Beautiful Little Wasp

Edit My Images
Yes
Thought this one deserved a thread all his own. Its a Ruby Tailed Wasp and the first one i have ever seen. All with the MPe-65 and MT24ex Twin Flash from x2.5 to x4 life size.

Link 1000pix
3514018250_699f8548fa.jpg

Link 1000pix
3514230267_2ec8c0f0b1.jpg

Link 1000pix
3514278363_c77b61a408.jpg

Link 1000pix
3515087352_2a5c2704cd.jpg

Link 1000pix
3515087542_8996ab0f2c.jpg

One you don't see often enough Alistair, great colours and stunning photography to boot :clap:

Have you put down some sugarwater on those leaves?

Last edited by a moderator:
Loverly shots (y) - the weathers that crap here even the blue bottles have disappeared.

i will buy that lens one day, as already said, great creature and photo :)

Stunning shots.
Never seen one of these - didnt even know they existed!
Really stunning lil bug stunningly captured (y)

That's really beautiful. I had a loft full of the usual type that had to be exterminated, but these i would have kept!

Is it a solitary wasp?

Excellent work - The colours are amazing!...(y)

Lovely capture there, like others have said, never even knew these things existed until now.

Well done.

Chris.

Definite confirmed records of this species have occurred in Northamptonshire in 1947, and north Devon from 1979 to 1985, and again in 1989 (2). An old record has been reported for Woking in Surrey, but this has not been confirmed, and the host wasp is not found in this area (2). this is a very rare wasp can you let us know area you spotted the wasp.

Lots are saying wonderful colours BUT I have to say the photos are good BUT the colours are much too saturated and do not look real if its meant to be natural history shot then it should be looking genuine.
Just my view on it Still good photos and nice and sharp well done
What is your technique ?

Definite confirmed records of this species have occurred in Northamptonshire in 1947, and north Devon from 1979 to 1985, and again in 1989 (2). An old record has been reported for Woking in Surrey, but this has not been confirmed, and the host wasp is not found in this area (2). this is a very rare wasp can you let us know area you spotted the wasp.

Interesting information, these were shot at Spechley Park Gardens in Worcestershire. I have so far spotted 2 of these on the same area of brick wall in the gardens within a few days of each other.

Lots are saying wonderful colours BUT I have to say the photos are good BUT the colours are much too saturated and do not look real if its meant to be natural history shot then it should be looking genuine.
Just my view on it Still good photos and nice and sharp well done
What is your technique ?

Hi Chaz, the colours are richer and more vibrant than they would be in natural light because they were shot with flash. They have had no bump in saturation during PP and are virtually straight from camera. These guys are amazingly hyperactive and rare apparently and i feel lucky just to have got some shots of one :)

Do you mean technique in taking my images?

Last edited:
awesome
never seen one of these before
it almost looks like it's been mounted, metalically coated and scanned with an microscope.
great stuff, great colours, great detail

Stunning shots Allie....have tried photographing these a few times but they just won't play ball. Must try harder :LOL: And that's not counting the ones I never even got the camera near!

They're not rare....if anything I think they are as common as solitary wasps get but that's based on my own observations than any research. They're usually in general insect and wildlife books too which suggests they are not a rare sight....but it is very rare to see such cracking shots of them :)

They're not rare....if anything I think they are as common as solitary wasps get but that's based on my own observations than any research. They're usually in general insect and wildlife books too which suggests they are not a rare sight....but it is very rare to see such cracking shots of them :)

after asking about them I googled them to find out more. They are considered rare in Britain, and vulnerable because they are so host specific, and their host isn't doing so well. http://www.arkive.org/ruby-tailed-wasp/chrysis-pseudobrevitarsis/facts-and-status.html

If you see a lot of them you are fortunate to be in one of the areas where there host is still about.

Top class images as always. (Get these ones published ;))
I have never seen one of these before and Im quite delighted that you shared your images, what stunning insects they are

Funny thing is my daughter has been learning all about wasps this week at school, she was given wasps to concentrate on as they were each instructed to study a diferent insect.
Now on helping her with her research we have not found one of Ruby tailed wasp photograph that is even a 10th as good as yours - so seriously you should think of seeing if you can sell these.

wish you'd stop post such good photos with that lens. I'm trying very hard not to sell my 24-105 and buy the mp-e 65mm :crying:

I have one of these as a pet, and a flea circus...:)

Seriously stunning pics, well impressed (and educated!)

Stunning series perfect lighting, love the colour of these wasps
Pete

Thank you all very much indeed for the kind words, it is very much apprecited :)

Back