weekly Bebop's 52 2021 - Week 52: Showcase

Took me a moment to find the pair... They're a little lost in the frame for me. Still - a very blustery looking scene that captures the recent weather we've been having very well.

That certainly looks like a blustery day... not sure I'd want to be walking my dogs out on those rocks in the wind. Nice shot of the wreck and bay though. A different take on the theme.

A different take on the theme, perhaps the ;subject' could have been bigger in the frame? A really nice image all round though, it really captures the weather and the colours and exposure are very nice indeed.

I'm with Ian, I wasn't sure what you were trying to capture. I do think it's a great scenic shot.

Took me a moment to find the pair... They're a little lost in the frame for me. Still - a very blustery looking scene that captures the recent weather we've been having very well.
That certainly looks like a blustery day... not sure I'd want to be walking my dogs out on those rocks in the wind. Nice shot of the wreck and bay though. A different take on the theme.
A different take on the theme, perhaps the ;subject' could have been bigger in the frame? A really nice image all round though, it really captures the weather and the colours and exposure are very nice indeed.
I'm with Ian, I wasn't sure what you were trying to capture. I do think it's a great scenic shot.
Thanks for dropping in everybody. Did somebody say the pair had to be big? :LOL:

Yes I concur they are extremely small in the frame. I thought the wreck and the weather were the more interesting parts of the image.... but there is a pair there! I'm afraid I shot it in the spirit of getting something this week and realise it's not going to win prizes for being most on theme... or for anything else come to think of it. :)

I though we were looking at a pair of shipwrecks, or something. Never mind, nice image, lots going on there.

Bang on theme for me.I think it works well. I like the position of the person and dogs in the frame showing them in their environment. Lots to look at in this shot.

That's a lovely scene. I'd love to be there right now!

I spotted the dogs but wasn't sure if there was another pair in the picture that I was missing. Not that it matters, it's a nice picture with lots of interest in it. Love the spray from the waves in the background of the image.

I though we were looking at a pair of shipwrecks, or something. Never mind, nice image, lots going on there.
Bang on theme for me.I think it works well. I like the position of the person and dogs in the frame showing them in their environment. Lots to look at in this shot.
That's a lovely scene. I'd love to be there right now!
I spotted the dogs but wasn't sure if there was another pair in the picture that I was missing. Not that it matters, it's a nice picture with lots of interest in it. Love the spray from the waves in the background of the image.
Hard to see pair, but it is there, looks very windy and wet.

Pete
Thank you all for dropping in and commenting. Yes you might have needed a pair of binoculars or glasses to see my pair :LOL: sorry about that. Hopefully I can put a bit more time in this coming week for the next theme. It was a wild and windy walk and my only time with the camera this week.

Week 7: Film

Inevitably featuring a squirrel. I did have some other contenders, but this was taken today and I think fits the bill.

The Nut Job - animated film from 2014 featuring... squirrels... apparently!

20210224-BCR_3735_week7.jpg

Can't argue with a squirrel shot and this is a good one. Don't know the film but will have to look for it now.

Can't argue with a squirrel shot and this is a good one. Don't know the film but will have to look for it now.
I confess I didn't either, it was a case of looking for a film to fit the image, or probably posting something too late. I was happy to find one that mentioned a nut!! :)

It fits... I've had to watch that film so may times that I actually like it now!

What a wonderful subject to get to work with, I'm quite jealous of your wildlife. Beautiful colours and the thin DOF really makes it jump out.

Lovely image, the cutest thing.

Alice in Wonderland features a squirrel. Have you got a blue dress? ;)

It fits... I've had to watch that film so may times that I actually like it now!

What a wonderful subject to get to work with, I'm quite jealous of your wildlife. Beautiful colours and the thin DOF really makes it jump out.
I'm afraid I'd never heard of it before which is probably a sign of the age of my children (and me!!). I'm glad someone has :)
I do love seeing the squirrels every day and watching them change - they seem to be changing colour at the moment.
Great capture of a cute squiddle.
Thanks Helen
Lovely image, the cutest thing.

Alice in Wonderland features a squirrel. Have you got a blue dress? ;)
Ha ha, thanks. I wouldn't want to scare the children :)

Nowt wrong with that. Smashing photo!!
Thanks David :)

Came here looking for half a squirrel.... Looks like I have to wait :)

Really great photo of the squirrel for film. Looks like he's moving which must have been difficult to catch and get such a good quality image from. Great stuff.

