BBC 2 now Weasels

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Have a look guys wonderful stuff.............. seriously inspirational,sorry brief must dash saw a bit last night need to watch the rest;)

take care

stu

Have a look guys wonderful stuff.............. seriously inspirational,sorry brief must dash saw a bit last night need to watch the rest;)

take care

stu

Well done, Stu. (y)

I just came on to post the same. Looks a superb programme so far.

For anyone just reading this..it’s on until 8.00pm.

sorry rushing if a mod sees this in time please move to talk nature

Robert E Fuller has a Gallery in Thixendale, North Yorkshire - we were there on Friday. His paintings are fantastic - I bought his "Squirrel Nutkin" print, the detail on the squirrel's fur is remarkable! His wildlife set-up is fantastic, based on his farmhouse in a valley in the Yorkshire Wolds. Well worth a visit!

Russ

I have recorded it for watching later...... but the trailer was great!

Enjoyed the programme, somewhat misleading title though I guess “Mustelids” wouldn’t work for TV.
Not sure it’s ’scientific’ to use the great Stoffel the Honey Badger as an example since he is hand reared and spent many years (I think he’s over 20 yrs old) perfecting his use of tools in escape attempts so not exactly a novice.
For any that haven’t seen it the bbc programme is unavailable but the Houdini clip gives a taste:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0418x7x

Wasn't it fabulous, ha I love the way the mustedids talk to each other so cool!! I stuck me face in a hedge many years back ,as ya do:D and spent probably 1/4 of an hour with a family of baby weaels and mum that chatter brought it all back .

Robert's set up is somewhat sophisticated and I dare say a bit pricey to make. But incredibly inspiring for what us togs could possibly do at home. No I don't have a massive gaff in the countryside :LOL: but still really inspiring These guys are tough to make an image of for most of us, probably.......... it's wonderful seeing someone work it all out. I'm always amazed by the ingenuity of wildlife togs to nab a pic or some footage

He's a talented guy Russ cheers for the little add on it must be a cracking place to visit

I wish I'd have known it was repeated as I'd have posted with more warning, it was a shame more folks didn't see that.... maybe i player??
cheers all

Wasn't it fabulous, ha I love the way the mustedids talk to each other so cool!! I stuck me face in a hedge many years back ,as ya do:D and spent probably 1/4 of an hour with a family of baby weaels and mum that chatter brought it all back .

Robert's set up is somewhat sophisticated and I dare say a bit pricey to make. But incredibly inspiring for what us togs could possibly do at home. No I don't have a massive gaff in the countryside :LOL: but still really inspiring These guys are tough to make an image of for most of us, probably.......... it's wonderful seeing someone work it all out. I'm always amazed by the ingenuity of wildlife togs to nab a pic or some footage

He's a talented guy Russ cheers for the little add on it must be a cracking place to visit

I wish I'd have known it was repeated as I'd have posted with more warning, it was a shame more folks didn't see that.... maybe i player??
cheers all
It is on iPlayer.

Enjoyed the programme, somewhat misleading title though I guess “Mustelids” wouldn’t work for TV.
Not sure it’s ’scientific’ to use the great Stoffel the Honey Badger as an example since he is hand reared and spent many years (I think he’s over 20 yrs old) perfecting his use of tools in escape attempts so not exactly a novice.
For any that haven’t seen it the bbc programme is unavailable but the Houdini clip gives a taste:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0418x7x

Your picky:p:LOL: I'm not cynical enough am I mate I just don't see it coming lmao:LOL:

You are probably right Rich,that said I sort of liked how they tried to illustrate the intelligence. They are bright bright aniimals these mustelidea I know of a little feret called mystie whom managed to escape from a bull pen( 8 foot climb),funny thing was she didn't run off she went straight to her dad's sleeping place which wasn't simply next door but a couple of hundred yards away. It's like a carbon copy of Stoffle in miniature ,mind I was utterly besotted by her and she knew it!! Sure CB and also not terribly relevent but you can almost see how bright they are with time conveying that on film, somewhat harder I guess that honey badger gave the film makers an easy option to presented to the masses how clever this group can be ,not the easiest group of animals to make images of .

