weekly Bebop's 52 2021 - Week 52: Showcase

Well.... I'm awaiting Week 1's theme :LOL: I'm ready......

haha, you didn't bother with Nearby then?

Good luck, looking forward to your images

I didn't realise you were on the Isle (guessed from squiggle being red, then checked).
Did you go ride on the last day of your 80 year old tube trains before they were withdrawn this week?
Very shallow DoF there. Nice having a decent sized garden to get shots like this :)

I didn't realise you were on the Isle (guessed from squiggle being red, then checked).
Did you go ride on the last day of your 80 year old tube trains before they were withdrawn this week?
Very shallow DoF there. Nice having a decent sized garden to get shots like this :)
I did see that we had a new train recently, but it hadn't occurred to me there was a historic interest in the old one - I would have gone along to take a pic. Funnily enough the Chairman of our local camera club had a connection with trains in London so I know he has followed developments. Not sure who he used to work for. I believe our train service is one of the most timely in the UK :LOL:

I think this pic is probably f/8 - my 100-400 at 400 with the 1.4 extender on. I do have a big garden, but that means they can be far away. Occasionally they come right up to the patio windows, and the only time I've been in the right place at the right time with camera in hand, I had my focus limiter set to distant :banghead:

Fantastic! You're so lucky to have Red Squirrels near you. I'm glad that you posted this, thank you ;)

but it hadn't occurred to me there was a historic interest in the old one
The Isle was the one place in the UK where you could get off the "Main Line" railway and get onto a heritage train pulled by a steam loco younger than the train you'd just got off of.

The tube trains were 1938 stock. The IoWSR has to Ivatt steam locos dating from the mid 1950s (along with some older ones).

</anorak mode off>

I must admit I laughed out loud when I saw your first submission, excellent.
Then you posted this stunning little fella, I am so jealous. I had hoped to see some on my travels when I was allowed to escape last year but never did and you have them in your garden.
I think I would set my own hide up in the garden if I had them visiting my garden.
Fab start for 2021.

Fantastic! You're so lucky to have Red Squirrels near you. I'm glad that you posted this, thank you ;)
Thanks Jim. Every day I do think to myself that I am so lucky, especially in these strange times. My garden is not as wild looking as I would like for photography, but I love watching the birds and squirrels. We have 3 regular squirrels visit, and I filmed 5 in the summer - probably kittens.

The Isle was the one place in the UK where you could get off the "Main Line" railway and get onto a heritage train pulled by a steam loco younger than the train you'd just got off of.

The tube trains were 1938 stock. The IoWSR has to Ivatt steam locos dating from the mid 1950s (along with some older ones).

</anorak mode off>
Well I wish I'd known that before. Kicking myself now. Interesting that the heritage ones (presumably at Havenstreet) are younger. I would never have guessed.
Are there other old tube trains being used elsewhere?

We need anoraks ;)

I must admit I laughed out loud when I saw your first submission, excellent.
Then you posted this stunning little fella, I am so jealous. I had hoped to see some on my travels when I was allowed to escape last year but never did and you have them in your garden.
I think I would set my own hide up in the garden if I had them visiting my garden.
Fab start for 2021.
:LOL: Preparation is everything....

Thanks Heather. I just happened to have taken this pic this week, so it's easy to add it in.

I have thought about getting my own hide. I have an ugly fence which needs disguising. I experimented with setting the camera up near the food and using my phone app to trigger it, but it won't work through glass. I suppose I could try an open window now I think about it, perhaps when the weather is warmer!

If I didn't have a cat I would feed them nearer the house. She's quite old so I doubt she could catch one, but I have seen her chase them and wouldn't want to lure them in. In some places on the island they are quite tame.

That’s wonderful you can kind of see what it’s thinking....Oh **** I could have sworn I left it here :D

Hi @Bebop

That's super shallow, love it. Those few blades of grass. He's got his mouthful too! :clap:

only grey squirrels near me the red ones are so much prettier, great start to the year.

That’s wonderful you can kind of see what it’s thinking....Oh **** I could have sworn I left it here :D
It reminds me of the haka dance :ROFLMAO: and thank you for your kind comment
Your week off went as well as mine...

