Not open for further replies.

GT von

Suspended / Banned
Name
GT
Edit My Images
No
26645355754_b3966f2740_b.jpg

I think I can see what you're trying to do, but this doesn't work for me 'as is'. The rubble at the bottom of the image distracts instead of playing counterpoint to the balanced rocks and it lacks a focal point. It might also be stronger as a mono image, without that saturated blue sky.

Hope that's useful.

Never been to the petrified forest I see. I like the way God did it personally and wouldn't want to second guess Him.

Thanks for looking.

I'm afraid it isn't working for me either, sorry.
Very harsh sunshine and the featureless sky both work against you, and whilst the rocks probably are fantastic to see in RL, photographically I feel they need a wider aspect to give them some scale.

Rocks usually have images and I can see a lizards head on the LHS and you could visualise the rest of the body in the formation ...... but apart from that to me it is just an ordinary image, (and I have seen quite a few rocks)

does it have a (local) name?

It's the petrified forest on the hottest day of the year last year with temps that haven't been seen there before, so the harsh sunshine was quite appropriate, thank you for noticing that aspect. Yes, the name is Petrified Forest National Park.
The featureless sky makes the rocks the focal point, it's a good thing here, thanks.

Great comments, just what the image was going for.

Interesting set of rocks, but the lighting and composition are not doing them any favours in this shot unfortunately.

I'll see what God can do to make it the way you want it. :)

Ansel Adams said: Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter.
I think that applies here.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I'll, see what God can do to make it the way you want it. :)

Ansel Adams said: Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter.
I think that applies here.
Thanks.

Ansel Adams photographs were also in focus.
Your god doesn't give you your photographs
Your abilities do.

Im not sure what you were going for with this, if your goal was just to capture what you saw then fair enough it's done that. There is little eveidence of any creative thought having gone into it though and I'm not sure it would stand out against anyone else visiting the location with little knowledge of photography and a camera phone. Agree with the other comments about it maybe benefitting from a wider perspective to show the rocks in the context of the landscape and that the foreground positioned in the frame as it is, is too distracting... It's true you can't help the light or the arrangement of the rocks but the composition looks uninspired, you can attach a story or academic thought process after the fact as much as you like but the fact remains it looks like a grabbed snap shot of a mildly interesting rock formation, not God presenting you with the perfect opportunity to capture a photograph steeped in artistic merit... I mean seriously .

Last edited:
The best art looks effortless and you don't see the creative process that leads to the end result if it is successful.
Thanks.

The best art looks effortless and you don't see the creative process that leads to the end result if it is successful.
Thanks.

Hahaha if you say so... I don't think I will ever be able to proclaim my work as 'the best art', so I'll stay my opinions (apparently necessary clarification: in future regarding your work) as I am clearly not at the necessary level to appreciate this kind of photography

Last edited:
It is unless you lied in your other post,
There is little eveidence (spelling) of any creative thought having gone into it though
I am very glad that you are not the one to decide what photographs are or are not successful then. :)

At the end of the day, I only need to worry about pleasing myself, as the song says. If you worry about every person with a little knowledge of rules and not a lot of knowledge of art then you are making images for them and not for yourself. The moment you do that you lose what is you. I'd rather have photos no one likes and keep my soul than have photos everyone loves and no soul.
“To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.” ― Edward Weston

“If being an egomaniac means I believe in what I do and in my art or music, then in that respect you can call me that... I believe in what I do, and I'll say it.” -John Lennon
I take the photos that I love. Will everyone love them? No. Does that matter? No. Are the people that don't like my work more important to me than I am to myself? I think you know the answer to that.

I do however appreciate the time you took to make your personal opinions known to me and I will keep it in mind as I continue my journey through life and give it the consideration it deserves.

Sorry it looks like a fairly mundane record shot to me, if you enjoyed taking it and it has some artistic/personal meaning to you then fair enough that's absolutely fine, but if it's put on a critique section where observers know little of its background or it's personal connection to you then the feedback might not be what you're looking for. For what it's worth I think it might make a good mono from a different angle which shows it in better context given its quite stark appearance, but from this angle it isn't doing it any favours.

Thank you for your thoughts.
I dislike monochromatic photos and don't use them myself, the color adds so much to it that greyscale is like eating cake without frosting.
I dream in color, I live in color, I photograph in color. My memories are all in color.

This was taken from about a half mile away and it's huge, not something you just walk around to get a new angle on, plus you cannot leave designated areas and just wander around disturbing the park.
I hope you have the chance to see it in person and then understand what is there and what it takes to photograph there.

And, again, thank you.

@GT von .......... it is a pity that you cannot treat other people's opinion with at least a little respect as they have done as far as yours are concerned on this and other threads, your arrogance is certainly not in any way justified.......... from what you have said or posted

I am quite happy to see your point of view if you explain it in a reasonable way and at least recognise the critique that is being offered, (in good faith) ......... you seem to want to argue the opposite of what people say, rather than discuss what they have said?

It is a bit like your "baby cactus wren in saguaro" image

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/baby-cactus-wren-in-saguaro.626035/

posted in the bird (critique) forum ...... when I first saw it I had no idea what to say ...... and still have no idea what the image is about or what a sensible comment would be ........ cannot see the bird, technically it is very poor, composition is confusing at best .. either for the environment or subject standpoint and initially I thought saguaro was a place ..... I did not see any merit in the image at all .. although I would be interested to see a Cactus Wren?

Last edited:
Welcome back Dickie! Got some new socks then?

I looked at the work of those that did not like the image and see that I needn't worry about their opinions too much.
Thanks.

I looked at the work of those that did not like the image and see that I needn't worry about their opinions too much.
Thanks.

So people take the time to offer you critique, you reject it out of hand and then insult them. Tell me, why did you post photos in the critique section of the forum? If you're happy with your photos, that's fine but, if you post them here, expect people to give their opinions and show the appropriate manners in return.

Its isn't sharp, and the lighting is doing it no favours at all.
That said, it does look an interesting geological feature, if it was shot more sympathetically.

So people take the time to offer you critique, you reject it out of hand and then insult them. Tell me, why did you post photos in the critique section of the forum? If you're happy with your photos, that's fine but, if you post them here, expect people to give their opinions and show the appropriate manners in return.

I believe he's borrow a phrase from another thread involving pictures from London, where he was rather harsh about the images posted for critique without offering constructive suggestions. In that thread the OP commented that he wasn't upset by the criticism, having viewed the quality of GTV's work.

I believe he's borrow a phrase from another thread involving pictures from London, where he was rather harsh about the images posted for critique without offering constructive suggestions. In that thread the OP commented that he wasn't upset by the criticism, having viewed the quality of GTV's work.

I see, sounds eerily familiar. :cautious:

It would be if it was. ;)

The person seems to be from Arizona ..... the Cactus Wren has a limited habitat, albeit a large one being in the Southern US and parts of Mexico

I much prefer Dickie, at least he was amusing

That'd be me [emoji23]

A warning has been given for this post
Pretend you saw it and didn't get it, then post anything.
And be sure to pretend you know more than you do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back