weekly Bebop's 52 2021 - Week 52: Showcase

Nice one.. and perhaps something we should be thinking possible at the moment.

WOW, WOW, WOW I love it, the clarity, colours, simplicity. Talk about eye catching, a massive thumbs up from me.

Nicely presented and taken Bee (y)

I like what you have done there it it is clean a simple.

That's excellent :clap:

Just to echo what everyone else has said, good work, bang on theme (y)

Splendid and very clever.
I have to say I like that.
Well you have certainly ended up with a really eye catching shot, I really like that a lot.
Fruit
I like it, good letterbox crop too.
Good image, nice crop, original idea - what's not to like.
Very inventive and well executed.
Nice one.. and perhaps something we should be thinking possible at the moment.
WOW, WOW, WOW I love it, the clarity, colours, simplicity. Talk about eye catching, a massive thumbs up from me.
That's a cracking shot for fruit Bebop, love it and clever too.
Nicely presented and taken Bee (y)
I like what you have done there it it is clean a simple.
Nice idea
That's excellent :clap:
Just to echo what everyone else has said, good work, bang on theme (y)
I love everything about this shot! Great idea, very creative and the colour contrasts are perfect!

Thank you all so much for your kind comments. It is heartening on two counts - one that it received a very tepid response at my camera club - but then the dishes were much further apart and perhaps that left the cherries a bit small. The other thing is that last night I was marked down twice by a competition judge for photo shopping things where I hadn't. So thank you all for making me feel better! :giggle:

Yep very good, very saleable too
Really? I did think of printing it big and putting it in my kitchen but my OH didn't appear taken with the idea. Thank you for the positive comment.

Yup, I like that too bebop. The frame does suit the image, with it being colour matched.
How did you find Affinity? (I only use it for limited purposes)
Thanks so much TIm. Yes I picked the colour from a cherry (cherrypicker?!) - 'i' in Affinity. The more I use it, the more I like it. I think there are better ways of adding a frame than my method. I just eyeballed it all.

I've just started a digital painting course and this has forced me to get to grips with Affinity more.
There are some useful resources which have been a godsend such as this... https://resources.serif.com/spotlight/learning/shortcuts/Affinity-Photo-Shortcuts-Mac.pdf (or there's similar for Windows)

Very good indeed. (y)

I guess they were shot individually then lined up (?)

Loving the stalks on the cherries.

Loving the frame ... I don't normally 'do' frames.
Thank you so much. Yes, it's the same bowl in each shot using window light and then positioned in Affinity. I'm glad you like the stalks - I wasn't sure whether to pull them off, but I did carefully position them :D

I'm not normally a frame person either but I felt it needed it to bring it all together. Next time I do a frame I will do it better - I used a roundabout method and the positioning was manual. It's a while since I've tried something like this.

... received a very tepid response at my camera club - but then the dishes were much further apart and perhaps that left the cherries a bit small. The other thing is that last night I was marked down twice by a competition judge for photo shopping things where I hadn't.

Judges... There must be a better way. I'm so close to pulling out of camera club competitions.

Thank you all so much for your kind comments. It is heartening on two counts - one that it received a very tepid response at my camera club - but then the dishes were much further apart and perhaps that left the cherries a bit small. The other thing is that last night I was marked down twice by a competition judge for photo shopping things where I hadn't. So thank you all for making me feel better! :giggle:

That's why I steer clear of camera clubs. My SIL started getting interested in photography, joined her local club and almost gave up completely after her first meeting. Thankfully she just left the club and carried on.

@HelenC @Boots yes at the end of the day I do this for my own pleasure, so I'm not sure why I put myself through it. Mostly I take what they say with a pinch of salt these days. I do feel I've learnt a lot from listening to them judge - all photos, not just mine, but it is annoying when they think you have manipulated something and you haven't. Oh well, onward and upward!

Week 2: Dirty

I grabbed these beetroot from the garden to make a soup. Unfortunately I'd already started washing them before realising they'd make a good DIRTY subject. So, perhaps we'll have soup tomorrow instead...

Using off camera flash and a snoot with a grid on it - first time for me. I can now see why studio lights with a modelling lamp can make life so much easier!

20210116-BCR_3215_1_week2.jpg

Thats very good, and the lights fine, highlights just enough of the subject matter

Great lighting, the snoot is an accessory I’ve considered for a while, maybe I should just get one to experiment with.

Your fruit is great - very crisp, very bright and colourful, and very imaginative! Very nice!

Dirty is lovely as well - great use of lighting. The snoot has brought out the beetroot beautifully.

I like the lighting of the beetroot, it brings out the colours and textures really well. Nicely composed too.

Nice lighting, nice DoF & sharp in all the right places.
That's going to be hard to beet ( :coat: )

I had to look up snoot which illustrates how much I know about lighting. Very subtle but brings out the lovely detail in the root. A really nice image.

Dirty
Good light and subject. I agree with you about studio lights, they'll be my next purchase.

Great lighting, the snoot is an accessory I’ve considered for a while, maybe I should just get one to experiment with.
I bought a box of flash gadgets at The Photography Show a couple of years ago for about £20 and have barely used them. This was the first time I'd tried the snoot and grid. I think there will be more to come in this 52 from it.

Your fruit is great - very crisp, very bright and colourful, and very imaginative! Very nice!

Dirty is lovely as well - great use of lighting. The snoot has brought out the beetroot beautifully.
Thanks @Shugpug - I was pleased that I managed to get something similar to what was in my head.

I like the lighting of the beetroot, it brings out the colours and textures really well. Nicely composed too.
Thanks Pete. I played about with moving them around, but getting the light to fall in the right place was harder than I expected.

Very nicely lit beetroot, very subtle.
Thanks Clive :)

Nice lighting, nice DoF & sharp in all the right places.
That's going to be hard to beet ( :coat: )
Ha ha! I bet you had to root around to think of that :oops: :$ :coat: Thanks @Cobra :)

Great lighting Bebop, very nicely taken.
Thanks Dave

I had to look up snoot which illustrates how much I know about lighting. Very subtle but brings out the lovely detail in the root. A really nice image.
I'm still on the first page Helen, but I was happy to end up with something similar to what I envisaged.

A snoot & grid are both on my wish list (now that I have 1 studio light added to be speedlights).
You've used them very effectively to light the beetroot like that :)
There is a lot of 'stuff' needed for this lighting business isn't there? As mentioned above, I bought a box of flash gadgets a few years ago and this was in there. I've barely used them, but I think in this instance it did what I needed and would have been difficult without it. So I'm finally getting my money's worth :D

Dirty
Good light and subject. I agree with you about studio lights, they'll be my next purchase.
Gosh I thought you must have them already as you have done some beautifully lit images. I am very tempted.

Lovely ...the snooted light really brings it alive. :cool:

I like this picture, don't know why, just do. (y)

Love it! Great lighting and subject, those colours are really nice. I also think the DoF is just right.

The lighting makes that shot for me, really like that.

This challenge already had me reaching for my wallet for a flash unit, this has only brought the inevitable closer.

P.S. How was the soup? :)

I like the subdued lighting. It's on theme and it's a nice photo too. I wonder what it woiuld have looked like with the subject just a bit lower and right'er in the frame...?

Back