bear watching in Finland

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I'm planning to go next year in June to stay two nights in two locations the Martinselkosen
and borealis hides

I've not done anything like this before but it sounds great should see lots of bears and hopefully get some good pictures
Has anyone been before how difficult is it to photograph them is there enough light to get decent pictures ?
I don't have a gimbal head but am I right in assuming that as it's in a hide a bean bag will be better anyway?
Am going in the summer in June so apparently it's light 24 hours at that time will be staying overnight in the hides, am going to spend 4 nights hope I can keep awake:D
Apparently the bears are normally 10 to 30 metres away
I'm planning on taking my 300 F2.8 and 70-200 F4 lenses on 7D mk 1 and 2
I also have 1.4 and 2.0 converters

Last edited:
I've been to Martinselkosen twice, once in summer and just after Easter this year. If you're going June there will be enough light. You go into the hide at about 5pm and are let out about 7am. You are a long way north, so you're in the land of the midnight sun. I found a gimbal head very useful as it allows for smooth tracking of moving bears and is going to be better than a bean bag. Most of the pics I took were with a 500mm lens, on a EOS 1Dmk2n, so with a 300mm and extenders on a 7d mk2 you should be fine

I've been to Martinselkosen twice, once in summer and just after Easter this year. If you're going June there will be enough light. You go into the hide at about 5pm and are let out about 7am. You are a long way north, so you're in the land of the midnight sun. I found a gimbal head very useful as it allows for smooth tracking of moving bears and is going to be better than a bean bag. Most of the pics I took were with a 500mm lens, on a EOS 1Dmk2n, so with a 300mm and extenders on a 7d mk2 you should be fine
Thanks Simon sounds like June will be perfect:) I was just concerned that as it's in a forest it may be a bit dark
I will look into a gimbal , did you clamp it to the hide window or use a tripod?

Ive also been in the summer, and planning to go back in the spring for snow.. It can be quite tiring, especially if you go looking for owls during the day.. One thing you must be aware of is the mosquitos.. They are absolutely savage so take protection.
Not all the hides had been bags in so be aware of that. Don't do what I did and drop your 300 out the front of the hide..:eek: No lip on the opening so be careful..
When I was there, the bottle water in the hides was never checked or replaced with fresh stuff.! The food is excellent, as is the accommodation. Riina is lovely and very helpful.
Your gear will be fine, but late on the the light isn't ideal, so you may struggle with your 7d.? You may have some good opportunities with a wide angle too.? See if you can go in the suicide hide.??

Hope this helps

A few from my trip - https://flic.kr/s/aHskguv6nw

Ive also been in the summer, and planning to go back in the spring for snow.. It can be quite tiring, especially if you go looking for owls during the day.. One thing you must be aware of is the mosquitos.. They are absolutely savage so take protection.
Not all the hides had been bags in so be aware of that. Don't do what I did and drop your 300 out the front of the hide..:eek: No lip on the opening so be careful..
When I was there, the bottle water in the hides was never checked or replaced with fresh stuff.! The food is excellent, as is the accommodation. Riina is lovely and very helpful.
Your gear will be fine, but late on the the light isn't ideal, so you may struggle with your 7d.? You may have some good opportunities with a wide angle too.? See if you can go in the suicide hide.??

Hope this helps

A few from my trip - https://flic.kr/s/aHskguv6nw
Thanks:) Jason I did wonder about the Mosquitos I'll have to take lots of jungle formula
Sounds a nightmare with your lens hope it wasn't broken
I was wondering about the light I'm guessing I may struggle to get shots when the light is low if the bears are moving
I have found that with my 300 I can go quite low on the shutter speed if the animal isn't moving
Good idea about a wide angle didn't think of that
I'm planning on traveling with naturetrek as we have used them before and they were brilliant I'll have to find out which hides they use
Just had a look at your photos of the bears they are wonderful I'll be pleased if mine are half as good

Thanks Simon sounds like June will be perfect:) I was just concerned that as it's in a forest it may be a bit dark
I will look into a gimbal , did you clamp it to the hide window or use a tripod?

There was no room for a tripod; I took a tripod head and the first time was able to screw that to the ledge of the hide, they provided the appropriate screw. The second time there were more options, you could screw to the ledge or you could fasten to a metal base which you could then move around on the ledge.

some pics

https://www.facebook.com/simon.ward...10155655040608455.1073741855.641373454&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...133568455.1073741850.641373454&type=3&theater

Last edited:
There was no room for a tripod; I took a tripod head and the first time was able to screw that to the ledge of the hide, they provided the appropriate screw. The second time there were more options, you could screw to the ledge or you could fasten to a metal base which you could then move around on the ledge.

some pics

https://www.facebook.com/simon.ward...10155655040608455.1073741855.641373454&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...133568455.1073741850.641373454&type=3&theater
Wonderful shots Simon looks. Like it's an amazing place
So if I got a gimbal head I wouldn't need to bring anything else they provide a screw attachment?

