Band shots in studio

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
My mates in a covers band and asked me to take some photos of them, after watching several thousand videos on youtube i took some photos. I wasnt happy with the whole set or how it went and probably made lots of mistakes. Working in my lounge is a little tight and cramped.

feel free to rip the heck out of them and me i have some thick skin

NPH_0297 by Neil Hinder, on Flickr

NPH_0387 by Neil Hinder, on Flickr

NPH_0492 bw by Neil Hinder, on Flickr

NPH_0446 by Neil Hinder, on Flickr

Untitled-3 by Neil Hinder, on Flickr

NPH_0476 by Neil Hinder, on Flickr

NPH_0264 by Neil Hinder, on Flickr

NPH_0186 by Neil Hinder, on Flickr

Not a bad attempt, and I'm no expert, but they seem a bit too portraity for a band, if that makes sense.
I think they need to be more dramatic looking from a lighting point of view.

Not a bad attempt, and I'm no expert, but they seem a bit too portraity for a band, if that makes sense.
I think they need to be more dramatic looking from a lighting point of view.

completely and totally agree. Was supposed to have a smoke machine but it didnt work! i also wanted to shoot outside but weather wasnt great. Im going to take some live ones next month for them.

They are however a cover band for weddings so they need to look kind of less bandy as well. But i do whole heartily agree with you

Agree, not a bad attempt and you're probably restricted by the size of your room. An alternative to photographing a gig is using a rehearsal room. Some rehearsal studios, such as Pirate, have stages where you can set up as a band for the live look but are not hampered by punters and you can get in close to the band.

Quick question, is that what they wear on stage as a wedding cover band? I work in a couple of bands, one of which is a function/wedding band and the dress is lot less informal than if we are playing pubs. Weddings are a funny business, ask the wedding togs on here, and it's the same with bands. First impressions are important and these days prospective customers are presented with a large number of bands to choose from.

If that's the image that they're happy with then I would, as was previously said, go for a little more dramatic light or even some mono shots. There has to be something that catches the customers eye. Have a look on Freak music as to what the typical wedding/function band shots are like ( http://www.freakmusic.co.uk ). They do tend to be samey but this is the competition for the band.

Also for the band shot, make sure either all of them are smiling or all looking a bit moody. I'm the miserable sod in the band but still have to raise a smile for the odd band photo.

Last edited:
Agree, not a bad attempt and you're probably restricted by the size of your room. An alternative to photographing a gig is using a rehearsal room. Some rehearsal studios, such as Pirate, have stages where you can set up as a band for the live look but are not hampered by punters and you can get in close to the band.

Quick question, is that what they wear on stage as a wedding cover band? I work in a couple of bands, one of which is a function/wedding band and the dress is a little informal.

If that's the image that they're happy with then I would, as was previously said, go for a little more dramatic light or even some mono shots.

Also for the band shot, make sure either all of them are smiling or all looking a bit moody. I'm the miserable sod in the band but still have to raise a smile for the odd band photo.
i was extremely unhappy with my group shots of the band and im hoping when they are live i can get some better ones before the gig or something.
All great points.

Sorry, edited my post whilst you were posting a reply. Have added a link and fixed some stupid typos!

Really nice set of images Sir, with some good poses & expressions.(y)

“Agree about them being a tad portraity but you can only work to the limit of your equipment and location which are not always as we would all like”

George.

The first thing to do with the band is to establish a concept.
Maybe they got not idea so it will come to you to cook one.

In this session, there was none… no direction. They showed
up and you shot them… you did quite decent photographs
but I don't see that these hang together anyhow… but the fun
of making it.

Now it's time to get to it… the right way: an image concept.

Go for it! :cool:

The first thing to do with the band is to establish a concept.
Maybe they got not idea so it will come to you to cook one.

In this session, there was none… no direction. They showed
up and you shot them… you did quite decent photographs
but I don't see that these hang together anyhow… but the fun
of making it.

Now it's time to get to it… the right way: an image concept.

Go for it! :cool:
I'll go watch them live and then I'll get them back in. And have some fun. Or maybe their live shots will be better!

I think some good, live gig photos might be better. However, if you want some 'posed' portraits, as they're a covers band, how about doing some 'covers' type photos of them? Perhaps look at some of the classic 60s and 70s album cover photos to gain some inspiration then do your own 'take' (or possibly even a bit of a light-hearted spoof) of them (without actually copying someone else's photo!)? I wouldn't try the Beatles zebra crossing thing as the way traffic is these days you'd probably all get run-over and/or suffer a road-rage attack for holding up the traffic! :facepalm: OK, so a zebra crossing type photo might not be viable or safe, but the concept of a covers band 'tribute' type photo (or a mini-series of several) might give you some inspiration? Hope this suggestion is useful, or at least made you smile. (y)

Last edited:
Hi Neil, I think your shots are good but for me they don't say band. I don't think they feel natural enough. I've been into music all my life and I play the guitar and I think you could get some great shots if you could find space to shoot them playing as a group or individually if space is limited. If you can get some fine weather I'd try getting some shots of them walking down a street with a wall behind them. It's a classic shot of a band in my eyes. You could always borrow some ideas from classic music videos and make them your/the bands own.
I'm sure you'll manage to get some shots that the band and yourself like and I look forward to seeing them

I like these.

The last two are fab ...

the guitar head, Rickenbacker bass, no less, at the fore (do a reshoot and emphasise it even more).

the lone snare FG, upward POV with drummer head up and a hint of stick movement. .... works a treat.

(y)

One thing that caught my attention is your strobes showing in the glasses of 4 photo's. In one of them you can be seen photographing. Reminds me of when I once got the struts of a shoot through brolly in the glasses of 1 of a group of 15 when shooting head shots, didn't notice until later

One thing that caught my attention is your strobes showing in the glasses of 4 photo's. In one of them you can be seen photographing. Reminds me of when I once got the struts of a shoot through brolly in the glasses of 1 of a group of 15 when shooting head shots, didn't notice until later
Steve i was like im in a tiny living room without much space you are going to get reflections. In the end i thought sod it! I diddnt have enough space to move them about properly .Doesnt help with 6 people there as well as the equipment one at a time may have made it a whole bunch easier.

Back