Bamford Heather

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a week off work so planned to try and get some heather photos up in the Peak District.

I tried a couple of sunrises, but the light was poor so decided to give a sunset a try and make the most of my time off.

I arrived on Bamford Edge a couple of hours before sunset and scouted round for a composition away from the normal viewpoint as it was crowded with walkers / day trippers.

It was very hazy and the wind direction / clouds looked like they may snuff out any light at sunset - so I got some shots as the sun dropped lower and the low cloud started to move in.

I waited it out, but as I had expected the sun disappeared 30 minutes before sunset.

Golden Days by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Last edited:
I like this overall but I would most certainly lift the exposure of the bottom half of the image by about a stop. Do a test print to see what I mean

EDIT - I have raised the exposure on the bottom section by around 1/3rd stop. It just does not look right if I push further than that.

Dave.

Looks about right now. Without the grey cloud the heather would have had a fair bit of warm sunshine which would have helped. In all fairness I got even worse conditions there on Tuesday; well dreadful conditions to be precise.

Looks about right now. Without the grey cloud the heather would have had a fair bit of warm sunshine which would have helped. In all fairness I got even worse conditions there on Tuesday; well dreadful conditions to be precise.

I was up on Carl Wark and Higger Tor for sunrise on Tuesday. Unfortunately it was just low cloud drifting through and most light was snuffed out for the first 3 hours.

Nice to see a different viewpoint of that location rather than from the rocks looking towards upper derwent.

One of the best I've seen from this place, it's not an easy spot to put your own stamp on but you're done that here. Really beautiful.

Back