Barn Owls

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't post much in this section but I had a bit of luck with some Barn Owls last night. Three of them were flying and a forth was calling so a lot of action. All taken with a 7Dii and Sigma 150-600mmC hand held with ISO going up to 12,800 so a bit of noise visible but I tried my best to get rid of as much as I could.

Barn Owl Hunting by Martin Billard, on Flickr

A good set Martin, first 3 stand out, very nice shots (y)

I've just done a quick edit, opened in Elements 14 and used Nik Define Add-on to reduce the noise in the bg, with a little more care it could be done a lot better :)

31578617614_866de248d5_c.jpg

Wow ! Superb set of inflight images (y)

Great to see you weren't scared of pushing the ISO, and you were rewarded with a lovely set of images. The third is my favourite and Phils clean up has given a good example of what can be achieved in post with the NR.

Mike

All great shots Martin and I particularly love that last one where it appears that the owl is going in for the kill to get its food.

Last edited:
Lovely OiF set :)

I see on Flickr taken at 600mm can you please say how much of a crop was need to get the frame filling & composition?

Thanks for all the comments

I've just done a quick edit, opened in Elements 14 and used Nik Define Add-on to reduce the noise in the bg, with a little more care it could be done a lot better :)
Thanks I might give this a go as Lightroom is a bit limited and as it is a plug in for elements I guess it will work with lightroom as well but I do have elements as well, will do some searching later.

Lovely OiF set :)

I see on Flickr taken at 600mm can you please say how much of a crop was need to get the frame filling & composition?
Some were heavy crops say 50% but the last but one was just a light trim as it was very close, this was by far the best evening I have ever had over the last 3 years of frequent visits with frame filling shots and close action with some light. They are owls after all and mostly come out as it gets dark and not always in the same spot so it is very hit and miss. I have seen them out early morning a few times when walking my dogs but this is rare.

Excellent set
I have been using a 30 day free trial of DXO optics 11 for noise reduction.I find it much better than lightroom

Phil I have downloaded the add on and it seems to work a treat so a big thanks for the advice. Looking forward to some more ISO12,800 shots in the future.

All wonderful and well done for being brave with the ISO. (y) I would never dream of pushing my Mk1 that far.

Back