Bamburgh

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
I went to Bamburgh on Friday morning for a sunrise, but what I got was much better. I'm not into blazing atomic sunrises, but some light would have been nice, however, it was all just dark and moody, with a massive high tide and huge swell mixed with a dark brooding sky...right up my street....

Bamburgh 2 by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Bamburgh 3 by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Bamburgh 1 by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Really nice set Martin, #1 does it for me, I prefer the slightly cool tones in moody images over the warmer tones.

All fine compositions and although they are not my thing I do like them a lot. The sky has lots of definition in it (but without having that too much clarity look) and the waves add that crucial touch of brightness to lift the shot out of just being "dark".

One thing - and I find it the same with all vertical shots is a 3:2 is fine on landscape but on 2:3 it can look quite skinny. Keep them as this if you sell them commercially as there's bags of room for text etc. Probably as landscapes on a forum or social media I might show them as 5x7's (still quite skinny) or 3x4 or even 4x5. Keep all the bottoms and see how each aspect removes some of the sky and see if you prefer it. Easy to undo if you don't.

Last edited:
#1 for me dude i like the lights on in the castle grounds, but all 3 are up my street. nice work dude.

Excellent set of images, I really enjoy a vertical landscape.
Thank you Tim, I always seem to prefer my portrait orientated images :)

Really nice set Martin, #1 does it for me, I prefer the slightly cool tones in moody images over the warmer tones.
Thank you Stuart :)

All fine compositions and although they are not my thing I do like them a lot. The sky has lots of definition in it (but without having that too much clarity look) and the waves add that crucial touch of brightness to lift the shot out of just being "dark".

One thing - and I find it the same with all vertical shots is a 3:2 is fine on landscape but on 2:3 it can look quite skinny. Keep them as this if you sell them commercially as there's bags of room for text etc. Probably as landscapes on a forum or social media I might show them as 5x7's (still quite skinny) or 3x4 or even 4x5. Keep all the bottoms and see how each aspect removes some of the sky and see if you prefer it. Easy to undo if you don't.
Cheers mate. I normally do go for a 4:5 but liked the sky to much to lose any :D

#1 for me dude i like the lights on in the castle grounds, but all 3 are up my street. nice work dude.
Cheers Danny mate :)

Classy stuff Martin. Much prefer that mood over a blazing sunrise.
Cheers Scott mate, and I 100% agree :)

They're all fine images, but the splash of green in the third just tips that one to be my favourite.

Fab stuff Martin, 1 and 3 for me. For me there's not enough going on in the sky in 2 for that composition (I'd still be proud of it if it were mine though!)

Last edited:
I like all of those Martin 3 is smashing. Re. crops it's not so much 3:2 in portrait is too tall for me it's more these are 50/50 splits between sky and land, like Neil says I'd be inclined to go 7:5 then you still keep a lot of the nice sky.

As said, excellent.

They're all fine images, but the splash of green in the third just tips that one to be my favourite.
Fab stuff Martin, 1 and 3 for me. For me there's not enough going on in the sky in 2 for that composition (I'd still be proud of it if it were mine though!)
3 lovely images Martin, great work as always.
:plus1:... I also agree with Stephen regarding 3:2 in portrait, I personally don't think you need so much sky in these and would prob go 7:5.
I like all of those Martin 3 is smashing. Re. crops it's not so much 3:2 in portrait is too tall for me it's more these are 50/50 splits between sky and land, like Neil says I'd be inclined to go 7:5 then you still keep a lot of the nice sky.
As said, excellent.

Thanks folks, much appreciated.

Regarding the crop suggestion, whilst I normally do go for a 5:4 or 7:5 I don't know why I didn't in these images, maybe processing them as soon as I got home from a 2am start didn't help, but I just had a quick look at them in Lightroom and cropped all 3 to 7:5 and they sit MUCH better with me.

Thanks folks :)

Back