Bearded Tits

Very nice particularly like the pose on the last one, makes a change to see one not hanging from something :)

Super

Lovely photos.i am yet to be able to get an image of one these birds.
- thanks Peter, this was the first time for me :)
That's a beauty! Thanks for sharing :)
- They are great to watch - thank you :)
Very nice particularly like the pose on the last one, makes a change to see one not hanging from something :)
- Many thanks Mick - comments appreciated :)
I agree. Nice also to see a female of the species.
- she was more elusive on the day - thanks John :)
Beautiful birds.
Nice shots.
- Many thanks Robert
A cracking set Russ
- really appreciate your comment Kev :)
- Thanks Jeff - I enjoyed the time spent watching them :)

Russ

Bloody lovely Russ, another of those birds i've never seen and always longed to see let alone photograph,

fab set well done you:cool: .

stu

ps sorry Russ hit the wrong bllummin smiley(funny as) I wasn't mean to be laughing although I do alot, hence reason for edit to change that to sommit more appropriate.

Last edited:
Bloody lovely Russ, another of those birds i've never seen and always longed to see let alone photograph, fab set well done you:cool: . stu
ps sorry Russ hit the wrong bllummin smiley(funny as) I wasn't mean to be laughing although I do alot, hence reason for edit to change that to sommit more appropriate.
- Hi Stu - thanks for kind response, as always :)
- these gorgeous birds were a pleasure to photograph as they kept darting around, and popping up unexpectedly. It's my first ever shots of them, so now that I've found a good spot I'll be back :)

Russ

- no problem; the lens is a Canon 300 f/2.8 mk2, and the extender is a Canon x1.4 mk3 - a combo that is permanently on my new 1dx mk2. Hope this helps :)

Russ

Thanks , I been using that combination on my 5Dmklll , I am struggling to get sharp results with it particularly wide open , and getting better results with the 2x extender , which I am quite sure should be the other way round , think I am going to have to dive in and play with the focus settings ...which I don`t really want too .

Thanks , I been using that combination on my 5Dmklll , I am struggling to get sharp results with it particularly wide open , and getting better results with the 2x extender , which I am quite sure should be the other way round , think I am going to have to dive in and play with the focus settings ...which I don`t really want too .
- have you tried stopping down the aperture to, say, f/8 to get sharper results? I think, unless your lens combo is faulty, the results with a x1.4 must be better than with a x2. A lens of the quality of your 300f/2.8 should not need microadjustment I believe.

Russ

- have you tried stopping down the aperture to, say, f/8 to get sharper results? I think, unless your lens combo is faulty, the results with a x1.4 must be better than with a x2. A lens of the quality of your 300f/2.8 should not need microadjustment I believe.

Russ

It will only be the 1.4 perhaps that`s faulty , as I get good results from the 2x , was hoping to get sharp images wide open to keep the iso lower and shutter speed higher , perhaps I expect to much wide open . :thinking:

- are you sure that both extenders are Mk3 types?

Russ

Russ ! My heart was in my mouth when you asked that , as that`s what I ordered but never really took much notice of it and just used it :runaway:. Anyway I checked and yes they both mklll`s . I recently got the mkll 1-400 , and used the 1.4 with it on my 7D mkll and the results were superb , I have not tried it yet with the 300 on the 7D so it`s probably worth trying it out , that would confirm my 5D mklll is back or front focusing if it`s sharp on the 7D would you agree ? Sorry to go off track of your lovely bird pics .

I recently got the mkll 1-400 , and used the 1.4 with it on my 7D mkll and the results were superb , I have not tried it yet with the 300 on the 7D so it`s probably worth trying it out , that would confirm my 5D mklll is back or front focusing if it`s sharp on the 7D would you agree ?
- that sounds like a good plan :)

Russ

Russ me olde Mark and I have been talking for eons we both have a fluffy ear complex:LOL: Thanks for being such a good sport and helping him along lovely of ya!! I might be kind but i'm not terribly gifted it's lovely seeing someone like you give him some tips

stu

Russ me olde Mark and I have been talking for eons we both have a fluffy ear complex:LOL: Thanks for being such a good sport and helping him along lovely of ya!! I might be kind but i'm not terribly gifted it's lovely seeing someone like you give him some tips. stu
Hi Stu
I now get the connection!! I knew that Lepus is a hare, but didn't know Mark's real name - so I never connected him to you and your love of hares.
Older, but wiser now! I do hope Mark resolves his focus issue soon :)

Russ

We both adore them mate we haven't met but ya know how it is. It's funny Russ by the time I get here I'm so shattered even I didn't know who he was when he first posted ,I knew i'd want to talk to him and learn stuff though, Lepus is enough huh;)

Oh Russ he will:)............... and back to topic. I'm still really jealous of this set of images. Mate was there grit involved,it's that time of year when the diet shifts although i've never seen a beardy places where there is grit might narrow chances of at least a sighting,especially now it seems. They are a bird we have both wanted to see for so long now

ta again

Stu, I found this place near the confluence of the rivers Trent and Great Ouse in North Lincolnshire. It was created in recent years by draining the low liying land to form a wildlife reserve known as Alkborough Flats. There are extensive reedbeds, and on the day I visited the sun shone and the air was still - ideal conditions to spot these beauties irrupting from the reeds. The site has grit-covered paths between the reedbeds, so I guess the birds are taking the grit to aid their change of diet. Next year I'll get there earlier in the day if I can to observe this behaviour.:)

Russ

Cracking set Russ ! I've to just Sussed out who you are even tho we are friends on FB from muddy boots cafe

Cracking set Russ ! I've to just Sussed out who you are even tho we are friends on FB from muddy boots cafe

Back