Baby Cake Smash

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I took this recently for my little man's 1st birthday, just looking for critique on the lighting and exposure etc please as posing goes out the window a bit here.
It was a 3 light set up with 2 on the BG and then a key light

Cheers

PMCD3349%20copy.jpg

Last edited:
Just noticed the upload hadn't worked as an image in the thread, it was a separate attachment....Sorted!

Hi mate. I don't really like the crop on his leg and his fingers I am afraid . Was this cropped on camera or in post?

I am not a big fan of bright white background stuff but it's a nice clean background and the lighting work well.

Unfortunately the crop came as a result of being left to use a 70-200 lens when my 24-105 died 5 mins before the shoot, so it was tight at times, hence why I said I wasn't too worried about poses and composition as I knew I was going to have to problems. Thankfully the lens was repaired within 3 days and I'm looking for a 24-70 as a back up I think.

I know what you mean about the background but the clients seem to choose this over colours a lot of the time, so gotta give them what they want really.

Thanks for the comments anyway

Unfortunately the crop came as a result of being left to use a 70-200 lens when my 24-105 died 5 mins before the shoot, so it was tight at times, hence why I said I wasn't too worried about poses and composition as I knew I was going to have to problems. Thankfully the lens was repaired within 3 days and I'm looking for a 24-70 as a back up I think.

I know what you mean about the background but the clients seem to choose this over colours a lot of the time, so gotta give them what they want really.

Thanks for the comments anyway
Do you think? I don't offer clients any pure white background. Maybe once a year someone will ask for it and I normally either put them off, send them to venture or in the very odd occasion then do it. I do understand why a lot of people do it however so I am not having a dig about it, that's just my personal choice especially with cake smash.

Out of interest what would you do orb a lens died during a clients shoot? That's why backups are so important even if it's something like a nifty fifty to grab hold off.

Unlucky with the crop. Chopping off the pinkie is a real shame.
I agree with Andy on the ULTRA white background too. Looks slightly unnatural as the floor is a mid-grey colour.

Do you think? I don't offer clients any pure white background. Maybe once a year someone will ask for it and I normally either put them off, send them to venture or in the very odd occasion then do it. I do understand why a lot of people do it however so I am not having a dig about it, that's just my personal choice especially with cake smash.

Out of interest what would you do orb a lens died during a clients shoot? That's why backups are so important even if it's something like a nifty fifty to grab hold off.

Yeah I have done a few recently where the client has specified white over colours, I want to do more with colours, but if thats what they ask for then I am not going to turn their business away, or send them to someone else really. I might not want to do what they want, but as long as they love it then I am not going to complain, and the chances are they will become repeat customers, and unless you have a massive order book bursting at the seams then you don't have the privilege of being too fussy I suppose.

With regards to the spare lens, I do have a few lenses, its just this one time I was caught out. Normally I shoot at a studio where the 70-200 is fine, as the space is long, but unfortunately this shoot was on location, so it was tight, and the 24-105 died unexpectedly due to the ribbon cable issue, however I am going to pick up another wide lens just in case, think I might sacrifice the 70-300L to pay for it!

I did manage to get a few others which didn't suffer any crop issues, once again on the white, so on the technical side of it, any comments?

11036498_10153171391032365_9087906767694944025_n.jpg

Little man is having a great time in that one with a lovely expression.

His face on the let side looks blown out. I am guessing this is spill of from the background. Do you flag the background lights?

Little man is having a great time in that one with a lovely expression.

His face on the let side looks blown out. I am guessing this is spill of from the background. Do you flag the background lights?

I normally keep the lights well clear of the subject, but this one was tight so I didn't have much room, and yeah I can see what you mean about the left hand side.

Flag as in use modifiers? I used reflective umbrellas on these and tried to feather the light across he background, whereas normally I just use reflectors and keep it clear of the subject

Flags block light from spilling onto things that you don't want the light to hit. So you could use a bit of black card, or the blackside of a reflector. Or for bigger spaces V-Flats.

Back