That capacity to learn is remarkable,but yeah begrudgingly you are probably right:D

I don't have i player appreciate the input Rich ,thanks muchly............ I got alot from that programme I'd guess many others would aswell

take care

Your picky:p:LOL: I'm not cynical enough am I mate I just don't see it coming lmao:LOL:

You are probably right Rich,that said I sort of liked how they tried to illustrate the intelligence. They are bright bright aniimals these mustelidea I know of a little feret called mystie whom managed to escape from a bull pen( 8 foot climb),funny thing was she didn't run off she went straight to her dad's sleeping place which wasn't simply next door but a couple of hundred yards away. It's like a carbon copy of Stoffle in miniature ,mind I was utterly besotted by her and she knew it!! Sure CB and also not terribly relevent but you can almost see how bright they are with time conveying that on film, somewhat harder I guess that honey badger gave the film makers an easy option to presented to the masses how clever this group can be ,not the easiest group of animals to make images of .

That capacity to learn is remarkable,but yeah begrudgingly you are probably right:D

I don't have i player appreciate the input Rich ,thanks muchly............ I got alot from that programme I'd guess many others would aswell

take care
I know I’m being over critical, you can’t do everything in a TV programme :oops: :$, I’m just sayin’... ;).

Great story about Mystie, thanks — they are so dog-like in some ways.

That Stoffel clip is on YouTube
View: https://youtu.be/c36UNSoJenI
though if you don’t have iPlayer maybe not YouTube either!

If you do have YouTube you’ve probably seen the innumerable Ozzy the Weasel clips such as
View: https://youtu.be/wHUFAN11Gbc

Listm https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7w_sRPEyRv98CRaFmc9kGCFUClU8PY1i .

Nah you keep just saying Rich,:) I love reading your posts, sorry bro, was pulling your leg a bit, ha, and mine actually. I get so wrapped up in the wonder of it all,I don'#t always see the big picture just the joy.

We have just got in and already watched ozzy( too cool) so can access utube although the bigger vids can be somewhat tempremental.

We were really close Rich me and that ferret she went everywhere with me as a baby, stuffed in the top of my coat front arms out and she hung inside,bless The looks I used to get from the ladies at the till, in Truro tesco priceless lmao Rich they are said to be incredibly protective as mums one is meant to stay away until the kits get older as they might get stressed by too much intrusion. Mystie had just had her first litter,I was sat in her big old pen with her playing,she got hold of my little finger. The next bit is just plain weird she took my finger,well ya follow if a ferret has her teeth on you and honestly put it in her nest with her babies and me contorted all ways in a right pickle. . I can't talk science to you buddy you know that,but it seems she now regarded me as something to look after her child...strangest thing?? So , you can see why this intelligence facet is what has grabbed me beyond the other inspirations. Sure, very very like a dog, but the average joe won't understand that incidental intelligence level it isn't far off that of canine's ...it gets more obvious when one thinks mustelids can also work as packs as hunters...well some species. She and her sister (Nym) my darling's little one used to talk to us. I'll never know what they were saying. they fed us we fed them

John I saw the foot note, I was sort of saddened for Robert sort of happy,I thought it utterly profound he reared that tiny thing what an achievement complete and utter admiration. His dream was to return to the wild and he didn't quite get there. But trying to replace as a human all the things that a mum mustelid teaches her children, can be no easy thing. He may well have a good friend now for a while and even if she didn't get back completely she'll be well cared for. Captivity racks with some of us , it does me at times, been left in tears at some of what I've seen like many I guess!! But the lad gave her a damn good chance best he could,I can see why he made that choice .

That story of Mystie and your finger -- I’m sure I’ve seen a video of exactly that (not you I guess) somewhere, maybe not a ferret but some hand reared critter. It may come back to me ... or maybe my memory has got scrambled, won’t be the first time.

You are saying you have a slow internet connection I think. It is possible to download videos from YouTube — I have done it but can’t remember at present, someone else may chime in — which may be better for longer videos.

If slow connection is problem with iPlayer then those ca definitely be downloaded rather than streamed, though maybe would just take too long.

Not me Rich , I've never made a video and put it on line, but how fascinating,ha memory is a funny thing,the story is utterly true though!! Strangest feeling she completely had hold of me ,but no breaking of skin or pain . The programme illustrated those jaws and their emense power really well................ I did what she wanted!!

