Barbican (and one London skyline, two more added)

Edit My Images
Yes
Treated myself to an afternoon of photography on Friday. Wandered into the Barbican at just the right time as a set of heavy clouds rolled in but the afternoon sun was still hitting Frobisher Crescent and the looming tower behind. Add in my usual heavy handed PP and I quite like these:

21888297578_c4e8a0be9d_b.jpg

22063722402_c043611d92_b.jpg

3. Then a wander down the South Bank to Bermondsey for a view back to the City. Would have helped if I had taken the correct big stopper with me. This one was too big so I had to hold it in place which seemed to work OK. I'll go back to this point when the tide is a bit further out and I have time to wait for the sunset (I was in the last three metres of shingle with the tide rolling in fast).
22050018556_6e2b5995e4_b.jpg

All three taken with the 14mm on a Fuji XT1. Comments appreciated as always.

I was thrown by the 3rd as pp was the odd one out of the set..............for me #3 needs the same treatment to stand out.

Agreed it looks pretty bland next to the others but the light is very different and the same PP doesn't work. I don't view them as a set, just three photos from two different locations taken on the same day.

I like the framing of Frobisher Crescent in the first - I think that the heavy handed PP works well with the Barbican to bring that extra touch of brutality!

I was thrown by the 3rd as pp was the odd one out of the set..............for me #3 needs the same treatment to stand out.
+1
…I think that the heavy handed PP works well with the Barbican to bring that extra touch of brutality!
+1
A great way to emphasize the graphic elements in the first two shots!

All your images are absolutely gorgeous - I love the intensity of the clouds on the first 2, very dramatic

Really like the first shot, great drama in the clouds and nice highlights on the background building. 3rd image is good, but doesn't have the same drama as the others.

Absolutely love the 1st Ian, the PP works perfectly on this imo. I also like the 3rd and don't think you need to change the PP, as it's a different type of shot all together and works for me!

Fantastic trio of shots, with the first being (for me) the winner. That dramatic sky and the sweep of the building leading to the tower block is spot on :)

The third is a classic - love to see it in colour!

I really the shots of the barbican the sjkyline shot is good but loses out by the fact it is too small and it is next to the other two shots.

Not for me I'm afraid.
The river looks far too smooth and artificial.
One of the characteristics of the Thames is that it never stops moving.

Not for me I'm afraid.
The river looks far too smooth and artificial.
One of the characteristics of the Thames is that it never stops moving.

Fair point. My wife doesn't like these type of shots for much the same reason. But for me, this is a shot looking over the river and the subject is the City, not the water. A freeze-frame shot makes the water (and sometimes the sky) too distracting. But it is certainly artificial and I can see it won't be to everyone's taste. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Fair point. My wife doesn't like these type of shots for much the same reason. But for me, this is a shot looking over the river and the subject is the City, not the water. A freeze-frame shot makes the water (and sometimes the sky) too distracting. But it is certainly artificial and I can see it won't be to everyone's taste. Thanks for taking the time to comment.
Fair enough, it was a personal comment.
I like to see the restless nature of the river and don't really feel it's distracting.
The second one, with the lights on, looks great, and you have a really nice sky as a backdrop to the city.
The other disadvantage of a long exposure like that is the burring of the boats on the left.
The last time I took a similar shot to that, there was a section of lighting not working on the Tower Bridge upper walkway.
It was out for ages, but it's nice to see it's been repaired.

Really like the first one of the Barbican and the last two.

After a recent visit to London and a wonder around the City of London and Whitechapel area as the sun was going down I would love to go back with a tripod in hand!

The last two are by far the best to me.
London looks great in that kind of light.

A really good set of images thanks for sharing.

I think I prefer the first version, which tends to draw the eye to the tower.
There seems to be too much loss of detail in the lower part, especially the lower right.
If this were in a club competition the judge would probably say the bright areas in the sky draw the eye away from the main subject.

You are right about the loss of detail in the post - it doesn't look so bad in Lightroom so something has happened getting here via Flickr. I'm wondering whether I posted the right version to Flickr. Maybe the one left in Lightroom is a later, marginally better version...

Personally, I thought the long curve drew the eye away from the tower in the first version, hence the recrop, but I'll compare them once I've printed both out.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

You are right about the loss of detail in the post - it doesn't look so bad in Lightroom so something has happened getting here via Flickr. I'm wondering whether I posted the right version to Flickr. Maybe the one left in Lightroom is a later, marginally better version...

Personally, I thought the long curve drew the eye away from the tower in the first version, hence the recrop, but I'll compare them once I've printed both out.
Since we (in the west) read from left to right, that's normally taken as the way people view photos, in which case in the first version, I find my eye is taken towards the tower and then up towards the sky.

I've heard complaints about images looking OK in LR but not on Flickr but your images here do not seem to link back to Flickr.
If the image on Flickr is also losing detail then you need to check your export settings in LR.
I have LR set to automatically open the exported image in Photoshop, so I get an instant review of how the exported image looks.

Great pics, I love wandering around the barbican on a Sunday, it's like 28days later.

Back