BBC

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm surprised there is not a thread already after last nights amazing TV on the Beeb.

Started with Dynasties what a chimp that David was, he's the Clint Eastwood of the chimp world, or should I say was.

Then finish off with They shall not grow old. A stunning digital remaster of the old WWI films, narrated by veterans, literally brought to life by Peter Jackson and his team. When it switched from the old B&W films to the digital remasters my jaw literally dropped. A fitting tribute to the 100th anniversary of the end of the war, which was supposed to end all wars.

Last edited:
We watched the "They shall not grow old" and it was indeed a staggering insight into the lives & deaths of those who fought in The Great War.

IMO it should be shown to all secondary school children (in a properly contextualised lesson) and also what about once a year on the BBC as a timely reminder of the sacrifice those men & boys made at that time.

We must learn and think about that lesson in/of history........to shape our response to the times of conflict that may/will arise in future ~ we forget that lesson at our peril!

I watched Dynasties.
Seeing David's injuries, (sliced open nut sack...wtf?)....I was well chuffed to see him prevail.

Then finish off with They shall not grow old. A stunning digital remaster of the old WWI films, narrated by veterans, literally brought to life by Peter Jackson and his team. When it switched from the old B&W films to the digital remasters my jaw literally dropped. A fitting tribute to the 100th anniversary of the end of the war, which was supposed to end all wars.

I'd been waiting for this to come on, we had guests so I had to record it and watch it later. I found it very moving and the scenes depicting dead soldiers we'd previously seen alive particularly so. Mrs WW found it too distressing and had to leave the room.

I think it was excellent work and will make the footage more accessible and meaningful to future generations, truly compelling viewing.

IMO it should be shown to all secondary school children (in a properly contextualised lesson) and also what about once a year on the BBC as a timely reminder of the sacrifice those men & boys made at that time.

We must learn and think about that lesson in/of history........to shape our response to the times of conflict that may/will arise in future ~ we forget that lesson at our peril!

Every high/secondary school in the country received a copy before the 11th. Included teaching notes.

Every high/secondary school in the country received a copy before the 11th. Included teaching notes.

Excellent, I hope it is used as part of a curriculum teaching program to ensure continued education :)

Interesting program, seemed a little slow and dry when it started in b&w but when the colourised footage started...

I agree that secondary school pupils should see that ... but so should all current and future politicians just as a reminder that when they send our armed forces into combat they are playing foot loose and fancy free with real peoples lives.

Sorry, I'll dismount my hobby horse now.

Back