weekly Bebop's 52 2021 - Week 52: Showcase

The lighting makes that shot for me, really like that.

This challenge already had me reaching for my wallet for a flash unit, this has only brought the inevitable closer.

P.S. How was the soup? :)
Thanks. I used my cheaper (and 2nd hand) Yongnuo flash with a Yongnuo trigger and it works just fine. I also have a Canon flash that cost about 6 times as much but does the same job - so you don't have to jump into the more expensive echelons straight away - I just didn't know any different at the time, otherwise I'd have saved some money.
I'd give the soup 7/10 I added carrots and it was nice but a bit sweet

20210120-BCR_3508_1_week2.jpg

I like the subdued lighting. It's on theme and it's a nice photo too. I wonder what it woiuld have looked like with the subject just a bit lower and right'er in the frame...?
Hmm yes quite possibly better ha ha! I did fiddle around a bit with the composition and also the height of my camera, but then it was a fiddle trying to get the light on target again. I think perhaps a higher viewpoint might have been better. I tried that with the completed soup.... as you do when locked down :giggle:
Great colour, detail and DoF. Lit really well too.
Thanks David.
Super shot Beebop, ticks all the boxes for me ....lighting is spot on too.
Thanks Susie.

Dirty - nice still life well lit, could be an ad for organic veg

Week 3: Stone/Rock

One of my regular walks is up to The Longstone which I now know, is what remains of a 6,000 year old neolithic barrow for burying the dead. Looking at my photos and the one on the link below, I'm thinking I should take a plumb line up with me next time :ROFLMAO:

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/mottistone-estate/features/the-long-stone-at-mottistone

Bit of a record shot really... I think someone has left an offering of flowers....

20210124-BC126622_1_week3.jpg

and side view, just for info...

20210124-BC126628_week3.jpg

and just to show the scale - this cyclist kindly ran a trail through the frost as I was taking pictures a couple of weeks ago. Annoying that he didn't keep to the track.

20210110-BC124363_1_week3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice simple composition, interesting back story to the stone and nice to see the contrast of grass and blue sky.

I agree with the others above, simple composition but shows The Longstone off in all it's glory. (y)

Three interesting images. The one you went with is good... but the one with the cyclist....

I much prefer the one with the cyclist. The fact that it was taken a couple of weeks before the category came out I don't think is important. Definitely show the scale; that is a big rock.

Nice simple composition, interesting back story to the stone and nice to see the contrast of grass and blue sky.
Thank you. I'd have liked some snow really :D
I agree with the others above, simple composition but shows The Longstone off in all it's glory. (y)
Thanks Iain.
Three interesting images. The one you went with is good... but the one with the cyclist....
Yes, I think it's more interesting too. I have one that I think is better than any of these taken at the same time as the cyclist one, but I didn't feel it was in the spirit of the 52.
I much prefer the one with the cyclist. The fact that it was taken a couple of weeks before the category came out I don't think is important. Definitely show the scale; that is a big rock.
I agree it's a more interesting shot, but as I mentioned above, I didn't feel it was in the spirit of the 52 to choose it as 'the' one. I was cursing him at the time for ruining my frosty foreground, but now I wish I'd been quicker thinking and got him in a better place. I did think about switching around the order of the pics :LOL:

Personally think your main image would benefit from a wider shot to capture the full surrounding circle. Really like the atmosphere in the earlier cyclist image

Last edited:
Personally think your main image from benefit from a wider shot to capture the full surrounding circle. Really like the atmosphere in the earlier cyclist image
i know what you mean. I was half thinking of submitting it for the fill the frame technique, but decided against it after seeing it on the page. I did take a much wider shot too, but wasn't too sure about including the house, so I plumped for the close up.
I seem to be taking a lot of photos of this stone in lockdown :D

20210124-BC126616_1_week3.jpg

I like the composition personally - record shot or no. The rich blue of the sky and the contrast it makes with the stone is really nice.

It's a nice shot. Remoinds me a bit of Castlerigg and makes me miss it even more.

