Barn Owl

Very nice Mike, great light with a lovely bg (y)

Lovely capture, Mike - great colours and eye contact, and the wing position really shows it's feather detailing :)
- if I could make one minor crit, the image does not look quite as sharp to me on the face as I would have expected?

Russ
Russ i have to say I've really stared at this after reading your comment,I'm unsure if I'm missing something you are seeing I am very interested in Mike's reply when he get's here I think the image looks fine , but am I missing something??? Really interesting Russ thanks for the above i'm not really interested in right or wrong just very curious as to the difference in your perception of the above image and mine

Mike it is a lovely image forgive me quoting Russ's post it was just so interesting to me

all the luck with them

stu

........just very curious as to the difference in your perception of the above image and mine
- Hi Stu - I don't think we have a major difference in our respective perception of Mike's fine image, but let me explain my thinking. We both know Mike always posts great images, and takes his time in pp to hone them to perfection (we have both benefited from his help in pp from time to time). I feel that this image is not as sharp on the face as I would expect from Mike - that's why I commented. It was not intended to take away any of the quality of the image but merely intended as a query (note the question mark in my post) to promote discussion/explanation as I never just "like" an image but always try to say something relevant about any image posted. It's a case of knowing the capabilities of the OP when commenting on a post - and I hold Mike in very high regard! Mike will in due course comment I'm sure.

Russ :)

Reactions: den
Russ i have to say I've really stared at this after reading your comment,I'm unsure if I'm missing something you are seeing I am very interested in Mike's reply when he get's here I think the image looks fine , but am I missing something??? Really interesting Russ thanks for the above i'm not really interested in right or wrong just very curious as to the difference in your perception of the above image and mine

Mike it is a lovely image forgive me quoting Russ's post it was just so interesting to me

all the luck with them

stu
- Hi Stu - I don't think we have a major difference in our respective perception of Mike's fine image, but let me explain my thinking. We both know Mike always posts great images, and takes his time in pp to hone them to perfection (we have both benefited from his help in pp from time to time). I feel that this image is not as sharp on the face as I would expect from Mike - that's why I commented. It was not intended to take away any of the quality of the image but merely intended as a query (note the question mark in my post) to promote discussion/explanation as I never just "like" an image but always try to say something relevant about any image posted. It's a case of knowing the capabilities of the OP when commenting on a post - and I hold Mike in very high regard! Mike will in due course comment I'm sure.

Russ :)

Cheers Lads, good to get some discussion going, far better than clicking a 'like' button

This one to me looks 'sharp' but falls short of 'tack sharp'. I did keep the sharpening down a little as I wanted to try and keep the facial feathers looking soft. I think the critical focus mayhave landed on the near wind, as that does look very sharp to my eye.

This looks acceptable for me for web use but probably wouldn't cut it for me as a large print which is a shame as I like the light, colours and wing position.

Off for another go later this week hopefully,

thanks for taking the time to discuss this

Mike

Russ cheers for the reply and explanation, as with you Mike, god it's cool to just talk to guys and learn ,thank you very much both (y) Russ you did see something I didn't, which Mike has also explained . Your perception was spot on , not in anyway does it detract from Mikes frame ,what you did here was make me look harder, mate and you have me thanks for that!!

. Mike i've been staring at way too many very similar fox images of late. Having to seriously nit pick on sharpness has been a wonderful education for me and me eye's: tack sharp for print is finally starting to mean something to me as is how difficult it is to really appraise sharpness in the small images we post here.

It's funny lads the above image is simply beautiful , it seems almost " bad form" to nit pick in a frame like this,I guess most of us would be utterly thrilled to say" I made the above". But that attention to detail is taken to such a level in wildlife image making, we need to have these conversations to learn

Mike I hope you get both some luck and also some great light to work with next visit

cheers both

stu

Back