Back from my sabbatical with a few from Glencoe

Name
Rich
So i have done very little photography since Iceland last year for a few reasons, time being the biggest factor!!.

With work driving me mad at the moment, a 3 day break with the wife to Scotland was in order. So we based ourselves in Fort William and every day at 5am, the alarm went off and up i got for the sunrise session. I then spent the day with the wife before searching out a location for sunset.

Well the weather was absolutely superb. Crisp, cold (-7) mornings with pure blue skies and intense sunrises.

I have now come back home and am already planning another trip up in the next month or so to get as much in a possible in as many locations as possible even if it means sleeping in the car lol.

Before the dawn!!!! by Richard Smith, on Flickr

Perfect Symmetry by Richard Smith, on Flickr

Cascading dawn by Richard Smith, on Flickr

Moonset by Richard Smith, on Flickr

Twilight Peak!! by Richard Smith, on Flickr

Sun Kissed peaks by Richard Smith, on Flickr

The veil of sunrise by Richard Smith, on Flickr

Very interesting takes there Rich.

I prefer the renditions of 1, 4, and 5.

Hi Richie how you doing nice to see you around, and back with a vengeance I see, what a fantastic set mate!
I just can't take my eyes off of No4 I love it and No5 there stunning.
You did I damn good job there it's hard to pick a favourite, I'm going to stick with 4, thanks for posting missed seeing your work here.

Thanks guys :D

It's good to be back and in all honesty, I could have been in those locations without a camera and I wouldn't have cared. Just so beautiful, peaceful and calming and it reminded me why I do this!!! :)

Very nice set of images Rich

Wow these are absolutely tremendous. 2 and 6 my favourites, 2 in particular, I'm a sucker for a good reflection and the depth that this coveys is fantastic. Top work [emoji106]

Cracking set of landscape images !

No.1 and 5 for me Richie, some nice pastel colours in 1. Glad you back up and running and the lens is fixed (again :whistle:) I'll give you shout as need to get back up there next month if your about.

Thank you all again for the kind comments :D

No.1 and 5 for me Richie, some nice pastel colours in 1. Glad you back up and running and the lens is fixed (again :whistle:) I'll give you shout as need to get back up there next month if your about.

Im looking at going again next month mate. Was just gonna rough it in my car or on the cheap. Planned to do Glencoe > Skye and a few places in between if possible (y). Give me an idea on dates and we will get something organised

Hi Richie how you doing nice to see you around, and back with a vengeance I see, what a fantastic set mate!
I just can't take my eyes off of No4 I love it and No5 there stunning.
You did I damn good job there it's hard to pick a favourite, I'm going to stick with 4, thanks for posting missed seeing your work here.

Hello mate. Missed your comment in the rush that was trying to sort out clothes, food, suitcase etc etc from our return last night lol.

I'm very well. Hope you are good?. Its great to be back I tell ya. Not sure why I left it so long but I am now definitely looking forward to a spring and summer in the hills of wales and on the isle of wight (y)

I have to say I enjoy it. I was out all Yesterday and the dawn was epic :D
It certainly was :). The first shot was from yesterday morning about 6.30am. Was hoping the sun would hit the peaks as it rose up but that bloomin Bauchaille Etive Mor stole the lime light (quite literally) and it wasn't to be. Tried Glencoe Lochan first but that was frozen solid lol

Looking forward to seeing you efforts from yesterday :D

It certainly was :). The first shot was from yesterday morning about 6.30am. Was hoping the sun would hit the peaks as it rose up but that bloomin Bauchaille Etive Mor stole the lime light (quite literally) and it wasn't to be. Tried Glencoe Lochan first but that was frozen solid lol

Looking forward to seeing you efforts from yesterday :D

It was too clear a sky anyway. I've binned my sunrise ones but just kept the dawn ones. I wish you told me you were coming, the 1st shot is superb but I'd have retreated back to the River Etive to shoot the 1st light hitting the Buachaille...they are all nice takes and for your first visit here very strong. Haste ye back.

It was too clear a sky anyway. I've binned my sunrise ones but just kept the dawn ones. I wish you told me you were coming, the 1st shot is superb but I'd have retreated back to the River Etive to shoot the 1st light hitting the Buachaille...they are all nice takes and for your first visit here very strong. Haste ye back.

