weekly Bebop's 52 2021 - Week 52: Showcase

#1 for me. It must be the exposure, but it's really hard to put my finger on why.
Thank you. It is the exact same picture just with the exposure raised. I thought everyone would want it lighter to be honest, but I think the darker one really shows the texture and details more. I'm glad it wasn't only me that preferred it. I hope it ticks the fill the frame - just about ;)

Half
I think you're right, the first version is better. The slightly darker look shows more texture.

Week 9: Reflection and Technique, Low Key

I am trying to produce new shots where I can, so I have been mucking about with my flash, a snoot and a mirror and the only model I could find, who to be honest is a bit past it :ROFLMAO:

20210310-BCR_4157_1_week9-1.jpg

And here is a better image which I think fits the technique and theme taken in January at the WWT in Arundel.

20201017-BC546895_1_DxO_DxO_2000_week9.jpg

#1 Great minds think alike eh Bee? (y)
Which IMO fits the theme much better.
The swan although a nice image is far too light to fit the theme IMO.

#1 Great minds think alike eh Bee? (y)
Which IMO fits the theme much better.
The swan although a nice image is far too light to fit the theme IMO.
Ha ha! I haven't looked yet - but it doesn't surprise me. I had planned to photograph my daughter, but she was busy and whilst I was waiting, I had a practice and a 'that will do' moment :D

Works really well on both counts. Again, I like the light on the hands that seems to give the image more depth.

The camera image although a bit confusing at first trying to work out which parts of you are on the left and bottom does fit the theme very well

Reflection
As with cobra's image, the low key lighting makes this work.

Works really well on both counts. Again, I like the light on the hands that seems to give the image more depth.
Thanks Helen
The camera image although a bit confusing at first trying to work out which parts of you are on the left and bottom does fit the theme very well
I often find myself trying to work out bits of a photo that aren't the main subject too :) I had some where the hand at the bottom was more obvious, but it's surprising how many attempts it took to get the right bit lit - standing in the right place and at the right angle etc. Now you mention it I probably should have used one with a better hand underneath.
Reflection
As with cobra's image, the low key lighting makes this work.
Thanks Dominic.
Perfect for the theme Beebop, it is really nicely done but I think I prefer it without the extra reflection at the bottom.
Thanks Susie. Do you mean my hand underneath? I did consider darkening it down so it was almost obscure. I had some with better hands in and some with no hand underneath, and quite a few that were completely unusable :ROFLMAO:

Thanks Susie. Do you mean my hand underneath? I did consider darkening it down so it was almost obscure. I had some with better hands in and some with no hand underneath, and quite a few that were completely unusable :ROFLMAO:

Yes it was that one, I find sometimes I’ve got so many to choose from I totally lose the plot and just take pot luck that I’ve picked the best :)
It is a super photo.

Rough
Straight in with an early submission.
Nicely caught, it's not easy with a unpredictable moving subject.

Rough
Straight in with an early submission.
Nicely caught, it's not easy with a unpredictable moving subject.
Thank you. It's a first for me to be so quick! Just lucky I was out today.

I was trying longer exposures and the recycle bin is pretty full now :LOL: This was 1/50s.

Very nice early entry! You've caught the action well and it very much implies a rough ocean. You can almost feel the spray!

As for reflection, that's a huge chunk of glass! It looks like your knuckles are white just holding it all up! Certainly a reflection though!

Very nice early entry! You've caught the action well and it very much implies a rough ocean. You can almost feel the spray!

As for reflection, that's a huge chunk of glass! It looks like your knuckles are white just holding it all up! Certainly a reflection though!
Thank you. I did have to wash my lens down a few times this morning.
Yes it's quite a hefty lump.
A good image for Rough. Well done!
Thanks Paul :)
Well done ....what a lucky thing we had such rough weather, you captured the action really well, I like that a lot.
I was a wimp, I’ll hopefully venture out tomorrow
Thanks. I did get cold hands by the end and I got caught in the rain and hail. Nice to get out though.

I didn't realise the theme this week was 'crazy guy in a storm'. They do that on the coast near me, must be mad. Good quick-shot.

Straight in the bag. Well done. It certainly looks rough and I would have been there but for lockdown (I'm only 10 miles as the crow flies but still a bit too far... ). Sadly in the last storms a kite-surfer was found dead on the beach at Walberswick - it looks fun but it can be very dangerous. Hats off to them..