I like the composition personally - record shot or no. The rich blue of the sky and the contrast it makes with the stone is really nice.
Thanks. It did show the detail I thought, but I wouldn't have minded some snow! :)
I like that yellow flower in the crack
Yes I think it's an offering. My daughter was up there one day and a man was leaving crisps as an offering - seriously!
It's a nice shot. Remoinds me a bit of Castlerigg and makes me miss it even more.
Thanks. I'd like to visit Castlerigg - it looks a bit more exciting. The Longstone is on it's own now, but all the surrounding villages seem to be named after stones - Mottistone, Hulverstone, Limerstone, Brighstone... I don't know of any other remaining stones though.
Rock
That's a mighty big rock. I wonder how they got it there?
It always amazes me how they do these things and without any modern gadgets.

I like that lovely blue sky and an interesting subject although I do like the one with the cyclist too.

Really nice and colourful image in all this drab January...

I do really like the cyclist shot though. It looks almost surreal, as if he's going to try and cycle up it.

Nice back story Bee, #1 for me, as the stones are the main focal point.
#2 I keep looking at the house TBH.

A nice strong composition that shows the "offerings" too. Works nicely with the light as it is and the blue sky.

That's rather cool. So would that originally have been inside the barrow, but has been exposed by erosion?
I kinda think I prefer the last shot with more context to the stone in it's environment.

To quote Lord Whiteadder! "It looks like a.....thingy"

Very nice. I prefer the one with the house in shot.

It definitely needs something for sense of scale to really appreciate it's size. As you say, a record shot, but very nicely done.

Week 4: Tall

I have been out with my camera looking, but I am going to submit a shot which I have just re-edited using Film Pack 5 - from 2012 which I came across today. It was taken as a jpeg on a really rubbish compact camera. The puppets were from a french company and it was taken in Liverpool from my hotel window. The puppets were TALL! And one of them slept in this car park and we could hear her breathing all night.
Next week I promise not to do a record shot!! :D

IMG_0584-edit_week4.jpg
Edit: Hmm I've just found this one which to my mind better shows the puppet and puppeteers. I may have wrecked it with the frame :)

IMG_0583_1_2_week4.jpg

Edit: Link added for anyone who would like to learn more about this event and these amazing puppets. https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2012/05/the-giant-marionettes-of-royal-de-luxe/100293/

Last edited:
I like that lovely blue sky and an interesting subject although I do like the one with the cyclist too.
Really nice and colourful image in all this drab January...

I do really like the cyclist shot though. It looks almost surreal, as if he's going to try and cycle up it.
Thanks Ian. I felt a bit grumpy that he left a groove in the frost - he was back on the trail when I shot this, but he does add something. I'd like to try a milky way shot here, but I think it would be a bit spooky.

Nice back story Bee, #1 for me, as the stones are the main focal point.
#2 I keep looking at the house TBH.
Thanks. I agree and it's about 6,000 years too modern :ROFLMAO:

A nice strong composition that shows the "offerings" too. Works nicely with the light as it is and the blue sky.
Thanks. I've been back since and someone had spread all the flowers out on the flat stone.

That's rather cool. So would that originally have been inside the barrow, but has been exposed by erosion?
I kinda think I prefer the last shot with more context to the stone in it's environment.
Thanks. I'm not sure, but I see that Casterigg is possibly 3,000 years younger which surprises me. We have quite a few burial mounds around here which appear to be just mounds of earth - they've fenced a couple off now as the mountain bikers were using them for fun.

To quote Lord Whiteadder! "It looks like a.....thingy"

Very nice. I prefer the one with the house in shot.
Ooh er! ha ha! Definitely a big one :exit:

It definitely needs something for sense of scale to really appreciate it's size. As you say, a record shot, but very nicely done.
Yes - I should have saved it for this week - perhaps I could shoehorn it into every theme even as it's on my regular lockdown walk? :ROFLMAO:

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I'm sorry I've barely dipped in this week, so I have quite a bit of catching up to do!!

