Beginner Bath scenery (blown sky), Please criticize

Name
Boris
Edit My Images
Yes
Apart from the highlights being blown, what else do you see wrong with this picture? All kind of comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_4743.jpg
    DSC_4743.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 100
The 1st thing for me is that the picture feels like it is sloping to the left, if you look at the bridge across the river the horizontal lines do not look horizontal.

The bales were better!

This image is a bit vague - it's one of those in which the subject seems a bit generalised, and the viewer's not completely sure where they're meant to look within the frame - the eye roams about in a way that's not very focussed or structured. I'm not saying don't take such scenes - just try to feel your way into what you put in the frame and what it means visually.

I've seen far worse skies, but the blacks here look a bit blocked-up as well. It may sound as if I'm talking technicalities, but the essence is to do with how we may feel when we're looking at images. It's psychological at root. Normally, you can get away with far more outrageous tonal extremes in black and white than you can in colour ... generally, colour is the more literal medium, whilst mono is more of an abstraction, and hence freer.

Last edited:
Thank you both for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it!

image.jpeg Nice photo other than the sky,I use filters ,polarisers and a gradient filter .i photograph around there everyday.

Reactions: ST4
Thanks but I've been taking photos of it every week as I live a stones throw away

Apart from the highlights being blown, what else do you see wrong with this picture? All kind of comments are appreciated.
What strikes me as odd is that there's a very strong sense of light and deep shade on the left and right of the picture, but none at all in the centre.
I'm not saying that's any kind of failure of technique on your part, just that maybe it wasn't a good time to press the shutter!

Back