Wonderful shots Simon looks. Like it's an amazing place
So if I got a gimbal head I wouldn't need to bring anything else they provide a screw attachment?

A gimbal head on its own would be fine in the hide; Not taking a tripod saves on luggage weight!. I used a ball head and a wimberly sidekick to convert the the ball head into a gimbal mount.

A monopod might useful for other photography outside the hide, like trying to photograph squirrels and birds in the Lodge's grounds

A gimbal head on its own would be fine in the hide; Not taking a tripod saves on luggage weight!. I used a ball head and a wimberly sidekick to convert the the ball head into a gimbal mount.

A monopod might useful for other photography outside the hide, like trying to photograph squirrels and birds in the Lodge's grounds
Thanks Simon :)

I've been to Martinselkosen, a few years ago. Definitely check which hides are being offered - they have a large main hide in the forest that is used for the bulk of general 'bear watching' then a series of much smaller photographers' hides at a mix of different locations. Unless you organise otherwise I can't see the Naturetrek standard package being anything but the main hide. For the best photos you really need to be in the photo hides.

I don't know what they're saying, but this Norwegian programme where they visited Martinselkosen gives a decent look at what the experience is like (skip past the bits when they cover other stories).
https://tv.nrk.no/serie/ut-i-naturen/DVNA60000514/23-09-2014

Other comments:
- I'm not sure what is driving your schedule but I'd be tempted to three nights instead of two; they have hides at three locations (forest, swamp and lake) so with two nights you'll miss one.
- In June, the sun does go below the horizon for a couple of hours. I found myself switching to taking video during that period (I had a 7D, 500 F4, 70-200 f2.8)
- The mossie are somewhat annoying when you're walking to/from the hides but we never had any issues in the hides. However the afternoon when I went with a local guide to photography some red throated divers I got bitten to death (mostly on the scalp...)
- As commented you can't use a tripod in the hides, but unless bag weight is an issue I'd take one. There can be the chance to pay the local guides to take you off to other sightings (usually owls).
- The main hide has a 'proper' toilet-in-a-cubical but the photography hides is a camping toilet (one upgrade level above a bucket). So in the weeks before you go, get your digestive system in to the routine of midday bowel movements...
- Martinselkosen wouldn't be that hard to book direct.

Last edited:
I've been to Martinselkosen, a few years ago. Definitely check which hides are being offered - they have a large main hide in the forest that is used for the bulk of general 'bear watching' then a series of much smaller photographers' hides at a mix of different locations. Unless you organise otherwise I can't see the Naturetrek standard package being anything but the main hide. For the best photos you really need to be in the photo hides.

I don't know what they're saving, but this Norwegian programme where they visited Martinselkosen gives a decent look at what the experience is like (skip past the bits when they cover other stories).
https://tv.nrk.no/serie/ut-i-naturen/DVNA60000514/23-09-2014

Other comments:
- I'm not sure what is driving your schedule but I'd be tempted to three nights instead of two; they have hides at three locations (forest, swamp and lake) so with two nights you'll miss one.
- In June, the sun does go below the horizon for a couple of hours. I found myself switching to taking video during that period (I had a 7D, 500 F4, 70-200 f2.8)
- The mossie are somewhat annoying when you're walking to/from the hides but we never had any issues in the hides. However the afternoon when I went with a local guide to photography some red throated divers I got bitten to death (mostly on the scalp...)
- As commented you can't use a tripod in the hides, but unless bag weight is an issue I'd take one. There can be the chance to pay the local guides to take you off to other sightings (usually owls).
- The main hide has a 'proper' toilet-in-a-cubical but the photography hides is a camping toilet (one upgrade level above a bucket). So in the weeks before you go, get your digestive system in to the routine of midday bowel movements...
- Martinselkosen wouldn't be that hard to book direct.

Thanks very much Paul a lot to think about there
The naturetrek tour is for one and a half nights I have already asked them to extend it to two and ill ask them if I can stay in the photo hides
I am hoping to make it four nights I've just got to persuade my wife to stay for 4 nights

Video sounds an excellent idea I will make sure that I take plenty of memory cards

Can you remember which lens you used the most ?
just curious what sort of distance the bears were from the hide

Last edited:
If you can leave the wife at home and you're not set on this year, you could do a lot worse than use these guys (like I did).

Back