Yes very slow internet, sorry I'm so vague buddy I am what I am. Net speed,so slow it's prehistoric well that's what my lad calls it. I get confused by all the mega bytes but I think its 4MB. It is very very slow Rich what ever the correct numbers are!! Things take ages to download,PSCC updates are the bane of my life lol. The price of being between two villages I guess it's a pain mate but not the end of the world:)

Not me Rich , I've never made a video and put it on line, but how fascinating,ha memory is a funny thing,the story is utterly true though!! Strangest feeling she completely had hold of me ,but no breaking of skin or pain . The programme illustrated those jaws and their emense power really well................ I did what she wanted!!

Yes very slow internet, sorry I'm so vague buddy I am what I am. Net speed,so slow it's prehistoric well that's what my lad calls it. I get confused by all the mega bytes but I think its 4MB. It is very very slow Rich what ever the correct numbers are!! Things take ages to download,PSCC updates are the bane of my life lol. The price of being between two villages I guess it's a pain mate but not the end of the world:)
One answer to slow internet for, say, iPlayer would be to use laptop/tablet to download in faster area (on public internet or shared Wi-Fi if your supplier offers it). On the other hand there are advantages to not wasting time watching YouTube :D.

I've watched it a couple of times now and its a brilliant insight into these mammals, Stoffle is THE houdini of escape artists (y)(y)

Thanks! I don’t think I’ve seen that one but it shows it may be fairly common if I’ve seen a different one and of course shows @Stuart Philpott wasn’t making it up (haha!) — I think he’ll like this video. Obviously more common with ferrets, being ‘domestic’ than weasels etc.
What is going through the ferret’s mind is another matter, maybe she’s dragging meat for the young :)

I obviously don't know,but huge thanks for sharing.....................one writes these things on the web and I often think folks just nod and smile with " yeah right" going on in their minds:LOL: . Proper little memory lane trip cheers Simon , ha, the noise they make took me right back,brilliant !!

Rich cross posting, only I'm a tiny bit slow as you already know. ;) :D Ha ha loved the video, just read your post,I'll leave what I've already written to Simon, in place !!

Thing is nature is so bewildering I really don't need to make stuff up never have, never will...good init;) Often as I'm writing though I'm musing how odd it might seem to another. AT times, if I'm honest, I can't believe what's happening, so one can spare a thought for the reader.

Now all I have to do is convince meself that the next hare or roe is going to bumble over to see me , or maybe not Maybe it's just better being like a kid wide eyed and full of wonder ,I don't half cherish these moments Rich. I don't really expect others to understand or believe .

Re the hypothisis as to what the hell is going on in her head god I'd love to really KNOW ................... if she thinks I'm her food why so gentle?? Rich,I'd looooooove to know ,naturally we never will: can only speculate. All the science in the world can't tap into this what she really thought of me or that guy in the video. I'm sentimental take pics more for the experience of being with a beastie than an image, let alone my thoughts on a 7 year relationship if a little fluffy thing with amazing teeth that fed me and my family when times were very very hard. We lived pretty much off our hedges and woods for a while,there was no money for food So I'm not terribly objective.although I do try to be. I'm perplexed by the sheer intelligence of mustelids,it comes with predators and bino vision sure,but a ferret's head isn't really a big big space for a brain a weasel's is minute,clever guys Rich .

Mate, beyond domestication of our ferret , I think really think there is a tie in with the age a mustelid is removed from mum and reared by a human and how it regards us for the rest of it's life,Trying not to be sentimental that's probably on an individual level,ie musty and the specific person that reared it. just due to how damn bright they are. not withstanding their sense of smell

So no I can't say I wasn't food can't prove it ,but that's the thing isn't it I don't really need to.... it was just lovely

OK then if ya want science:D : finger is same shape as her kids, finger is same smell she has always known, a simple mistake that will be repeated in similar sets of conditions,ie one that could be scientifically replicated . Finger represents baby out of nest :,mum mustelid has a set of instincts instilled that make her put a baby out of nest in a nest.......the sentimental stuff is better though huh:LOL:

We have to understand our subjects best we can Rich, be it as a tog or carer there is little difference, so I think I know the whys.just cold hard thought out stuff,but nonetheless there is a beauty to it all that can so easily be missed . I can't not cherish that

So ..... no, not food ...... QED or near enough?? You are a tough cookie mate, your gonna say no LMAO ................ but ll I had a go huh:D You'll find it tough to convince me I'm not far off the mark though ;)

cheers both

I think, for what it's worth, you are part of the family and she's telling you to do your share of the rearing. It also occurs to me that, to her, you are the hand with a vague, warm, cuddly thing attached.

Last edited:
Back