Bass Rock.

Edit My Images
No
Went to Bass rock for the morning and afternoon, on Tuesday. It was a big gamble with the weather but thankfully everything turned out great and went ahead as planned.

A totally amazing experience, the largest Gannet colony on the planet, described by David Attenborough as one of the wild wonders of the world..

Upon landing it was extremley overwhelming, like the Farne islands but on a far grander scale. After a while I got to work on some of the birds, mainly short lenses used (17-40 + grad, 70-200, occasionally 300 F2.8) 5D and MkIII bodies.

Despite the Gannets being very large, they are actually very friendley and entertaining!

1 - Courtship
1.jpg

2.jpg

3 - Preening
3.jpg

4 - more courtship
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8 - A Shag practising its Kung Fu, taken whilst sitting on the edge of the Helipad on the way back to the boat.
8.jpg

Jeses I had no idea bass rock was such a unique photo op!!! WOW :D

Awesome set, you should be very proud of these. Awesome stuff.

G.

amazing set, well done
cas

That's an absolutely incredible set, I really can't even pick out favourites, they're all absolutely bind blowing:clap:! One day I'll be able to get shots that good, one day.....

Chris

wow, wow and wow again - I'd have wet myself with excitement if I got a bunch of shots like those.........:clap::clap:(y)

Fantastic photo's. 2, 5 & 6 for me.

I love them all though.

Great set but the "courtship" ones are my favourites (y)
And :LOL: at the shag pose and title (y)

nice pics-beautiful eyes on those birds:eek:

Fabulous set - couldn't pick a fav at all.

Tom

A really excellent collection of images Tim ... :clap: ... one can almost smell the bird poop from just looking at that lot they are an awesome set ... :thmubs: ... the Gannet close-ups are out of this world imhgo ... :D

:p

Just ace. Fantastic compositions, colours and quality.(y)(y)(y)(y)

Great set. I was at Bass a couple of weeks back, it really is a fantastic place.

Great light on the "beak rubbing" shot in 2 but I think I would have been tempted to clone out all the OOF airbourne gannets - they look a bit like specular highlights

Stunning series of shots

Thanks for all the great comments guys!

The Gannets are lots of fun, although smelly they're great birds.

I've got a lot of shots from the "Chumming" which was basically where they throw unwanted catch off the boat and you attempt to photograph the resulting invasion, which is more like space invaders than photography. The gannets line up and dive into the water like long skewers, amazing to watch.

Back