Critique Bamburgh Sunrise - More added!

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
A couple from a 121 workshop yesterday morning up at Bamburgh. We got there and the sky was already starting to look good so I knew we'd be in for a treat. Thankfully it materialised and we had a great morning. There was a bank of fog early doors but thankfully as the sun rose it burned off.

Both taken with 6D & 17-40L with Lee 0.6H and 0.9S grads.

Thanks

Nick

Last edited:
Both are good but

1. Be careful with use of grads. Whilst you've balanced the exposure the net effect is the sky is darker than the water reflection. I also hate flares and can see evidence of red lines etc in the frame. Otherwise the shot is pretty much excellent.
2. This is just the better image. The lead in from the water through the rock, more off centred position of the castle, lack of flare and sun (I don't particularly care for the sun being in the image, what happens before and after tends to be better) and better colours in the sky all add up to a really excellent, warm, exciting and dynamic image. Really good work and the ambient light levels between sky and reflection seem better balanced too/

Amazing pair of shots!

Cheers mate :)

Both are good but

1. Be careful with use of grads. Whilst you've balanced the exposure the net effect is the sky is darker than the water reflection. I also hate flares and can see evidence of red lines etc in the frame. Otherwise the shot is pretty much excellent.
2. This is just the better image. The lead in from the water through the rock, more off centred position of the castle, lack of flare and sun (I don't particularly care for the sun being in the image, what happens before and after tends to be better) and better colours in the sky all add up to a really excellent, warm, exciting and dynamic image. Really good work and the ambient light levels between sky and reflection seem better balanced too/

Cheers Steve. I processed it with the vignetter removes from the corners and a bit lighter sky but wasn't really keen on the way it looked but I see your point re the reflections being brighter etc. Cheers for the replies :) was nice to get out and get some new shots!

Great bit of work Nick, agree with Steve's comments on these. Both are very good but #2 is "Excellent".(y)

George.

They're al lovely Nick. Agree with the point Steve made in respect of the grads, but they're still great nevertheless.

I think they are great and I suspect I would have been using a reverse grad but I was not there

I think you have great potential with these but I feel they're edited just a bit too harshly. There seems to be too much clarity for me and maybe slightly too saturated in parts. You also have halos around the castle, at this size I'm not sure if it's chromatic aberration or the result of over sharpening. There is also some lens distortion in number 2 putting the castle on a slant, and the tones are a bit muddy in this and number 3. Don't get me wrong, they are nice as they are but I feel you could improve them by careful editing

Some staggering shots, totally unique of a well photographed location and excellent compositions. I agree with the others that they are perhaps over gradded, but I sympathise because I have really messed up these 'nuclear' viivd sunrises before trying to tame the highlights.

Back