weekly .

Match
A great action shot. I feel it's a little bright (it was obvious a nice sunny day) I think it could do with reducing the exposure a bit.

Roger

Shadow, interesting take on the theme, nice warm colours add to the images.

Low, great veiwpoint for low, background adds to the image.

Match of the cricket kind, batsman is no match for the bowler. I feel it could do with some more contrast and / or dropping the exposure a bit. Focus on the batman is good. Tells a story.

Pete

Hi Roger,
Musical - Great shot. The contrasty, gritty processing really suits it.
The sort of scene I remember from watching the mid afternoon bands down at Angel Farm down in Kent (when it was on the south coast).

Hard (tail) - Well I get it :) never ridden a Harley one, but my kid brother had some *cough* road legal *cough* heap cobbled together out of various different makes which had a hardtail and was *interesting* to ride.
It looks like you've gone for TS processing, but you can't have because if it were processing, some of the OOF areas would be sharp. So that must be extreme shallow DoF done really well to get that effect. :clap:

Nice shots Roger. I like the grainy look of your shot for musical. As someone that shots film I really like to see images with that sort of look. I like your crop of the bike for hard, it just works. I like your choice of DoF used too to help the bike stand out. Good work on both images

I your take on on creatures, light, processing, spot on!.

Where was the Derelict photo taken? it's a great find and well captured.

Love the starburst on bright Roger. Was surprised you got it at only f8; is that something special to the LX100? When I tried it I needed f16 to make it work. good shot:)

Home is beautifully lit Roger, the light flare reminds me of smoky rooms.

Can a motorbike be elegant??:D:LOL: The paint damage on the posts distracts the eye a bit though; some cloning perhaps.

Home, I really like this one, nice lighting and b+w works very well. I do like the inclusion of the walking stick, but also wonder how it would be with out it, though the 2 would go together I imagine.

Elegant, Nice bike that, I like the building as a back drop too. Perhaps a little too low on the angle. Missing corner of the top of the building is a little distracting.

Roger

Music
Nice retro style image of a pair of old rockers, processing works well.

Hard
Those OOF people breaking the skyline does impair the Image, maybe taking it from further to the left so the carpark was behind the bike would solve that problem and give a more simple background. Nice detailed captured on the bike.

Creatures
Sepia tone helps with the retro feel to the Image, as does those Net Curtains and woodchip wallpaper. he he.

Derelict.
Nuked from Orbit by the looks of it, even appears to be another nuclear explosion top right.

Rural.

Nothing wrong with the sky, other colours look a bit muted. Noticed on exif, that speed was 1/1600 and iso 400 and auto WB. does that camera do raw?

Bright, Very

Home
Looks much better on Flickr, good setup.

Elegant
First glance thought it was a Honda, must be the luggage rack on the back. Nice reflection on the tank. Not the best background but it does fit the theme for bikers.

Pete

Hi Roger, that's a great image for Derelict. It looks like a really photogenic location and the high POV gives a strong lead in line to the mess of derelict buildings at the end, and the sunset/rise light and tones add texture to the structure and balance to the overall image.
Rural looks a little bit muted, especially in the foreground details, but it certainly suggests a rural location and the sky is lovely.
Bright is another cracker with the bright starburst of light in the sky reflected in the sand. Good patterns and textures in the beach, too.
Home - excellent idea with nice light and it really suits B&W (y)
Elegant - lovely old bike. The background is a wee bit distracting for me but the bike would be a great subject for a re-shoot.

Well done on your catch-up and I hope I can do as well :)

Well done for putting the effort in with catching up and commenting “derelict” looks quite an amazing place a great image for the theme though the horizon is slightly off, love the light in “creatures” “rural” looks slightly underexposed I’m a bit of a fan of pathways have been known to take quite a few myself.
Again great light in “home” and an excellent idea well thought out. The Norton shot BG a bit distracting but that is indeed a proper motorcycle.

Excellent light in home and has a really "homely" feel to it.

It is an elegant bike but I find the background draws my eye

What a brilliant idea for Home, remind me of the song. Imagewise, nice use of black and white and maybe a bit more space to the left of the walking stick.

Nice classic and Elegant motorbike. (I'm a
1wmdnZb.gif
too ) The background is quite distracting with columns, windows etc.

Derelict
Lovely photo, it's got all the elements and is exposed well.

Derelict is a super shot.
Elegant - I think i prefer the original crop rather than the later one but agree those posts need repainting.
Rural looks a tad flat to me. Nothing wrong with it but feels its lacking some punchyness (is that even a word).
Love the home shot. Great b+w. Nicely composed.
Creatures - Nice idea on the theme. Great nostalgic processing.

Hi Roger,

Creature(s) - Lovely light in that shot. Very golden hour and it does make you stop and look at it carefully.

Derelict - Absolutely fab shot. The range of light, the sun glinting off the sea, the pier(?) selling the derelict state, yet oddly the building look cared for. It makes you wonder, doesn't it. :clap:

Rural - Hmm, not liking the effect on this one. It feels like a half hearted corss processing effect has been applied. Sorry.

Bright - Damn difficult these sun shots aren't they. I feel youo may have carried this off better than my locomotive one for this theme. I think the reflections in the water help.

Home - Excellently executed and bang on for the theme. I'll have to think of something else now!

Elegant - Are they megaphones fitted there? I think the re-edit is an improvement, removing the chipped paint removes distractions, and the tighter crop is better too imo.

Synthetic - Err. I'm not sure what it is, but I do like it. Though I'd like to see the flame a little brighter perhaps.

ETA - What does Pete mean calling the Commando a Honda !!! Sacrilege.

BG is a bit of a pity but I am sure there was nothing much you could do certainly a clash of cultures there though

Not sure the blurring in the second version works to be honest, it makes it look toy like.
Surely the Vespa should be on it's side at a minimum, if not burning!!!
Other critique - It's a bit tight to the edges.

I prefer the blurred background, works for me. We can't always control the light or the backgrounds, especially shooting the weekly but if you could it might have been better shot from the other side. It's a good juxtaposition though and works for the theme.

I prefer the blurred background, works for me. We can't always control the light or the backgrounds, especially shooting the weekly but if you could it might have been better shot from the other side. It's a good juxtaposition though and works for the theme.
Unfortunately the other side had a horrible road! Thanks for the comments Chris

Last edited:
Great shot for round

Round
As the other others have said, I most definitely does work.
Great colours, a nice clear moon and a simple background.

Interesting utensil holder maybe a move to the right as the net curtain edge is a bit of a distraction

Roger

Round, a cracking shot, colours are vibrant and the sky is nice and clean, both moon and ballon are sharp and well positioned.

Cook - not as good as last weeks, Background could be better. Light is very bright on left hand side of the cook, maybe using a reflector to lighten the right hand side a bit would help.

Pete

I tend to agree with the above, it is going to be hard to retain the detail in the deep balck face but softer light migh help.

Back