Battery swap query, from lead to lithium

The batteryside shouldn't be an issue as long as they can supply the same amp/hour etc.
but you may need to check the charging side as litium batteries charge at a different rate to avoid overheating.
also the circuit needs to know when to cut out to prevent overheating.

Probably worth checking for the legality of the thing in the UK. Also, check that the CE mark referred to is the Conformitée Européene rather than the (possibly now defunct - but don't bet on it...) China Export one.

Probably worth checking for the legality of the thing in the UK. Also, check that the CE mark referred to is the Conformitée Européene rather than the (possibly now defunct - but don't bet on it...) China Export one.

oh they are defo NOT road legal and it will also be illegal to use them on a pavement.
personally I would just get a cheap folding bike.

They're not as much fun though or as fast ,:)

Anyway, thanks for the replies

Cheap folding bikes tend to be heavy and don't fold up as small as the more expensive ones. Ours fit into the bags but are rather cumbersome to lug about, even bagged!

The 1kW motor makes it a motor vehicle and subject to every legislative burden that comes with that designation (most important ones probably being third party insurance, vehicle registration, MOT, type approval or IVA etc.) , if using it on the road. Needs to be 250W or lower and the maximum speed under electric power (whether soley or pedal assisted) is 15mph - the motor should cut entirely above that speed.

We were in Lanzarote recently and there were quite a few places renting these out (mainly to kids and lazy brits) to zip up and down the prom.
the coppers were taking a hard line on them as they were weaving in and out quite dangerously of people.

It says in the description that it is NOT road legal so would be no good for commuting.

On the contrary , it's perfect for commuting. I can't remember the last time I saw Plod on my way to or from work, so not bothered by that.

On the contrary , it's perfect for commuting. I can't remember the last time I saw Plod on my way to or from work, so not bothered by that.

by all means give it ago but just be aware if you have an accident or incident you will not have insurance and could be really reamed in court.
don't know what the consequences would be if you were on the road and hit by a car or motorbike.
Or for that matter what if you hit a pedestrian?

quite honestly you should consider other people as well as yourself old chap.

Check the range carefully.My Dad just bought a mobility scooter and the dealer advised us that the range is a very crude estimate on flat level ground, good battery condition and a warm day, usually tested over half a mile and extrapolated from that data. He suggested 2/3rd of quoted range was nearer the truth and even less when cold and a year or so old, will it do a return trip on one charge and you'll have to charge it every night (probably), will it recharge in time overnight?
Matt

don't know what the consequences would be if you were on the road and hit by a car or motorbike.
Or for that matter what if you hit a pedestrian?

the consequences would be the same as riding a motorbike with no lights , no MOT , insurance , tax , no visible registration the list goes on

it would depend on the copper who deals with it but it could be quite an extensive list

Back