Barn owl

Lovely shots, I would love the opportunity :)

Lucky you, and you have taken full advantage of the opportunity...

very nice shots any chance you can share info on lens and settings used please, I am always looking for tips

Thanks again guys
Exif data should be still there but will post settings

Nikon d700
Nikon 300mm f4 afs
Nikon 1.4tc

• ƒ/8.0

• 420.0 mm
  • 1/4000

• Flash (off, did not fire)

• Image Width - 4256
  • Image Height - 2832
  • Bits Per Sample - 8 8 8
  • Photometric Interpretation - RGB
  • Make - nikon
  • Samples Per Pixel - 3
  • X-Resolution - 402 dpi
  • Y-Resolution - 402 dpi
  • Software - Adobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
  • ISO Speed - 400
  • Compressed Bits Per Pixel - 4
  • Exposure Bias - -2/3 EV
  • Max Aperture Value - 5.7
  • Subject Distance - 20 m
  • Metering Mode - Multi-segment
  • Light Source - Cloudy
  • Custom Rendered - Normal
  • Exposure Mode - Auto
  • White Balance - Manual
  • Digital Zoom Ratio - 1
  • Focal Length (35mm format) - 420 mm
  • Scene Capture Type - Standard
  • Gain Control - Low gain up
  • Contrast - Normal
  • Saturation - Normal
  • Sharpness - Normal
  • Subject Distance Range - Unknown
  • Compression - JPEG (old-style)
  • By-line - BILLDOHERTY
  • Date Created - 2015:04:21
  • Photoshop Quality - 12
  • Photoshop Format - Standard
  • Format - image/jpeg
  • Creator - BILLDOHERTY
  • Color Mode - RGB

Last edited:
Both great shots 2nd one my favourite pin sharp and fantastic colours ,superb.:clap:

Two excellent shots although the second is perhaps a little oversaturated

stan

Both excellent but the first is something else. Exposure is spot on, lovely detail on the underside of the wings and the background sets it off well. The dive position is unusual too.

Cheers for the comments
Been down to the same location and managed to get another couple of hundred images
Birds that I could sit and observe for hours
Now stop showing off Bill:)i have been there and I know you have just got to keep going back,you also learn quite a lot when you spend all those hours watching them(not that you need to learn anything) on the dull grey days as well ,I also believe you are friends with a young apprentice I am taking around my local owl spots at the moment and that would be John Norris ...his knowledge like yours Bill on birds is amazing a very knowledgeable guy

Cheers for the comments
Been down to the same location and managed to get another couple of hundred images
Birds that I could sit and observe for hours

I've been to a site that I know of both early morning and late afternoon or evening only to find they don't always put in an appearance. But hey, that's how it goes. The bonus is like you say, just enjoy them when they do show. When they put on a hunting performance, it really is stunning to watch made even better should they fly directly towards you.

Now stop showing off Bill:)i have been there and I know you have just got to keep going back,you also learn quite a lot when you spend all those hours watching them(not that you need to learn anything) on the dull grey days as well ,I also believe you are friends with a young apprentice I am taking around my local owl spots at the moment and that would be John Norris ...his knowledge like yours Bill on birds is amazing a very knowledgeable guy

Cheers den, yes I know john. Good guy and one I certainly wouldn't want to get on the wrong side ofha ha
Think he was a big surprised on how fast the puffins come in towards you on the farnes

Yes den it's all about knowing your subject and there's no substitute for experience and time taken observing the creatures we arogantly think we know everything about is time well spent
Having been involved with the countryside for over 50 years I have, served my apprenticeship, but, we must leave that space to learn more

I've done many a day on those "grey days"
So yes, make hay while the sun shines and while the birds are there , a bD winter this year and the owls may not be there next year

Can't wait to have a day out with you den , I much prefer speaking in person, and in the old days being able to smack if they were being impudent ha ha ..it's that gypsy blood flowing through my veins

Yesterday morning I went for the owls after getting in from doing photography in Scotland and getting back in at 3 am :-(

Speak again soon den
And thanks for the comments

John also speaks very highly off you bill as well , tells me all about your books , and he's a very placid man but like you say don't cross him , I am spending a few days in Norfolk with him at the end of May looking forward to that

Back