Week 4: Tall

I have been out with my camera looking, but I am going to submit a shot which I have just re-edited using Film Pack 5 - from 2012 which I came across today. It was taken as a jpeg on a really rubbish compact camera. The puppets were from a french company and it was taken in Liverpool from my hotel window. The puppets were TALL! And one of them slept in this car park and we could hear her breathing all night.
Next week I promise not to do a record shot!! :D

View attachment 307530
Edit: Hmm I've just found this one which to my mind better shows the puppet and puppeteers. I may have wrecked it with the frame :)

View attachment 307532

Great shot of the puppet! Wow, imaging seeing that. Just goes to show the old saying about the best camera being the one you have with you!

A couple of great shots of the 'puppet', certainly on theme and I really like he way you've PPd it. good job

That certainly is one tall puppet!
Any idea what the thinking was behind it? Part of a film or some such?

Wow is all I can say.. that is one huge puppet. Thanks for sharing. Any idea what it was used for?

@HelenC @Cobra I just googled as I couldn't remember! It was 100 years since the Titanic sank and a two day event with a whole family of puppets. There is more here https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2012/05/the-giant-marionettes-of-royal-de-luxe/100293/ My hotel was like that in no. 22!

We were there for a friend's wedding and faced lots of road closures for the event, so it made the wedding arrangements a bit more fraught, however, we had an amazing view and it truly was a sight to see. The little (giant) girl in the link spent the night outside our room.

@FlyPhot @Boots @SimonH Thank you for your comments. It looks like I got away with it this week, phew! I did shoot some local tall rocks and trees also. :D At the time I had a Canon 550D, but these were shot on a tiny Ixus.

Bloody amazing!
Thanks for the link Bee (y)
Yes I've been down a wormhole reading more. At the time we thought we struggled to get a hotel room because Liverpool were playing at home ha ha! We were in a great spot. It's a shame we had to miss a lot of it due to the wedding.

Apparently the creator Jean Luc Courcoult went back to Liverpool several times and had an affinity for the place. The puppets were retired in 2018. From all the pictures I've seen, it nearly always rained, as it did all weekend in Liverpool.

I went and saw this when it was on and also the return a couple of years ago absolutely amazing your picture captures the day perfectly, they also did one in London a good few years ago called the Sultans elephant there was a documentary on channel 4 about it fascinating stuff

I went and saw this when it was on and also the return a couple of years ago absolutely amazing your picture captures the day perfectly, they also did one in London a good few years ago called the Sultans elephant there was a documentary on channel 4 about it fascinating stuff
It really was an amazing feat - and to see some of the puppets emerge from water must have been amazing. I wish we'd been able to see more. I saw photos of the elephant on some of the links I followed. I think the 2018 spectacle in Liverpool was their final performance.
I lived in Liverpool for many years, so it was another wonderful memory captured.

Well that's something incredible and fantastic to have witnessed.
I must admit on first glance I thought "that's a cool bit of compositing", I then noticed the gallery and "wow, that was for real!"

Well that's something incredible and fantastic to have witnessed.
I must admit on first glance I thought "that's a cool bit of compositing", I then noticed the gallery and "wow, that was for real!"

Yes it was quite surreal. We didn’t know anything about it in advance, so we were extremely lucky to witness such a lot from the comfort of our hotel. We had to walk miles to get a taxi to the wedding [emoji23]

@HelenC @Cobra I just googled as I couldn't remember! It was 100 years since the Titanic sank and a two day event with a whole family of puppets. There is more here https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2012/05/the-giant-marionettes-of-royal-de-luxe/100293/

@FlyPhot @Boots @SimonH Thank you for your comments. It looks like I got away with it this week, phew! I did shoot some local tall rocks and trees also. :D At the time I had a Canon 550D, but these were shot on a tiny Ixus.

I had an Ixus at one time - I think a 55. I was looking back through some old photos a while back and found some taken by the Ixus that I felt were remarkably good from an IQ perspective given the how long ago it was and how small the sensor must have been. And as you say, tiny.

Back