Be that one sheep that does not follow the crowd.

1st one for me.

The backlighting is much more of a feature.

I'd be tempted to take a smidge off the bottom and a bit more off the top for a similar ratio to 2

Thanks guys.

I had to wind down the saturation a bit in 2. Controlling the sun (to some extent) meant a very fast shutter speed bringing out lots of colour. The first one looks pretty good in mono.

The first one looks pretty good in mono.

I did wonder about that.

PS

I know I'm always badgering you for locations but what's the hill in number 2 - far distance 1/3rd in from the left ?

Not 100% sure Phil - could be the cats back in Strathpeffer - it's looking over Beauly direction (North west from the battlefield)

The first is more interesting for me. Backlighting makes the sheep stand out and makes the photo. If you wanted to crop you could lose the one and a half sheep and the cloud on the right.

They're both lovely shots, the first being my favourite compositionally.
I think though that I'd take down the saturation just a tad in that one too.

2nd for me, better colour and more detail in the sheep, plus being head-on ... the only thing I don't like in images like these is the cut-off bodies of some of the sheep at the edge, I would clone them out :)

Both lovely images and I agree with the suggestion to crop the first into more of a letterbox shape - it will accentuate that all the sheep are heading in the same direction which will give the shot purpose.

Second for me, I prefer the head on aspect and the bit of extra detail in the sheep. Like the reduced saturation too. The haloing on some of the sheep from the backlighting in the first is a little distracting.

I'd crop the second a little at the left to remove the half sheep too

Last edited:
Back