Beach Peach

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
No
I'm not totally convinced with this shot so let's here your views. Back from holiday yesterday and processed this last night as I was a little torn at the time of taking it. You see, I would normally have bounced some light back via a reflector but I didn't have one. I also didn't have an OCF - though that's a last resort anyway - so decided to bracket the shot to blend them together afterwards. I guess the sparkle isn't quite there on the face for me, or am I being ultra picky? Either way, I quite like it for the family album.

Peachy Beach by Kris Price, on Flickr

As you asked for comments...

It's a nice shot. Lovely background and pose so I can see why you are trying to do what you're doing.

However, there's quite bad haloing (sp?) on her right arm. I realise the sun was out, but there's a yellow colour cast on her skin in places (neck, under her nose, edge of lips and right thigh). Top of her forehead looks a little blotchy, and the skin tones on her face are slightly pinker in the middle part of her face (above lips to mid forehead). The last bit may be due to catching the sun I guess.

All this is meant to be helpful, not having a dig.

Must say that I didn't actually do any serious facial processing with this other than a few spots. She had burnt her face during the holiday and it didn't look too bad to me but I will have another look with fresh eyes in the week.

There shouldn't be a halo just spillage from the sun, it was so strong and with the white pebbles it was quite an extreme exposure blend. There was another slight issue there so I'm sure there's no halo on the full res version but will double check that too, have been processing photos most of today, eyes are shot!

Thanks for your comments Ian.

Edit: Nope, you're right! I kinda rushed this as I made a hash of it last night with the blend. The processing has accentuated the sun spillage which isn't right and the face is a bit blotchy!

Last edited:
Have you tried a mono version and remove a touch of the left hand side, I think that could work especially with the dark eyes and the stripped t shirt,just my opinion .

Ditto on the previous comment! Would like to see it in b/w, great photo though!

Yeah I'd consider b&w too. Looks unnatural with all of the oranges, blues, reds competing for attention.

Still a lovely shot.

I did download this and do a B&W conversion, it does look a lot better

Nice pose and I love the oof BG too

Les

Such a lovely, natural pose!
Would love to see the black and white version (y)

And so by popular demand:

Kefalonia-373-BW%20Edit_zpsrb5qjyqn.jpg

Opted for a retro look in the end and a small amount of grain which may not be to everyone's taste. I'm not sure the tones are really there to convince me for a good mono, personally like the warmth of the colour version.

Mono loses all the magic of the light that you had IMO

magic of the light would have been half an hour or so later in the day. ;) It's somewhat overburned and distinguishing lines on her face is hard.

magic of the light would have been half an hour or so later in the day. ;) It's somewhat overburned and distinguishing lines on her face is hard.

Yup! This was a family snap and realised it wasn't in ideal conditions. We had been driving all day and sunset was still an hour away, by this time she was getting grouchy so there was definitely no time for hanging around for the perfect shot :) It's always about the light!

Back