BBC2-tonight..The Fens

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
On BBC2 at 9.00pm is a Nature programme called ‘The Fens. A Year in the Wild.‘ The write-up is very good. It mentions the arrival of whooper swans, cuckoos,boxing hares..(Stu..your favourites)..A farmer who helps declining farm-bird species. Wild ponies from Poland graze and Asian water buffalo in the water meadows all to help restore the ‘wider Fens’ to their former glory. Harvest mice, marsh harriers, barn owls and the first European crane born in the UK since the reign of Elizabeth 1.

Sounds wonderful and it’s an hour long.

Last edited:
On BBC2 at 9.00pm is a Nature programme called ‘The Fens. A Year in the Wild.‘ The write-up is very good. It mentions the arrival of whooper swans, cuckoos,boxing hares..
(Stu..your favourites)..A farmer who helps declining farm-bird species. Wild ponies from Poland graze and Asian water buffalo in the water meadows all to help restore the ‘wider Fens’ to their former glory. Harvest mice, marsh harriers, barn owls and the first European crane born in the UK since the reign of Elizabeth 1.

Sounds wonderful and it’s an hour long.
Thanks for the heads up, won't be watching tonight but i'll catch it later on iPlayer

On BBC2 at 9.00pm is a Nature programme called ‘The Fens. A Year in the Wild.‘ The write-up is very good. It mentions the arrival of whooper swans, cuckoos,boxing hares..(Stu..your favourites)..A farmer who helps declining farm-bird species. Wild ponies from Poland graze and Asian water buffalo in the water meadows all to help restore the ‘wider Fens’ to their former glory. Harvest mice, marsh harriers, barn owls and the first European crane born in the UK since the reign of Elizabeth 1. Sounds wonderful and it’s an hour long.
- Thanks John, I'll give it a view :)
P.S - there was a similar titled one about Yorkshire wildlife recently which was very good!

Russ

I think the first in the series was the Pembrokeshire coast, very enjoyable and reminded me to get back to Skomer. I don’t know much about the Fens so I will record tonight’s episode. I have always been a nature lover, but during the lockdown my I have found my interest has increased.

Dont watch it for the scenery, there ain't any

I think the first in the series was the Pembrokeshire coast, very enjoyable and reminded me to get back to Skomer. I don’t know much about the Fens so I will record tonight’s episode. I have always been a nature lover, but during the lockdown my I have found my interest has increased.

The Pembrokeshire coast is on our to do list and for me the porpoises and dolphins. It’s only a 3 hour journey and we’ll stay there for a week. Must check out Skomer too but I think that’s an overnight stay and not 4-star accommodation..lol.

The Pembrokeshire coast is on our to do list and for me the porpoises and dolphins. It’s only a 3 hour journey and we’ll stay there for a week. Must check out Skomer too but I think that’s an overnight stay and not 4-star accommodation..lol.

You can stay on Skomer but you need to book well in advance and as you say it is quite basic. I suggest you stay somewhere nearby on the mainland and catch the boat across. In peak times you need to queue and get up early although some accommodation places will queue for you, which I recommend. The other problem is the weather which can stop to boat from crossing. Whatever the hassle it is well worth when you get there. For dolphins and porpoises try a boat trip from New Quay.

You can stay on Skomer but you need to book well in advance and as you say it is quite basic. I suggest you stay somewhere nearby on the mainland and catch the boat across. In peak times you need to queue and get up early although some accommodation places will queue for you, which I recommend. The other problem is the weather which can stop to boat from crossing. Whatever the hassle it is well worth when you get there. For dolphins and porpoises try a boat trip from New Quay.

Thanks for that. The return boat trip sounds favourite, I‘m retired now and whilst back in the day I’ve experienced less than ideal conditions..beeen on a month’s Outward Bound course including three days in the mountains..we prefer our comforts now.. We almost went to New Quay..I’d found out about the dolphins/porpoises there.. but we couldn’t find good accommodation..I’m sure there must be. We think we’ll go to a self-catering cottage nearby. Not tied to time then. Of course,all up in there air re the virus. Looks like most have lost a year of their lives..of course too many have actually lost their lives so I’m not grumbling.

Back