Beautiful Wings On Beautiful Demoiselle

RedRobin

Dances With Dogs
Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought my Canon EOS-R last autumn specifically as a second body to mostly live on my Canon Macro lens to be holstered ready for a fast draw when allowed to get up close and personal with a minibeast - I usually try and get one in the bag with my Canon 100-400mm L II + 1DX-2. This is the first opportunity I have had to target and fire in anger with the mirrorless EOS-R + Canon EF 100mm Macro + 1.4x combo. Handheld and Manual Focus with the mirrorless EOS-R's MF visual aids really helping!

BEAUTIFUL DEMOISELLE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

More info on Flickr

Last edited:
Beautiful, the details and colour are spectacular. Still not seen any of these this year up my way.

.... Thanks Ryan :)

This was my first Demoiselle seen this season - A very good start! In my 1.5 acre wilderness 'BackYard' too.

I bought my Canon EOS-R last autumn specifically as a second body to mostly live on my Canon Macro lens to be holstered ready for a fast draw when allowed to get up close and personal with a minibeast - I usually try and get one in the bag with my Canon 100-400mm L II + 1DX-2. This is the first opportunity I have had to target and fire in anger with the mirrorless EOS-R + Canon EF 100mm Macro combo.

More info on Flickr

Wow! Simply superb.

Cracking detail Robin (y)

I bought my Canon EOS-R last autumn specifically as a second body to mostly live on my Canon Macro lens to be holstered ready for a fast draw when allowed to get up close and personal with a minibeast - I usually try and get one in the bag with my Canon 100-400mm L II + 1DX-2. This is the first opportunity I have had to target and fire in anger with the mirrorless EOS-R + Canon EF 100mm Macro + 1.4x combo. Handheld and Manual Focus with the mirrorless EOS-R's MF visual aids really helping!

More info on Flickr

Breathtaking capture! (y)

It's a bit soft................Not, lol. Incredible detail and colours, top job Robin.

Do you use the focus stacking that comes with it?

.... No, I never have. Should I look into doing so on the EOS-R?

I'm assuming that any focus stacking feature requires a tripod? Sometimes I use a tripod, sometimes (mostly) I don't.

.... No, I never have. Should I look into doing so on the EOS-R?

I'm assuming that any focus stacking feature requires a tripod? Sometimes I use a tripod, sometimes (mostly) I don't.
IIRC it does have that feature - you don't need a tripod to stack. Some people do lots of stacks without one. I got this by supporting the camera on a wall - with your more modern camera I could have got a lot more photos in that time and should be a lot easier.

Flystack2 by davholla2002, on Flickr
Here is a link
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Cameras/Canon-Focus-Bracketing.aspx

I would love to know how you get on.

IIRC it does have that feature - you don't need a tripod to stack. Some people do lots of stacks without one. I got this by supporting the camera on a wall - with your more modern camera I could have got a lot more photos in that time and should be a lot easier.

Here is a link

.... Many Thanks for that link, David - Much appreciated. I'll report accordingly in due course.

Here is a link

.... Many Thanks for that link, David - Much appreciated. I'll report accordingly in due course.

.... Hmm, having now read that link about the feature a few times and I highly rate what Digital-Picture have to say about everything camera related, I do not think focus stacking is for me. It's just too many images and too much work in post and although I always shoot RAW and post-process (in CaptureOne and ON1 via Photoshop plugins) I prefer to control and get what I want in camera when shooting. I am not unhappy with the results I already get (when I do nail a shot!).

.... Hmm, having now read that link about the feature a few times and I highly rate what Digital-Picture have to say about everything camera related, I do not think focus stacking is for me. It's just too many images and too much work in post and although I always shoot RAW and post-process (in CaptureOne and ON1 via Photoshop plugins) I prefer to control and get what I want in camera when shooting. I am not unhappy with the results I already get (when I do nail a shot!).
It is not that much work, all you do is put the images in a directory and leave them to stack while you do something else, go give it a go.

It is not that much work, all you do is put the images in a directory and leave them to stack while you do something else, go give it a go.

.... Thanks for being so helpful, David - It's much appreciated.

However, unless on a tripod, even the extra work in capturing a series of images to stack in post-processing doesn't appeal to me. Most of my wildlife shots which might benefit from a deeper DoF are handheld. I know you can still create stackable images when handheld but what can I say? < Stacking just doesn't appeal, just as using flash doesn't appeal to me.

Only seen one this year,and it stayed still for a millisecond !
That's a stunning image,very very nice.

Clive.

Lovely image, I've never seen one.

Is it the R, the RP, or both that capture stacked images? Thanks.

Really nice Robin caught the wing details perfectly
One of my favourite Damselflies though we get the bandeds locally

More info on Flickr
Very nice!
I've not manage to photograph a demoiselle for nearly 10 years, and none of those I did shoot had that lovely wing colouring - my male beautiful had wings the same colour as his body. My all time favorite however was a female banded demoiselle I don't know why but her metallic green colour looked even more spectacular than the males blues!

Very nice!
I've not manage to photograph a demoiselle for nearly 10 years, and none of those I did shoot had that lovely wing colouring - my male beautiful had wings the same colour as his body. My all time favorite however was a female banded demoiselle I don't know why but her metallic green colour looked even more spectacular than the males blues!

.... You probably already know that the female Banded Demoiselle and Beautiful Demoiselle can be difficult to differentiate - The wing colour differences are subtle and the light can play tricks. Add to this the appearance of a freshly emerged female!

.... You probably already know that the female Banded Demoiselle and Beautiful Demoiselle can be difficult to differentiate - The wing colour differences are subtle and the light can play tricks. Add to this the appearance of a freshly emerged female!
They are indeed difficult to tell appart, the best evidence I found was the nature of the males keeping her company ;)
We saw both banded & beautifuls on that day but they tended to be in separate bunches along the river.

I've not knowingly seen a freshly emerged one, but I've photographed dragonflies that I've been told where juvenillies, with paler colouring. If the same is true of the demoiselles then this one wouldn't have been freshly emerged.

BTW you're photo looks even more stunning on my works PC, perhaps just down to the bigger screen, but I'm glad I got a second look. :D

Back