Banff & Yoho National Parks

Name
Sid
Edit My Images
Yes
Visited Lake Louise over this past weekend. A little bit surprised to see the lake was frozen over a little. Still, great scenery, lovely area and I got to see a tiny avalanche.

DSC_1712 by TorontoBlue, on Flickr

Paid a visit to Emerald Lake on the same day, and thankfully this was perfectly clear of ice and snow.

DSC_1814 by TorontoBlue, on Flickr

DSC_1828 by TorontoBlue, on Flickr

The lovely milky green/blue Kicking Horse River just as it leaves the Natural Bridge waterfall, in Yoho National Park, British Columbia.

I know the sky is a little blown out; I had problems all day trying to not blow the highlights in the sky. Totally forgot about taking bracket shots :bang:

DSC_1855 by TorontoBlue, on Flickr

Just did a little colour boost and sharpness in NX2 on all photos.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
A beautiful wilderness.

Stunning images, I'd be proud of these. We are going to BC on a road-trip in September...any tips on where to see/avoid? Is Calgary worth any time or best concentrating on the parks?

Stunning, i was at lake louise 15yrs ago, before i was photo mad, god knows how i would leave if i went now, hours of shooting to be had!

Stunning images, I'd be proud of these. We are going to BC on a road-trip in September...any tips on where to see/avoid? Is Calgary worth any time or best concentrating on the parks?

You'll be wasting your time going to Calgary; it's just a boring Canadian city. Better staying the other side of the Rockies and travelling around the BC interior; Banff, Lake Louise, Kelowna, and then into Alberta for the area around Jasper (Jasper itself is pretty mundane), Columbia Icefields, and all things in between. The drive down Okanagan Valley & Lake is spectacular.

I could totally live like a wild man in the forest in a place like that. Beautiful.

Been there, done that, got the same pictures :) (can be found from the link in my sig)

I've been to a few great locations for photography but have to say the Canadian Rockies is at the top of my list. A must see for any keen photographer I'd say.

Jasper is a great base for exploring. We stayed in a log cabin there and woke up one morning to Elk grazing on the grass outside the window.

No exif so can't see what time of day it was but the light does look a bit harsh. I went to lake Louise for daybreak one morning - it was worth getting up for.

We went in September. There were less tourists and the weather was kind to us. I'd say it was a good time to go.

Only small downside is the water levels could be a bit lower than in the summer so waterfalls etc are less dramatic. Not really a problem though :)

If you go to my Canada pictures in my sig link they have place names so you could plot our route. We flew to Calgary (mindcrime is right about Calgary) and drove to Vancouver. There were very few dull areas on the route.

Thanks both for the advice...stunning images, I hope we get the weather that you had Robert!

Been there, done that, got the same pictures :) (can be found from the link in my sig)

I've been to a few great locations for photography but have to say the Canadian Rockies is at the top of my list. A must see for any keen photographer I'd say.

Jasper is a great base for exploring. We stayed in a log cabin there and woke up one morning to Elk grazing on the grass outside the window.

No exif so can't see what time of day it was but the light does look a bit harsh. I went to lake Louise for daybreak one morning - it was worth getting up for.

Driven through the Rockies on a few occassions now, but this was the first time I've actually spent a whole weekend there. Definitely need to get back and retake most of my shots as from the 400 or so I took, there was maybe about 30 keepers.

The time of the Lake Louise photo was around 1.30pm, and Emerald Lake was around 7pm.

Was there over Christmas & New Year. We were able to ski on the lake.
Absolutely stunning part of the world.

I would agree, staying/visiting Calgary would be a bit of a waste of time.
Far better to move along to Banff and Jasper.

Paul

Back