Came here looking for half a squirrel.... Looks like I have to wait :)

Really great photo of the squirrel for film. Looks like he's moving which must have been difficult to catch and get such a good quality image from. Great stuff.
:ROFLMAO: I do have a natural ability for capturing half a squirrel - SOOC

20201231-BCR_2785_DxO.jpg

Sometimes I excel myself and capture two halves at the same time, and of different squirrels :ROFLMAO:

20201231-BCR_2847_DxO.jpg 20201231-BCR_2848_DxO.jpg

I have to get the technique this week too... so I'm still working on it... so far have only put half a mind to it!

Thanks for kind comments on the film. They do dart about awfully quickly so they are a challenge to photograph.... as you can see :LOL:

I think these are actually quite amusing. They're not perfect but that makes them interesting... Would make a good zine or mini-book, or montage type image.

I think these are actually quite amusing. They're not perfect but that makes them interesting... Would make a good zine or mini-book, or montage type image.
It's funny you should say that. There is a group on Facebook called 'Crap Wildlife Photography' - some of the images are really funny and the comments can be hilarious. I have only posted once - that was half a blurry owl and it got about 1k comments and over 4k likes :LOL:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1479326849031169

Week 8: Half and Technique - fill the frame

A slightly past it onion at the 11th hour....

20210303-BCR_3985_1_week8.jpg

I also raised the exposure slightly, but I think I prefer the original - any thoughts?

20210303-BCR_3985_1_week8-1.jpg

Last edited:
Half
I think there is more perceived details in the first one, although it's getting viewed on that many devices, the majority will see a different representation. I'm presuming the other half was already used, potentially the inwards point part of the other side could have had more interest. (The parts where its not a clean cut end to end, if that makes sense!!)

It doesn't matter to me which one. I like them both. Great choice of background (that is itself a "half")

For me, filling the frame would be about getting even closer and concentrating on the internals. As presented I would like to have seen bit more room on the right and the bottom, but by giving more space around the onion, you're getting less of a filled frame.

Great subject though!

Nice subject and good for the theme. I prefer the 2nd one and would have possibly gone a smidge wider (although I realise you're doing the fill the frame theme). Nice background too, which suits the subject well.

Either would do for me - nicely done :)

Half
I think there is more perceived details in the first one, although it's getting viewed on that many devices, the majority will see a different representation. I'm presuming the other half was already used, potentially the inwards point part of the other side could have had more interest. (The parts where its not a clean cut end to end, if that makes sense!!)
That was exactly my thought about the detail. I did cut it specially and had the other half but my knife hadn't made a clean cut, I think because it was a tad soft.

It doesn't matter to me which one. I like them both. Great choice of background (that is itself a "half")

For me, filling the frame would be about getting even closer and concentrating on the internals. As presented I would like to have seen bit more room on the right and the bottom, but by giving more space around the onion, you're getting less of a filled frame.

Great subject though!
Thank you for spotting my half dark background :) That was deliberate. Yes it was the filling the frame that slightly crippled my composition - I wasn't sure what to do. I thought it might become an abstract if I went too far in :ROFLMAO: I'd like to try a similar shot much wider with lots of onions.

Nice subject and good for the theme. I prefer the 2nd one and would have possibly gone a smidge wider (although I realise you're doing the fill the frame theme). Nice background too, which suits the subject well.
Thank you. Yes it was the filling the frame that made me go so tight.
I think the first has a little more texture to it.
Thanks. That was exactly my thought. I felt it lost something when I lightened it.
I think that the first one has more of a feeling of 'wetness' to it. Which, to me, makes it feel more like it's past its best. I can almost smell it.
Thank you. I was expecting lots of people wanting it lighter, but I agree. I must admit my eyes were watering by the end :ROFLMAO:
Either would do for me - nicely done :)
Thanks Dave. I think it was worth a late night session with camera to be ready for today and the next theme! :)

Nice. Liking the hessian, perhaps a little tight around the roots.

Nice. Liking the hessian, perhaps a little tight around the roots.
:ROFLMAO: ok I'll admit... they weren't as sharp as I'd like, so they got cut off. Something my domestic science teacher said we should never do with an onion- cut through the hairy knob :oops: :$:ROFLMAO:

#1 is my preference. I like the gentle curve in the hessian.. it mirrors that of the subject.

Back