Bad Hare Day....

A nice set Russ and never easy to get near,but a pleasure to see when you come across them.

Cool,stay low buddy watch their ears Russ,it's all in those ears if they go up freeze,you'll get there mate,and when you do ,We'll be in for a treat.

Got kids about down here Russ ,tis ruddy nuts.
All the luck buddy

Stu

We have really grafted Russ,but I've latched onto a little spot i've know of for years the hares are just a little easier ,it's all about close with our gear Russ..They let me get in just that bit easier,given my chances mate you'ld produce some incredible stuff I'm convinced of this Russ,not blowing smoke bro. I'm incredibly lucky buddy ,it's utterly not taken for granted.but it has defintiely been a big facet of images produced recently.
Russ they will oft use gate ways also runs can be found over our cotswold dry stone walls. Now you have some(,ha ha I'm sad I'm so chuffed for you,) maybe step back and just watch a while see if you can pin point some hot spots. They do frequent certain places. obviously forms but cetrain areas are a draw in certain seasons Buddy sorry if you know all this i'm no expert,just want to share and help if at all possible.,We have been on them every chance of late, during which I feel I have learn a tiny bit. Man if I didn't constantly pull stupid hours I'd be living with the things,:D

You know me and camo Russ maybe a bit extreme,but the face and hands covered in some form a green is I feel a real asset,if able, presenting the lowest possible profile can get me in with no cover. Final tip start shooting way too early,those images will just go in the bin,but those ears are amazing they'll hear . My thought is they get used to the shutter gradually getting louder as one gets closer. So instead of the racket scaring them and one shot and bolt,they stay chilled.When that happens it can become magical,they are curious souls Russ if they don't precieve us as a threat they do on occasion come to you.

Russ one particular day last year,(you have seen a few shots from then) I spotted one outside the house. Frankly I was half dead from another horrendous day on site,but got me act together and headed out got in to around 50yards behind a dock, she had clocked me but it was all slow, so she didn't spook,I lay face down in the mud for maybe 20mins,ha nearly fell asleep:oops: :$,she slowly came and actually atracted another. It was a bewildering experience,I came back with 350 frames lots of duplicates sure,in under and hour. She came so close I couldn't fit in frame at 420mm. My clearest memory though was near the end,giving myself the luxury of looking at her for a few seconds not through the view finder.I'ncreible to look up to a hare from the ground at point blank. worth all the hardship of the crawling a million times over

Buddy I must stress I make a cock up of it often sure I'm a sneaky sod but there are no givens That said a totally wild hare coming to see what the hell you are;) is for me one of the biggest joys in life. I guess the want for others to have that chance is why you have all this. It's sometime difficult learning this togging lark Russ,as a learner I can't often give anything back but constantly have folks sharing their expertise and time. So maybe as much as anything there is a bit of me say thanks here,although still I stress no expert. It's hard to find this info Russ,you can bet I've searched.
Oh mate if you have GPS on the camera switch it off,Hares are predated by humans,a word of caution. My little spot and it's hares are a total tribute to the gamekeeper and landowner,there is a shoot,but they adore them too,so none are taken,I think the national decline is at 80% now.

I hope this helps mate in some small way:)
all the luck

stu

Stu, mate, your dedication is admirable - I can only marvel at the opportunities you have created to see your Hares!
I now think it easier for me to get a good shot of very small birds than of large Hares - but I will not give up.
Thanks again for all your thoughts and help buddy :):)

Russ

Back