Barn Owl

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
This was an accidental find last night as was looking for an osprey that I had heard was local to me, it's typical as spent 3 nights driving and walking around the Somerset levels on our holiday last week looking for one as never seen one in the wild before and a favourite of my wife, I had just packed up and was walking back to the car after giving up on seeing the osprey and wanted to get back to car before dark as sun had just about set and caught something out of the side of my eye which at first thought might be a Gul as loads of them around there but seen its flight pattern and realised it was the elusive to me Barn Owl, not the best and I have a lot to learn to get to the standard of others on here but I cannot explain the excitement when I seen it and managed to get some shots of it too

Barn Owl by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr

Both lovely though too central rather than crop, next time perhaps select an off centre AF point to get frame positioning "in camera" ;)

Both fantastic captures. Be interesting to see how you progress.

Lovely find and well worth going back ... put that new 500 through its paces :)

I have no issue with the central composition when the subject is facing camera. One of the few occasions it works for birds. They are a bit distant tho but sometimes that can't be helped, it's still a privilege to have seen the bird. It's also nice to see the bird in it's own natural setting, doing what it does naturally.

I think you did very well considering what looks to be low light levels. Elusive for me as well, never caught more that a fleeting glimpse of one, let alone get a photo.

Both very very nice shots, a life's ambition to capture wild Owls. Looks like you put in the leg work though and it paid off

Agree re both being good shots, but #2 for me is a very good shot, love the colour of the sky.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your comments they are all appreciated, I have to admit to forgetting everything about any thought of composition etc I was just in awe of seeing one and just kept snapping away mainly in centre just to make sure I didn't get half a bird. I'm hoping to get more time seeing this going forward and hope like most things you become more composed and think about what your doing :)

As Brash says, it's a privilege just to have seen the bird.

I think the central composition works & really like the BG colour in the sky in #2.

Now you know their area I'm sure you'll be spending a fair bit of time there.

Again thank you all so much for your comments it was such a privalage to see it, I've just used Flickr crop tool on the sky one and this looks ok on my iPad hopefully works ok

Barn Owl by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr

Hi Adam...I think repost looks great, even though it is such a big crop I think there is sufficient quality remaining to make it work.

Thank you Andy I'm still buzzing days later after the encounter something I've tried for years to see cannot wait for next one and hope the short eared owls return to a spot I know on exmoor that they were at last winter

Back