Absolutely fantastic pose for your squirrel! Brilliant picture!
Thanks. It seems we can't tear ourselves away :)

Hi @Bebop

That's super shallow, love it. Those few blades of grass. He's got his mouthful too! :clap:
Thank you. It is surprisingly shallow, but perhaps there is a bit of a slope there that makes it look narrower than it is. I just checked, it is at f/8 and 560mm on a full frame camera.
He's ready to bury his hazelnut - ground must have been a bit hard!

Love it.

We have a pair of squirrels that chase each other around our garden - although I did witness them seeing off a couple of other interlopers the other day. But ours are grey.

They're still cute, but I'd love to see a proper red close up.
Thank you. We've had two chasing each other and apparently they will be mating around now. We tend to see either the two together or one other on it's own. I can waste a lot of time watching them :)

only grey squirrels near me the red ones are so much prettier, great start to the year.
Thanks @minx - you have a lovely profile pic ;) Looks like you managed to get quite close!

What a great image of the beautiful Red, wish we all had them.
Thanks Dave. They are definitely cute. I have hundreds of photos of them, but rarely anything worthwhile. The frost made a good backdrop on this morning.

Last edited:
Thanks @minx - you have a lovely profile pic ;) Looks like you managed to get quite close!

That was in the café garden on Brownsea Island a child had dropped some popcorn and that little feller made the most of it

That was in the café garden on Brownsea Island a child had dropped some popcorn and that little feller made the most of it
That's interesting. I'm surprised they'd go for popcorn. They only get boring old carrots, nuts and seeds with me :)

Thank you. It is surprisingly shallow, but perhaps there is a bit of a slope there that makes it look narrower than it is. I just checked, it is at f/8 and 560mm on a full frame camera.
Yes, now you mention it! your lawn's not level. ;)

Well I wish I'd known that before. Kicking myself now. Interesting that the heritage ones (presumably at Havenstreet) are younger. I would never have guessed.
Are there other old tube trains being used elsewhere?
Oldest tubes are on the Bakerloo, there are some 1972 stock remaining (not many though I believe).
The *new* ones coming to the Isle are 1978 stock, ex of the District Line - but with a complete refurbishment including wifi and usb phone charging and toilets. Probably some of the better units on the network to be honest.

Oldest tubes are on the Bakerloo, there are some 1972 stock remaining (not many though I believe).
The *new* ones coming to the Isle are 1978 stock, ex of the District Line - but with a complete refurbishment including wifi and usb phone charging and toilets. Probably some of the better units on the network to be honest.
Wow so ours really were old then... and we're still going to have some of the oldest in the country.... befitting of the sleepy IOW :) I do wish I'd paid more attention now. I thought the excitement was just about the logistics of getting them across on the ferry.

Ooooooh a red Squiggle! VERY nice!

Great capture Bebop, looks like he (she?) can't decide whether to run or charge.

A great shot to start. The expression and stance you captured is fantastic.

Nice squirrel Bebop, lucky to have the red ones where you are.
I like the dof you have used and the compostion also works well in this case.

Pete

How lovely to have a red squirrel in your garden, especially one posing so perfectly, a super start
Ooooooh a red Squiggle! VERY nice!
Great capture Bebop, looks like he (she?) can't decide whether to run or charge.
Cracking shot Bebop. What a great start!
A great shot to start. The expression and stance you captured is fantastic.
Nice squirrel Bebop, lucky to have the red ones where you are.
I like the dof you have used and the compostion also works well in this case.

Pete
Thank you all so much for the kind comments. It appears it's all going downhill already as I haven't checked in here in days! Hopefully will catch up with all of your images soon!

Week 1: Fruit

Well I haven't got off to a great start. I had some ideas, but sadly have been too lazy not had time to execute them. One day I will work on my imaginative fruit image.

In the meantime here is one I took about a year ago that I have re-edited today which has been interesting - using Affinity instead of Photoshop. So it has been a worthwhile learning process even if it isn't a new image. It is not really what life is at the moment in lockdown - a bowl of cherries, or perhaps several.

In the meantime I have a fridge full of fruit I need to eat :LOL:

WEEK1-life.jpg

Very inventive and well executed.

Very good indeed. (y)

I guess they were shot individually then lined up (?)

Loving the stalks on the cherries.

Loving the frame ... I don't normally 'do' frames.

Back