Back from PC Hell

Edit My Images
No
I managed to catch a nasty infection on my PC last week, I guess it was some kind of Trojan. I beleive I caught it whilst downloading an Mp3 on a P2P network (overnet).

I was running an upto date version of McAfee AV and Firewall. Windows was set to auto update but the infection still got through. It maybe because I also had AVG installed (but inactive) I now gather two AV programs can lessen your protection rather than increase it. All my critical software was legit as well.

The virus / trojan firstly started with Aurora popups which appeard with every webpage visited. This was not easy to remove in itself!! Once that was removed my search engine (google) was redirecting to another site all together. Passages of text were littered with dodgy links. Neither AV software, AdAware or Spybot could remove it. Tried an online scan, that found a couple of things but the problems were still there. Then my homepage kept re-directing and refreshing repeatedly. this meant I could not access internet options or anything else from the browser. I also lost my internet connection, this stopped OE and Firefox from working.

Disturbingly it also disabled McAfee firewall. Any attempt to restart it reset the computer!!!

I could get on-line in safe mode but I could not find a cure so in the end I did a complete re-install. So after much backing up and re-installing I am back. On the plus side the computer is working much faster now.

A big thanks to Matt for his help this morning [smilie=b:

I am sorry to hear about your trouble mate and am glad its all sorted now. Like CT I use a hardware firewall as well and also use a software one too but in this case neither would have helped as you accepted the file thinking it was innocent.

I gave up on AVG anti virus the last time they updated it as it would not work properly with my email scanning despite following all the suggestions on their forums. I now use AVAST and find it to be excellent for my needs.

The supposed best is NOD anti virus but that is a pay for program so it may not interest you if you are as cheap as me :wink: I guess as long as I don't have any bad experiances I will stick with what I have but what has happened to you could happen to me at any time and then I will have to cope with the fallout.

Glad its all fixed Steve and im glad that i was actually of some use!

AVG is just a filler until I find something better. Lost all faith in the mainstream AV progs. I guess they make bigger targets for the sad little no girlfriend, self abusing, greasy haired wierdos who write these Viri.

For antivirus software try either Avast which is free or Bitdefender which is not, both are very good. Bitdefender comes with a firewall as well.

I've found in the past that the most effective way of clearing an infected system is a complete reinstall, AV progs are good at stopping bad stuff but usually crap at cleaning out infections.

Back