Back up RAW files separately or through Lr?

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon all, up to now, I have been backing up my catalog through Lr on closure of the the program as you normally would to an external drive, however today I found there is an in built method in Lr to back up the actual RAW file images as a catalog file through Lr too??

Up to now however I have been transferring my RAW images from my SD cards onto my external SSD drive, to which I link with my Lr catalog to work off of and then have Chronosync make and automatic copy of the RAWs onto another drive as soon as they have been transferred from the SD card.. Is this an okay way of doing the back up of the RAWs files or should I be using Lightrooms in built way?

Cheers All :)

When importing your files with LR you can save the images to the folder you choose and at the same time create a backup elsewhere. There are many other things you can do on Import such as renaming, pre-processing as well. So LR is designed to make that backup. If you are unsure then look at one of the official LR videos from Adobe.

Dave

When importing your files with LR you can save the images to the folder you choose and at the same time create a backup elsewhere. There are many other things you can do on Import such as renaming, pre-processing as well. So LR is designed to make that backup. If you are unsure then look at one of the official LR videos from Adobe.

Dave
Thank you David, I didn't realise you could do that! :)

Its nice and simple too, in the import screen, along the top you can add, move or copy new files, I tend to use copy to move them all to my hard drive

Back