought that was more sensible considering it’s payload, but I guess they know best!

I was at the fence of Fairford in 1991 when they were leaving for Iraq. I was 6 or 7.

They were fully loaded with fuel and bombs and were taking off quickly.. 3 or 4 went up and then one had an issue, there was a loud bang, and it’s wing dipped, the end striking the runway.

Ive never heard my mother scream before and never again since! There was a huge gasp from the crowd, but luckily the buff managed to lift off safely.

We later found out it had an engine failure on takeoff, and circled the north sea dumping fuel before going somewhere in Italy I think it was. Not sure why it didn’t return to Fairford, I’d have thought that was more sensible considering it’s payload, but I guess they know best!

Quite an experience for you,then.

I went there too and got several shots as they returned from missions. I was in the fields at Marston Maisey. It's a good spot to go for both the landings and take-off..wind direction depending of course.

The general emergency squawk is 7700 (as opposed to 7600 radio failure and 7500 hijack) - shows my training 30 years ago made things stick! Nice pictures gf the Buff - one of my instructors in Texas was an ex-Vietnam era Buff commander based out of Guam.

Sounds very interesting.I expect you heard a few Vietnam experiences from your instructor, too. I find the size of these planes quite awe-inspiring.

I've also got photos of the U-2 taken at RAF Fairford last year returnoing from missions over the Middle East. Maybe you know but a lot of refurbishment is going on at Fairford because the Americans are returning and will have the RC-135 Rivet Joint aircraft. I have photos of those coming into land at RAF Brize Norton. I'm hoping they will have the CV-22 Osprey too.

An RAF Globemaster (C-17) flew over our house about 4.30pm today. Planefinder showed it had come from RAF Brize Norton,where they're based and it headed out over North Wales.

Back