Cheers (y) appreciate the comments :)

Yep, the skies were very clear and the sunrise very intense. I only had an hour to play with prior to having to evacuate the accommodation otherwise I would have been here, there and everywhere!!.

I drove all the way down the road to loch Etive. That has so much photographic potential all the way down to the very end!!!. So incredibly beautiful with its waterfalls and small lakes.

Will give you a shout next time I am up there(y) I can tell you it wont be long :D

Reactions: ST4
"Excellent" set of images Rich, liking these very much.(y)

George.

Stunning shots every one of them. For me number one is my favourite.

Hello mate. Missed your comment in the rush that was trying to sort out clothes, food, suitcase etc etc from our return last night lol.

I'm very well. Hope you are good?. Its great to be back I tell ya. Not sure why I left it so long but I am now definitely looking forward to a spring and summer in the hills of wales and on the isle of wight (y)
Blimey didn't know you were only back the other night, no wonder you were rushing around!
Glad to here all is well with you. Yeah I'm good apart from the Wife has incarcerated me in the back bedroom and ordered me to decorate or I'll never see my D810 again, there must be something in law about holding Togs hostage against there own will:mad:
TBH there's a fair few on here that I look forward to looking at there work, not being funny but I have always admired your work but particularly your night work. You certainly have a nack for it. I shot a whole heap of shots of Aurora in North Norway and struggled like hell with processing them still not happy but I learnt a lot about shooting Aurora and would do it so differently next time. To me it seems processing night shots is very different from normal landscape.

I saw some of your Iceland shots, I guess you might have more, look forward to seeing them too, next year planning for either an early Iceland or another Norway trip.
All the best
S

Blimey didn't know you were only back the other night, no wonder you were rushing around!
Glad to here all is well with you. Yeah I'm good apart from the Wife has incarcerated me in the back bedroom and ordered me to decorate or I'll never see my D810 again, there must be something in law about holding Togs hostage against there own will:mad:
TBH there's a fair few on here that I look forward to looking at there work, not being funny but I have always admired your work but particularly your night work. You certainly have a nack for it. I shot a whole heap of shots of Aurora in North Norway and struggled like hell with processing them still not happy but I learnt a lot about shooting Aurora and would do it so differently next time. To me it seems processing night shots is very different from normal landscape.

I saw some of your Iceland shots, I guess you might have more, look forward to seeing them too, next year planning for either an early Iceland or another Norway trip.
All the best
S
Haha. That sounds pretty serious fella. Surely getting divorced could be less painful lol :D
I love taking the night shots and I do agree, they are a bit trickier to edit. Unlike day shots. Night shots need adjustment on most levels to get the balance right. And what your trying to achieve is not as you see it which is against what you tend to try and achieve with day shots!!!.
I've posted a few Iceland shots on here but if you click my Flickr link at the bottom then all my edited shots are on there.

I am 100% going back to Iceland next year. Would have loved to have gone this year but things have conspired against me lol.
Going on a cruise around Norway so that'll have to do this year :)

Lovely set but number 1 is the stand alone image for me, I love the subtle and peaceful tones of that.

May bump into you up there one day.

Stunning scenery. I'm drawn to #2 and #6 as I like being made to feel small by the landscape.

Excellent set, with some gorgeous light.
First is a stand out image for me, and that reflected moon in the ice makes it just about perfect.

Really enjoyed these good to see you are out there enjoying it again. Like you sometimes it's reward enough just to be out there. Favourite for me must be #1 out of a lovely set.
Cheers buddy. I do find myself just losing myself in the moment and looking around to appreciate the whole landscape as the sun rises or sets. To me you just can't beat those times of the day.

Excellent set, with some gorgeous light.
First is a stand out image for me, and that reflected moon in the ice makes it just about perfect.
Cheers fella. I was manouvering the camera around to try and get the best reflection. At one point I was nelt in the steam and didn't realise until the ice cold water soaked through 3 layers of trousers to my skin lol

Some fantastic shots there and this spurred me to look into this location and I think I'll definitely have to plan a trip up there at some point. The scenes are breathtaking!

Back