Hi @Bebop

The selfie ... I love the idea of this, but there is something not quite right, I've been puzzled, thinking you are trying too hard to hide behind the camera. I've just realised what's a bit odd here: you are left-eyed. ;)

Rough ... is a beaut. Well done for capturing that, liking the frozen spray, you must be chuffed. :cool:

Blimey, that was quick!
That certainly looks rough to me Bee.

Straight in the bag. Well done. It certainly looks rough and I would have been there but for lockdown (I'm only 10 miles as the crow flies but still a bit too far... ). Sadly in the last storms a kite-surfer was found dead on the beach at Walberswick - it looks fun but it can be very dangerous. Hats off to them..
Thanks Helen. It was a gnarly day and without doubt it is a dangerous sport. That is very sad to hear about the fatality. I wonder what went wrong? My OH is a keen kitesurfer so I have a lot of photos. I don't worry about him too much at the local beach but I do if we're away somewhere more remote.
No great pics of him yesterday, but here is with the rough sea.
2021031111-21-35BC130023_1_week10.jpg

I didn't realise the theme this week was 'crazy guy in a storm'. They do that on the coast near me, must be mad. Good quick-shot.
Thanks. Yes there were a few crazy guys (and gals) out there yesterday, including my OH - pic above :)
Love the beautiful swan image but imo you put the best one in the main thread.
Rough is a very nice shot too, looked breezy.
Thanks Dave. It was a tad breezy :ROFLMAO:
Hi @Bebop

The selfie ... I love the idea of this, but there is something not quite right, I've been puzzled, thinking you are trying too hard to hide behind the camera. I've just realised what's a bit odd here: you are left-eyed. ;)

Rough ... is a beaut. Well done for capturing that, liking the frozen spray, you must be chuffed. :cool:
I'm afraid I am right eyed! I wish I'd had the forethought to open my other eye like others have in their similar images. Not sure what is odd - perhaps it's just my face :LOL:
I was trying very hard to stand in the right spot so that the light was centred on the front of my lens, but also still get the plane of focus right for the reflection to be sharp.
Thank you anyway for popping in :)
Blimey, that was quick!
That certainly looks rough to me Bee.
Thanks - yes it's very unlike me to post before the 6th day :LOL: It takes the pressure off for the week now :)

Thanks Helen. It was a gnarly day and without doubt it is a dangerous sport. That is very sad to hear about the fatality. I wonder what went wrong?
Apparently the coroner hasn't been able establish a cause. He was a very experienced instructor in his early 50's so it's a bit of an oddity!

nice image for Rough, I think I prefer the second one ypu've posted though to be honest, it seems to give a bit more of a sense of scale to those huge waves. Nice job

Love that image for rough @Bebop - perfect sheet speed and nicely done to get the surfer sharp, but movement everywhere else. Very nice!
Many thanks. It is very tricky especially since they're often at an angle.
nice image for Rough, I think I prefer the second one ypu've posted though to be honest, it seems to give a bit more of a sense of scale to those huge waves. Nice job
The second probably shows the rough sea more, but it's a very easy shot and he's not facing me. (I only took it because it's my husband :ROFLMAO: )
Apparently the coroner hasn't been able establish a cause. He was a very experienced instructor in his early 50's so it's a bit of an oddity!
Things can go wrong. A man died at our local beach a couple of years ago when he hit the cliffs - the wind can get very iffy around the cliffs. Years ago they used to tether the board to themselves, like surfers do, but then they learned it would catapult out of the water like a missile. My husband got a cut head through his helmet - I think he wouldn't be here if it wasn't for his helmet. He doesn't wear one now but his board is not tethered either.

The silk background adds to it IMO. A good combination of shoehorned smooth + actual smooth.

The composition works (for me) and I like the contrast between the egg and the background.

(y)

Good combination of 2 smooth objects nicely lit I assume you have been playing with your new toys

The silk background adds to it IMO. A good combination of shoehorned smooth + actual smooth.

The composition works (for me) and I like the contrast between the egg and the background.

(y)
Thanks Ian. It turns out I took quite a few where the silk wasn't quite right or I'd just missed enough depth of focus - should have gone for f/16!!
Good combination of 2 smooth objects nicely lit I assume you have been playing with your new toys
Thanks Allan - it had to be done :D This was photographed on the ironing board which I've realised is a better height to work at. Ironing having been the first idea, but didn't work out.
Very nice image Bebop, both are smooth with some very smooth lighting :cool:
Thanks Dave. I think a whole new world has opened up for both of us with our new toys :)

Good work. As has been mentioned above, the silk background works well with the theme too.
I particularly like the colours in the egg against the white background.

Back