Bamburgh Castle Dawn

Name
Stuart McGlennon
Edit My Images
No
Had a fairly drab run weather-wise lately so on a promising forecast and a high but receding tide chanced a sunrise at Bamburgh - I've only been once before many months ago so thought why not as I seem to be quite lucky with sunrises when I visit the North East coast.

Here's a wee selection, from dawn through to well after the sun was up for a bit of contrast. The second I had trouble convincing myself it was level as there's alot of competing angles (steep beach, distant building) pretty sure it's straight off the horizon in the upper left third.

Bamburgh Dawn by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Black & Gold by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Through the Dunes by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Niiiiice stuff here, Stuart! (y)

Very nice Stuart
I really like #1 but the other two are good #2 is a close second for me.

Last edited:
Dawn by a country mile.

I do like the last and technically it's great but the 1st is such a wonderful colour fest

Niiiiice stuff here, Stuart! (y)

Really like #1. Well done!

Cery nice Stuart
I really like #1 but the other two are good #2 is a close second for me.
Thanks everyone, good morning to be out if a little tiring having drove through the night

Thanks everyone, good morning to be out if a little tiring having drove through the night

You got to be in it to win it. 10 hours I was in the car yesterday for Assynt and it will be an all nighter tomorrow if I want to make Torridon/Skye for the morning. Your image is great and I bet at the time it was all worth it :D

Beautiful, live the dawn shot but the black and gold is a nice subdued post dawn shot, very nice tones.
Thanks Alan

Superb all round. The first is an eye catcher but prefer the second for the quality of the golden tones, detail, textures and simplicity to make a very pleasing picture.
Thanks Scott, glad you both enjoy the second it's probably my favourite from the morning

Second for me too,love the gold tones. Only slight crit is it seems a little unbalanced,with the left side dominating a tad, I think I may have had the sun fully in the frame unless there were flare issues maybe. Cracking shots though, well worth the effort.

Lovely shots! I have visited this place twice but haven't blessed with good light. I'll be happy if I got the same light as your first picture.

Second for me too,love the gold tones. Only slight crit is it seems a little unbalanced,with the left side dominating a tad, I think I may have had the sun fully in the frame unless there were flare issues maybe. Cracking shots though, well worth the effort.
Thanks, I was lying face down taking that so wasn't the easiest shot, sun was crazy bright so it was a case of putting the castle near a third and eliminating the sun. I know what you mean though and in hindsight i'd have moved a touch right to eliminate the small puddle bottom left.

Lovely shots! I have visited this place twice but haven't blessed with good light. I'll be happy if I got the same light as your first picture.
Thanks John, yes I've been pretty fortunate on these trips to the coast - 3 for 3 so far lol

Those are beautiful, #1 has amazing colours - well worth the feeling of being tired.
Thank you for sharing:clap:

Really like these - fabulous colours and compositions - image 3 nails it for me - great use of foreground interest and leading lines to control / guide to the focal point - effective and well executed.

Spooks

You had a good morning there Stu, love the first and would love to see the third from later in the day with the sun out of shot right or even early mid summer sunrise out of shot left?

Those are beautiful, #1 has amazing colours - well worth the feeling of being tired.
Thank you for sharing:clap:
Thanks very much

Really like these - fabulous colours and compositions - image 3 nails it for me - great use of foreground interest and leading lines to control / guide to the focal point - effective and well executed.

Spooks
Thanks again, 3 was a nice find for future visits in different conditions

You had a good morning there Stu, love the first and would love to see the third from later in the day with the sun out of shot right or even early mid summer sunrise out of shot left?
Thanks Andy, yeah one to try for future conditions, it's such a great spot it'll probably work whatever the weather

Stonking set Stu. The first image has it all, superb!!

Let me know when you are next going and if you get conditions like you did in the first I'll make the drive up from Suffolk! Super colours, optionally you could lose a little form the RHS.

The second does nothing for me but the third is one of the very best shots I've seen from Bamburgh. Could easily make it as the front cover of a tourism magazine. The blown sky does not even bother me and my old hates technical imperfections, but it's ok because it literally feels like you are standing there and that is how it would feel/look.

1 and 3 work brilliant, The colours in the first one are stunning and the composition of the third one is superb, Love the peace and tranquility of it, Nice subtle yellow colours. Well done.

Lovely set there Stuart. Can image the first being printed HUGED, it looks rather splendid although all three have there merit with the different lighting and colours. Cracking set.

Let me know when you are next going and if you get conditions like you did in the first I'll make the drive up from Suffolk! Super colours, optionally you could lose a little form the RHS.

The second does nothing for me but the third is one of the very best shots I've seen from Bamburgh. Could easily make it as the front cover of a tourism magazine. The blown sky does not even bother me and my old hates technical imperfections, but it's ok because it literally feels like you are standing there and that is how it would feel/look.
Many thanks craig, 3rd is probably my fave from the morning, nothings blown on the histogram but I've kept it as realistic as possible, the light was really glowing. One of those situations I've no issue shooting into direct light if it merits the image, this was exposure blended which I've really found useful lately.

1 and 3 work brilliant, The colours in the first one are stunning and the composition of the third one is superb, Love the peace and tranquility of it, Nice subtle yellow colours. Well done.
Thanks alot glad you like em.

Lovely set there Stuart. Can image the first being printed HUGED, it looks rather splendid although all three have there merit with the different lighting and colours. Cracking set.
Cheers Paul the sunrises always seem more vivid on the east coast in comparison with our sunsets on the west coast. Dunno why, maybe I've just not seen enough decent ones where I live!

Hi, #1 is a bit special, wonderful colours and detail. was there a slight mist?

#2 seems to be leaning to the left but loving the textures and patterns in the sand.

Always liked it there.

Cheers.

Back