Bamburgh

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
A classic Bamburgh scene from a moody morning before one of the best sunrises I've had here....B&W isn't my strongest thing when it comes to processing, I don't like using Sliver Efex even though I have it, the conversions all look too samey, so I do mine in Lightroom....any critique on the conversion most welcome.

Moody Bamburgh by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Works very well in mono, plus there's a real feel of movement in the foreground water that gives life to the photo.

I love B&W and I think you've done a cracking job with this. Lovely range of tones from very dark near blacks to almost whites, with great textures in the sea and clouds. I think your choice of shutter speed was spot on and has shown just the right amount of movement. I especially like that that dark castle is silhouetted against the white sky which is then surrounded (almost framed) by the dark clouds at the edges

I love B&W and I think you've done a cracking job with this. Lovely range of tones from very dark near blacks to almost whites, with great textures in the sea and clouds. I think your choice of shutter speed was spot on and has shown just the right amount of movement. I especially like that that dark castle is silhouetted against the white sky which is then surrounded (almost framed) by the dark clouds at the edges
Couldn't put it better - exceptional photography
James

I'd pretty much stopped opening Bamburgh threads but I'm glad I looked at this one, great job

Fantastic, something different but equally stunning as the norm. from this location. It really works very well for all of the reasons pointed out by Carl.

Love it. Superb monochrome image. Full of drama in the sea and the sky.

great shot, the movement in the water, and the break in the clouds to highlight the Island, fantastic

Excellent shot. Makes you feel like you are there because of the perception of movement of the waves of the water

Love that Martin, the sky is amazing, really dramatic and the movement in the sea is spot on. The castle as silhouette works really well too.

I hope you wore wellies :)

Now that is my cup of tea!

Love the moody feel to this, and the blackness of the clouds give me a feeling of being closed in, even though it is a wide open space. Very effective, and the PP really suits the image. I imagine something like this would look fantastic printed onto aluminium. Im no landscape photographer, but much prefer this sort of thing to the standard, boring (IMHO) half and half refection landscapes you see so much of. So much more feeling in this type of shot.

Cheers

Nick

Love it.

The shutter speed is perfect for capturing the movement of the sea. Brilliant.

Did you try different speeds or anything?

Nice mood Martin and I like the motion in the ocean (yeah I know it is the North Sea)

Thank you all so much for the comments and feedback :)

@Mat0tam for once I didn't get wet :D

@EdinDevon I did indeed, it turned out to be one of the best sunrises i've ever shot at Bamburgh, and I've shot there a lot.

This was taken the same morning a wee bit later on when the sun broke....

Bamburgh by Martin Steele, on Flickr

That shot is great Martin. Those conditions are lovely.

Excellent capture and really like the moody sky and the tones in the black and white. Also like the colour ones with the sun coming through and the reflection on the front rock.

Andy

Two gorgeous captures.

The mono is much more dramatic and a harder image to 'achieve' than the colour. But I love them both. A place I've always wanted to visit and photograph too.

Another great Bamburg shot, love the light and the sky really makes the image pop

Both super shots. I do like the mono conversion, bags of texture in the water and atmosphere. The colour image at sunrise is a cracker, such a range of colours and you've handled the exposure well. A location I need to try and visit.

Lovely mono Martin, you blurred the water just enough to add a bit of anger to the picture, -- and your colour picture is superb,

Geoff

Back