Barn owl skull?

Edit My Images
Yes
Any thoughts Chris @Cobra

We initially thought it was a young Buzzard skull but the wife's had it on a FB group and one chaps said Barn owl.

It does look a close match but it was pickup in a conifer plantation, not somewhere I expect a Barn owl to roost, unless of course, it was carrion/ a meal for sumot.

Barn owl skull.jpg

Intriguing for sure?

I think a distinguishing feature might be the positions of ear canals.....in a barn owl(all owls?) I think they are offset i.e. not exactly the same position each side of the skull. This as I think I recall is to aid their locating prey by sound not sight such as when seen hovering ready to strike?

Looks to have a short lower bill?

Comparison from interwebbie thing:-

tytoalba_s.jpg

Intriguing for sure?

I think a distinguishing feature might be the positions of ear canals.....in a barn owl(all owls?) I think they are offset i.e. not exactly the same position each side of the skull. This as I think I recall is to aid their locating prey by sound not sight such as when seen hovering ready to strike?

That's a good call BB, I knew owls hunted by sound as well as sight but I didn't know the ear canals were off set and of different sizes.

Although there's a little damage on the other side, it does look identical, so unlikely a Barn owl, or any other owl for that matter

Hiya Roger, the lower mandible is actually missing from the skull we have but its certainly not looking like a BO skull, a little more research required but I'm back to thinking juv Common Buzzard for now, cheers

Last edited:

Comparison from interwebbie thing:-

tytoalba_s.jpg

I'm now back to thinking Barn owl as per this photo Roger, can't find a close match with any other common UK raptor.

Interesting, thanks BB (y)

I emailed the photo to a couple of people and had it confirmed its definitely a Barn owl. One chap even had one in his collection and sent me a photo for comparison, cheers
Even though you found it in an unlikely place, it could have been taken there by another bird of prey or a fox. It probably died somewhere else.

I see you got a positive ID Phil (y)

Yes, cheers Chris. Wasn't sure if it was owt you'd have any ideas on. It was a strange one, a couple of me birding mates, some with 40yrs plus experience couldn't agree what bird it was.

I think seeing it at that angle gave the impression of hawk more than owl, it certainly wasn't my first few guesses when we pick it up and don't think I ever thought Barn owl.

I think seeing it at that angle gave the impression of hawk more than owl,
TBH that would have been my first guess, due to the apparent length of the bill

When you see the likes of Springwatch and the BO chicks their beaks appear way larger than the appearance of the adults beak.

Back