Critique Bamburgh Sunrise - Northumberland

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I was due to be un in Northumberland running a workshop on Saturday so I figured I'd make the most of the day and get up for sunrise as well.
Left the house at 4m and was up at Bamburgh for about 5.15, just in time for the light coming in.
The sun broke the horizon at around 6am and cast a lovely light over the wet rocks and the seaweed on the beach.
Luckily there was only 2 other folk there so no spoiled shots or waiting to get into position etc.

Both taken with Canon 6D + 17-40L with a LEE 0.6 hard edged and 0.6 soft edged grad filter

1 - 0.6 seconds // f16 // ISO50 // 17mm

2 - 0.8 seconds // f16 // ISO50 // 17mm

Nick

Just looking on a borrowed laptop so not the best screen, but the first has it for me by a mile. Great lighting down the left hand side from the sun on the rocks but the right hand side is strong enough to hold its own as well. The second is a bit washed out in comparison and the green jars a bit.

Last edited:
Hi Nick indeed always worth getting up for a sunrise indeed, the composition sits nicely for me in #1 and I can see why you have gone for composition in #2 as the colour certainly does add to the overall picture indeed, so maybe a portraight crop placing the castle central and cutting off the ditraction LHS, ps liking the light hitting it also bringing out the features.

I like no 1 compositionally but the sunrise hasn't really done you any favours and is quite ordinary with a flatish sky

Might just be me but neither shot looks quite level?

I don't like the portrait crop above on shot no 2 and prefer the original

Last edited:
#1 for me as well. Great detail in the foreground and sharp too. Like Big Nick I feel like it's sloping to the left but it may be an optical illusion and because of the detail on the horizon it's a job to check. Lovely shot though.

Last edited:
First one for me Nick, I really like how youve caught the sun reflecting on the rocks and on the side of the castle.

The second one is not quite as good and the green looks a little fluorescent, although on saying that Kevin's crop improves it

Last edited:
Love them both get em hung your wall!

Although the light is excellent and you've balanced the exposure well with your filter, I think the pictures could be improved if the castle was not so small in the frame. By going with 17mm, you're over-emphasising the foreground which isn't really all that interesting (aside from the nice reflections on the wet rocks). Unless you've got something very cool in the foreground, having such a wide angle doesn't work so well.

I wonder if you could have played with reflections in those mid-distance pools a bit, used a longer focal length, and made a more interesting shot as a result.

Back